Speed Change- New Extreme Speed Levels - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Communications > Shaw High Speed Internet and Home Phone

Closed Thread

Old 2011-04-27, 01:12 PM   #46
j0dest3r
Veteran

So what are they supposed to do, cap everyone at 7.5? If the pipe is smaller but 80% utilized or bigger but only 20% utilized the congestion on the backbone remains the same. Usage is usage regardless of the size of the pipe.
j0dest3r is online now   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-04-27, 01:43 PM   #47
audacity
Veteran

Well, increased end user speed without upgrading the portions of your network that are congested at peak times will increase the frequency of those routers actually being congested at peak times.

Either way, as data use grows Shaw will need to upgrade it's network. The question behind the addition of UBB is: are the capital costs of upgrading their network equipment greater now than they have been in the past. I'm sure Shaw has had to upgrade their gear in the past as they transitioned from offering a 5mbps service to offering DOCSIS 3 today. Has the rate of bandwidth use increased more dramatically in recent years? Did network gear get more expensive?

I don't know specifically what equipment they buy, but I imagine the price points for their network equipment probably will stay the same or (if anything) get cheaper; while at the same time becoming much more capable at enabling more network capacity. Just like everything else in computing.

So, in my mind these sorts of speed upgrades fit with the rate of "bandwidth inflation" that the internet experiences every year. This is a good thing because it is required as users consume more data, and it isn't justification for or against UBB.
audacity is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-04-27, 05:26 PM   #48
PokerChip
Veteran

Of course it is justification against UBB.

Speeds are increasing because more data is being consumed (per time unit). Shaw and other providers looking at UBB recognize this, which is why they upgrade their networks.

Yet, the caps stay the same. When do they recognize this by raising the caps?
Old 2011-04-27, 05:55 PM   #49
j0dest3r
Veteran

Why charge differently for different pipes then? Give us all a 100Mbit pipe for free and charge us for our usage and call it a day!
j0dest3r is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-04-27, 06:08 PM   #50
audacity
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0dest3r View Post
Why charge differently for different pipes then? Give us all a 100Mbit pipe for free and charge us for our usage and call it a day!
I completely agree, provided the bandwidth charges are based on the cost of providing the bandwidth. So, it's not $1/GiB, not even close.
audacity is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-04-27, 07:28 PM   #51
Gord Lacey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancesWithLysol View Post
Has the rate of bandwidth use increased more dramatically in recent years? Did network gear get more expensive?
Shaw said at the meeting that they have to split far more nodes now than in the past due to congestion problems during peak times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0dest3r View Post
Usage is usage regardless of the size of the pipe.
The problem isn't the amount of data being transferred, it's the speed. If you have a pipe that can deliver 1,000 Mbps, and you have 10 users at 50 Mbps, and 30 users at 15 Mbps you're using 950 Mbps out of your 1,000. Now you bump those 30 users to 25 Mbps you're using 1,250 Mbps and have to split your node (which is what costs money, and why Shaw is justifying UBB) to reduce congestion.

So Shaw giving users more bandwidth speed is going to end up costing them (and us) more in network upgrades.
Gord Lacey is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-04-27, 07:48 PM   #52
mike10

ever since this new speed increase I have not been able to reach the peak speed in the evening

so it seems like it has caused some congestion in my area
mike10 is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-04-27, 11:04 PM   #53
PokerChip
Veteran

Just downloaded a 683 MB file from Usenet. My first test of the sort during peak time (8PM local).

Averaged just under 2000 KB/sec, peaked at 2200. Quite impressive.
Old 2011-04-28, 07:32 AM   #54
admin

Folks this is not a UBB thread, Its about a new speed level so lets not get into anti-UBB rant.
admin is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-04-28, 12:06 PM   #55
Gord Lacey
Veteran

While I agree that this thread should be about the speed increase, UBB definitely comes into play here based on comments Shaw has made to justify their UBB implementation. Is it okay to continue discussing UBB in relation to this speed increase, but not UBB in general?
Gord Lacey is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-04-28, 04:49 PM   #56
downbeat

Exclamation Only UBB discussions as they relate to better transfer speeds

That's correct. Only UBB discussions as they relate to Shaw's announced speed increases, not UBB discussions in general.
downbeat is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-04-28, 05:59 PM   #57
adiabatic

Is there any hint of changes to the Warp package now? I rarely see the benefit of the 50 Mbps download... I'm on Warp for the upload speed and transfer cap. Now that Extreme and Warp have virtually the same upload speed I'm paying a huge premium for 75 GB more transfer each month.
adiabatic is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-04-28, 09:52 PM   #58
Shaw Champ

Location: AB. LG47"LE5500/Toshiba 32E200U /BDC6500/ Shaw Gateway

@adiabatic it would make sense to me that there would be other tier changes. The way we hear it at work is that the Extreme change is the first of new things to come. We should find out in around about a months time
Old 2011-05-20, 12:55 PM   #59
FaxCap

I got the computerized phone call from Shaw telling me how wonderful they are
for bumping my Internet Extreme to 25mbps. Trouble is all my speedtests show
slower speeds than before the change. My upload is higher averaging about
2.1-2.2mbps.

I'm going to start keeping a log then get ahold of Shaw with my results.

FaxCap
Old 2011-05-20, 02:44 PM   #60
heypeterman

Last edited by heypeterman; 2011-05-20 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Used incorrect location, correct results posted.
heypeterman is offline   Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.