HD quality - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Bell Canada Enterprises (BCE) > Bell Aliant Home Phone, Internet, IPTV

Old 2011-07-15, 04:37 PM   #76
Tridus

Quote:
Originally Posted by maritimer555 View Post
Hi

My viewing pleasure is primaririly sports. Therefore the quality is important. I'm seriously considering making the move from BEV to this new service. But frankly you guys are scaring me. it seems to me that the majority on here are having quality issues on action TV (ie sports etc).

I assume those having problems have actually called and complained. I'm curious how they reacted. There is also of investment here and alot on the line. as noted in an earlier post-they want to get it right. so i'm curious how your complaints were dealt with.

I'm holding off for now until this issue is resolved.
My advice is to call them and ask them if you have a grace cancellation period because you're concerned about this. Back when I got it, I changed my mind within 2 days and simply cancelled the TV (and kept the Internet) without penalty, but I was one of the very early adopters. Not sure if they still let people do that.

I do agree with some other posters that some of this is subjective and the only way to know for sure if it bothers you is to see the signal for yourself. I found the Rogers signal better for sports and movies, but if you only have TV with Rogers (which I do because FibreOP completely destroys Rogers on Internet service) you pay extra for that. If you don't notice a major PQ issue on your setup then the price may settle it for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-07-15, 04:39 PM   #77
Tridus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanie View Post
I'd be curious to see a list of people having issues and the brand of TV they're using since we seem to have a mixed bag of replies in this thread.

Looks likes Sports channels are the most problematic at quick glance. I'll check out a sports broadcast over the weekend to see if there are any quality issues (keep in mind I switched from Rogers and not BEV).

For starters, I'm running Fiber OP 2.0 on two Samsung Plasmas. If this is something worth tracking in a separate thread let me know and I'll gladly start one for data collection.

I may have mentioned this before, but the installers who hooked up my service mentioned they had minimal issues with Samsung and LG TVs. Other brands were either hit or miss from what they implied.
I'm using a 46" Sharp Aquos, probably 3 years old? Only issue I had was with pixelization on HD from Aliant being far worse then on Rogers. Rogers has some pixelization, but it's far less noticable.
Old 2011-07-15, 04:53 PM   #78
nuke12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanie View Post
Now that ya mention that, I think it may have been with HDMI issues and not PQ. That pretty much negates a chunk of my post haha.

I'd have to agree with you though. The quality debate is pretty subject in most cases.
You know, another pretty cool feature about humans? After we decide on what we are going to do, we convince ourselves it was the right decision.

We weight the decision over and over in our minds and decide it was the best move. Others might prove the decision wrong, but in the short run, we feel it was the best thing.

Nothing directly to do with PQ but the way the human mind warps things. If it don't work, we make it work, says the brain.

It got us to 2011, so it can't be all bad.
Old 2011-07-15, 05:22 PM   #79
Meanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke12
After we decide on what we are going to do, we convince ourselves it was the right decision.
It's funny you mention that, cause that's how I ended up on Fiber OP. I hummed and hawed if it was the right move and here I am!
Old 2011-07-16, 08:50 AM   #80
crazyhawk

.... what type of tv you have or cabling dont really matter when aliant reps them selves admit they are working on the HD quality...
Old 2011-07-16, 04:44 PM   #81
dbart

Look guys the bottom line here is some have compared this service to Bell sat and rogers. They all say fiberop is worse..and Aliant admits they are testing to see just how much they can get away with on bandwidth.

Well Im having FiberOp installed in a few days. I 've had Bell satellite for years...I'll let you know, and I will certainly let Aliant know
Old 2011-07-18, 07:13 PM   #82
NotoriousDRG

I found out a couple of interesting things today from my source (Engineering human not a pointless rep). They do not have different compression rates for their movie channels vs the regular channels. They are all exactly the same. I mentioned earlier I have no complaints with my picture quality DSL SD but I do notice the premium movies ie HBO look like dvds richer and crisper even up close. He said any difference you are seeing between channels has to do with the quality of the source from the programmer with respect to SD channels which is what I have. With respect to HD they have a few things they are trying including direct fibre source feeds vs satellite they get today and compression rates.
Old 2011-07-18, 09:13 PM   #83
dbart

Wink

lol...sounds familiar
Old 2011-07-23, 08:45 PM   #84
dbart

Ok i have Fiberop HD now. Comming from Bell Satellite I see difference in quality. Fiberop is softER and not as sharp on most channels, but some are just equal to Bell Sat. Pixelization is worse. All the SD channels are worse.

Last edited by dbart; 2011-07-23 at 08:50 PM. Reason: SPELL
Old 2011-07-27, 12:15 PM   #85
JimmyFace

You do get used to it but it's like a slap in the face when you first switch.
Old 2011-07-27, 12:44 PM   #86
timidement
Rookie

Is there a possibility for improvement? Is there the potential to reduce pixelation in the (near) future?
Old 2011-07-27, 12:49 PM   #87
habskilla

It's been reported here that Aliant has a working group looking at the issue. Who knows what, if anything, will come out of that group.
Old 2011-07-27, 01:37 PM   #88
Bdub

timidement, that's the frustration. The FibreOP tech is capable of the best HD given all their bandwidth. It's Aliant's business decision to put out the HD at the current bitrate so they can also offer HD over DSL.

I do find it encouraging that Aliant is investigating some way of improving the HD PQ.
Old 2011-07-28, 12:24 PM   #89
dbart

Even the standard definition channels are much worse compared to bell Satellite. The HD channels are no better than DVD 480p. and the satndard def channels are no better than VHS.
They really need to do something about this.
Old 2011-07-28, 01:14 PM   #90
habskilla

If you have issues with your HD, please call in and let Aliant know. I called and registered my dissatisfaction.