Accessing Hulu/US Netflix from Canada with PlayOn/TubeCore in WMC - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Internet Television: Streaming Services including Netflix and Apple TV

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2011-03-10, 01:15 AM   #1
m3t4lw01f

Default Accessing Hulu/US Netflix from Canada with PlayOn/TubeCore in WMC

Since this is kind of a special case scenario that I haven't read about too many people using, I thought I'd start a new thread.

I am using Windows 7 with Media Center, XBOX360 Extenders, a PlayOn media server, and TubeCore to access PlayOn inside media center both on the mce machine and on the extenders.

It works flawlessly for anything that we have access to by default in Canada.

So, step 2 was to try and get access to Hulu/US Netflix.

I tried both A DNS redirection service and A L2TP VPN Service). Both services work fine when accessing Hulu/US Netflix in a browser. When trying to access them in PlayOn (Both directly on my DLNA client (An XBOX360) and in TubeCore in MCE) Hulu fails with a message saying that it's only available inside the US. Netflix seemed to work fine, however.

After hunting some more, it turns out that PlayOn is actually responsible for this blocking. They're using a service to detect proxy/vpn/redirection tricks. The solution is to add the following to your hosts (C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\) file:

127.0.0.1 j.maxmind.com
127.0.0.1 maxmind.com

Once you do that, bingo. Hulu access via PlayOn.

I won't get in to my disappointment with PlayOn for adding that blocking in their software, as this thread isn't about that end of things, only the technical details to get it working.
m3t4lw01f is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-03-10, 02:10 PM   #2
bdoyledimou

I haven't had any problem with Hulu and Playon
bdoyledimou is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-03-10, 08:57 PM   #3
audacity
Veteran

So I gave PlayOn a shot last night (thanks for the suggestion).

I'm not sure if this is due to my HTPC being a little weak (Phenom), but when using Hulu on my XBOX via PlayOn the video quality is substantially worse than watching the same Hulu video directly in Flash on a PC. I figured that a quad-core processor (even though it's no speed king) would be sufficient to do the real time transcoding, but I could be wrong about that.
audacity is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-03-10, 11:16 PM   #4
m3t4lw01f

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancesWithLysol View Post
So I gave PlayOn a shot last night (thanks for the suggestion).

I'm not sure if this is due to my HTPC being a little weak (Phenom), but when using Hulu on my XBOX via PlayOn the video quality is substantially worse than watching the same Hulu video directly in Flash on a PC. I figured that a quad-core processor (even though it's no speed king) would be sufficient to do the real time transcoding, but I could be wrong about that.
I've noticed this as well and my processor is a 6-core Phenom II 3GHz.

I don't know, but I have a feeling that PlayOn is reducing the bitrate perhaps more than it needs to just to ensure smooth playback when transcoding.

I have a few 720p MKV's that my machine transcodes for my xbox360 and they look absolutely amazing so I definitely think it's something to do with PlayOn. Who knows, maybe it's just the fact that it's "legal big media content" and they don't want it to be as good quality through PlayOn since you can get it on your TV? (Conspiracy theory there!)
Old 2011-03-10, 11:45 PM   #5
m3t4lw01f

Did some more reading and PlayOn pretty much maxxes out at 480p for any online video.

If you go into PlayOn Settings though, and change the 'Video Performance' setting to Max (instead of Auto) it does seem to do a better job. Also, if you're using TubeCore for Media Center/Extender access, in it's settings you can select to have PlayOn stream to WMV instead of MPEG2 and it cleans it up a bit (Well, that's my perception of it anyhow) as I think that WMV format is MPEG4 so there's better quality in the same bitrate.

Both worth a shot to increase your video quality.
Old 2011-03-12, 08:20 PM   #6
j0dest3r
Veteran

I will have to try this PlayOn thing it sounds interesting. Last night I got Netflix US working in the Nextflix app on Windows Media Center. Ironically you cant use paypal to register, it rejects it as a Canadian account. A Canadian credit card and a boguss U.S. address worked fine tough. I am using a US DNS to get around the geolocking. Video quality seems good. I had the US DNS service free for a week and then they extended it for another week after emailing me asking about how the trial went. The Internet TV stuff in 7MC works nicely with this setup as well.

Last edited by j0dest3r; 2011-03-12 at 08:27 PM. Reason: getting rid of the *****'s
j0dest3r is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-03-14, 10:37 AM   #7
m3t4lw01f

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0dest3r View Post
I will have to try this PlayOn thing it sounds interesting. Last night I got Netflix US working in the Nextflix app on Windows Media Center. Ironically you cant use paypal to register, it rejects it as a Canadian account. A Canadian credit card and a boguss U.S. address worked fine tough. I am using a US DNS to get around the geolocking. Video quality seems good. I had the US DNS service free for a week and then they extended it for another week after emailing me asking about how the trial went. The Internet TV stuff in 7MC works nicely with this setup as well.
Here's a question: Is there an alternative to the "DNS Masking Utility that cannot be named" that works the same way?

I like how that works since you're not losing any bandwidth to a VPN, but I don't like supporting spammer operations. If there were another service that did the same thing I'd give it a whirl.

Anyone know?
Old 2011-03-31, 10:21 AM   #8
smp01

can you install the PlayOn streamer on your WMC box, effectively streaming it to itself? I would like to get NetFlix inside the WMC interface
smp01 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-03-31, 03:33 PM   #9
j0dest3r
Veteran

what do you mean you don't like supporting spammers? us vid has a rep as being spammers?
j0dest3r is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-03-31, 05:03 PM   #10
pnear

I've tested PlayOn as well, and note that it has video quality degradation as well. In their forums, they say they've been testing HD transcode but no ETA.

TVersity Pro does however offer configurable target size for the transcode, but I haven't had a chance to try it (and they have a money-back guarantee instead of a free trial which is a bit annoying).

Both should work with TubeCore.

Pete
pnear is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-04-06, 07:50 AM   #11
CHolmes
Rookie

I have play on and WDTV, can someone give me a step by step to getting around the fact HULU and US Netflix and other US stuff wont work?
CHolmes is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-04-13, 05:27 PM   #12
Wayne
Veteran

Why use PlayOn on WinMCE when accessing US Netflix as there is a pretty good add-in for MCE? The Hulu desktop addin also works well although it throws you out of MCE but then it seems to bring you back fine.

The question is why use PlayOn when you can get most of these services directly in MCE? Is it to avoid needing an Xbox Gold sub? I use PlayOn since that is the only way to get Netflix and Hulu via SageTV extenders but it has some drawbacks as mentioned above.
Wayne is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.