Showtime to pull shows from Netflix - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Internet Television: Streaming Services including Netflix and Apple TV

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2011-03-25, 11:41 AM   #16
m3t4lw01f

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
So if it isn't priced at rock bottom prices, you steal it?

Sorry but I have no time for that argument.
Not once did I say I condoned the act. What I said was that making it less convenient for people is a mistake. I stand by that statement. The rason I have no interest in Apple TV is because I have SIGNIFICANT investment in other technologies, and I simply don't want to add another $100 box to my setup.

Hell, I signed up for a VPN service so I could also sign up for US Netflix to get "legitimate" access to the content they offer, but ended up not all that impressed with the quality of it with my media center setup and cancelled it after a while.

I am not the enemy here. I'm just pointing out how I see this playing out. I see it playing out that way because that's the way it's played out every time a disruptive technology comes along that threatens the existing business.

I'll thank you not to call me a thief again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-03-25, 11:44 AM   #17
hugh
Member #1

I never called you a thief.

As I noted, I have no time for the extortionate argument that if a supplier doesn't make it "cheaper" then its simply inviting the stealing of its product.

You were bemoaning that fact Showtime shows are not available online but in fact they are.
Old 2011-03-25, 12:30 PM   #18
m3t4lw01f

I wasn't saying they need to make it cheaper, just more convenient. I'm willing to pay a reasonable fee for access to stuff. That's why I've maintained an active cable tv sub for so long (At least the last 11 years). I found value in the service for the price I was paying. (The only reason I am cancelling my cable now is to afford data plans on a couple smartphones...in this case, the money I save on cable tv is going to the same company I'm paying for the smartphone plans...so they lose nothing.)

I wasn't making the "I can get it for free so why would I pay for it argument". I was making the "Look at the hoops I have to jump through to legally watch this on my xbox" argument. What I'm saying is that by making it more complicated (not more expensive), they are inviting trouble. You have to agree that by moving shows from a very simple service to a walled-garden service, they are making it more complicated.

In the future, it would be great if a service like Netflix existed where you could go for one-stop-shop access to everything. They are taking a step away from that, not towards it, and I find that extremely frustrating, especially knowing what technology allows these days. I can guarantee that if they did have all that first-rate content I'd be (and my guess is a lot of the media-consuming public would be) willing to pay more than $8 a month for it for the convenience alone. Right now, with the current content selection, it's really only worth about $8 a month.

I apologize for assuming your comment

Quote:
So if it isn't priced at rock bottom prices, you steal it?
wasn't directed at me. It felt like it was.

Tags
netflix, showtime