Telus High Speed Turbo 25 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Telus > Telus High Speed Internet and Home Phone

Old 2011-04-27, 09:39 PM   #1
dufferdan

Default Telus High Speed Turbo 25

Looks like my address can get this. I currently have the High Speed Turbo plan. My big issue is upload speeds for Slingboxing. For the Slingbox HD, you need at least 3+ Mbps upload. 2 may do it, but not sure. I currently just have the Slingbox Solo, which is regular def, but the picture is very shakey at the 700-800 kbps upload speed I currently have.

I am somewhat peeved because it looks like Shaw and Telus only allow 1Mbps upload with most packages (in practise 700-800 kbps max). I notice in another thread here, someone in Richmond with Telus attained 2.78 Mbps or so. How can we get higher upload speeds here? I see a lot of folks in the US can get 10+ Mbps upload.

And they tend to pay way less for their service as well, but we are very familiar with that story.

Has anyone got the HS Turbo 25 package? What are your speeds like.

Anyone know how to get higher upload speeds? Shaw?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-04-27, 11:00 PM   #2
coffeehead

I am with Shaw in Vancouver and have Extreme it used to be 1 up and 15 down.. A couple days ago it went to 2.5 up and 25 Mbps.. I do have a HD sling and work great.
Old 2011-04-28, 04:13 PM   #3
dufferdan

Wow! What prompted the change?
Old 2011-04-29, 03:21 AM   #4
coffeehead

Not sure. I think it may be due to Shaw losing people to Telus Tv. but not sure and love the speeds.
Old 2011-04-29, 05:12 AM   #5
Shaw Champ

Location: AB. LG47"LE5500/Toshiba 32E200U /BDC6500/ Shaw Gateway

@dufferdan it's part of a summer change up, starting with the Extreme level of Internet. Shaw had a lot of feedback with people wanting better uploads, I'd like to think the change was due to some of that.

Telus high speed turbo 25 should get you up to 2mbps upload if it is just the regular Telus Turbo that has up to 1mbps upload speeds.
Old 2011-10-31, 01:40 PM   #6
bac0

I'm also looking for a way to get higher upload speed for a Slingbox HD. I'm currently on Telus High Speed, 1Mbps up (actual upload speeds I see are more like 700k max)

unfortunately Telus tells me that I can get Turbo (15down/1up) but NOT Turbo 25 in my area. they could not tell me if or when Turbo 25 might later become available to me.

anyone know what the limiting factor on providing Turbo 25 to a neighbourhood?

just curious if there's ever hope of me getting >1Mbps upload from Telus, or do I need to consider switching to Shaw?
Old 2011-10-31, 01:58 PM   #7
Dr.Dave

The limiting factor is the distance from your house to the fibre optic node in your neighbourhood, assuming the node has been upgraded to VDSL2. A neighbour a few houses closer to the node may be able to get Turbo 25.
Old 2011-10-31, 02:38 PM   #8
bac0

thanks for the reply, Dr.Dave

well, I suppose that's not so promising news for me, if it's outside plant infrastructure like that
I was kinda hoping it might simply be that the nearest CO hadn't yet upgraded line cards or something...

is there any technical reason why upload speeds on non-Turbo25 lines couldn't be increased?
Old 2011-10-31, 04:46 PM   #9
Dr.Dave

There is a possibility when they upgrade the line cards at the fibre optic node to VDSL2 that you'll be able to get a higher speed. The line cards aren't in the CO for the Turbo plans unless you happen to live a few blocks from one.

There isn't any technical reason why the telco couldn't create a profile that had a lower download speed and a higher upload speed, but they generally offer a few standard profiles.
Old 2011-10-31, 05:53 PM   #10
bac0

thanks again Dr.Dave

I see... (it's been many years since I've been in a CO - and we had BC Tel back then!)

now, I'm thinking it's maybe not as hopeless as I thought, if I wait and see. I don't suppose bugging Telus periodically would increase the chance of availability of Turbo 25 on my line? meanwhile I assume there's zero chance they'd create a custom profile w/ higher upload, if requested?
Old 2011-11-01, 10:00 AM   #11
Dr.Dave

bac0, you may be able to find out from Telus if your local node has been upgraded yet, so you'll know if there's hope or not. "Bugging Telus" won't make it happen any faster unless the issue is a shortage of VDSL2 line cards in your local node. Some may become available around the beginning of the month as people move.

I think the chances of getting a custom profile are pretty slim. If Turbo 25 speed isn't available because of distance, you may still be able to order it and get the faster upload speed, but your download speed would still be limited. I don't know if Telus procedures would allow that to happen or not.
Old 2011-11-01, 12:46 PM   #12
bac0

thanks again for all the great info. I'll see if I can find out more from Telus.
Old 2011-11-01, 03:52 PM   #13
nmaf

just ran a test, through speedtest.

Download 24.00mbps, Upload 2.06mbps

That was from Calgary, to the Brooks location, because the Calgary location is giving me a latency test error.

I consistantly get 3100k/s download speeds off astraweb news servers.

i realize you're asking about upload more than download, but i'd estimate that a consistant 2mbps is a fair guess.
Old 2011-11-23, 08:32 AM   #14
staeit

Just got High Speed Turbo 25, and getting excellent speeds (I have Optik service as well so technically Optik turbo):

Old 2011-11-26, 03:37 PM   #15
x katt x

I have turbo 25 without optik. My upload is always above 2mbps. Usually 2.01-2.5 up.