iPad 2 ships March 11th (March 25th in Canada) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Smartphone and Tablet Computing including Android, Blackberry and iOS devices

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2011-03-02, 01:29 PM   #1
hugh
Member #1

Default iPad 2 ships March 11th (March 25th in Canada)

New A5 Dual core processor which is twice as fast as A4
Same power consumption as A4
Rear and Front facing cameras
Gyroscope
33% thinner than iPad
Available in White and Black
Available for AT&T and Verizon
HDMI Out

Same price as last year $499 for 16GB WiFi Version.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-03-02, 01:29 PM   #2
hugh
Member #1

Reserved for Apple Press Release.

Note Canadian Availability is March 25th. Pricing in Canada is the same as U.S!

Quote:
Apple today introduced iPad 2, the next generation of its magical device for browsing the web, reading and sending email, enjoying photos, watching videos, listening to music, playing games, reading ebooks and much more. iPad 2 features an entirely new design that is 33 percent thinner and up to 15 percent lighter than the original iPad, while maintaining the same stunning 9.7-inch LED-backlit LCD screen. iPad 2 features Apple’s new dual-core A5 processor for blazing fast performance and stunning graphics and now includes two cameras, a front-facing VGA camera for FaceTime and Photo Booth, and a rear-facing camera that captures 720p HD video, bringing the innovative FaceTime feature to iPad users for the first time. Though it is thinner, lighter, faster and packed with new features, iPad 2 still delivers up to 10 hours of battery life* that users have come to expect. iPad 2 is available in black or white, features models that run on AT&T’s and Verizon’s 3G networks, and introduces the innovative iPad 2 Smart Cover in a range of vibrant polyurethane and rich leather colors.

“With more than 15 million iPads sold, iPad has defined an entirely new category of mobile devices,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “While others have been scrambling to copy the first generation iPad, we’re launching iPad 2, which moves the bar far ahead of the competition and will likely cause them to go back to the drawing boards yet again.”

With the new front and rear cameras, iPad 2 users can now make FaceTime calls to millions of iPhone 4, iPod touch and Mac users so they can see family and friends anywhere there is Wi-Fi. Photo Booth lets you apply fun visual effects, including eight photo special effects like Squeeze, Twirl and Kaleidoscope, to photos captured by either camera.

iPad 2 comes with iOS 4.3, the latest version of the world’s most advanced mobile operating system, with new features including faster Safari mobile browsing performance; iTunes Home Sharing; enhancements to AirPlay;** the choice to use the iPad side switch to either lock the screen rotation or mute audio; and Personal Hotspot to share an iPhone 4 cellular data connection over Wi-Fi.*** Additional iPad 2 features include a built-in gyro for advanced gaming; HSUPA support for enhanced 3G upload speeds on iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G on AT&T, and HDMI Video Mirroring that lets users mirror their iPad screen on an HDTV using an optional adaptor.

The innovative new iPad 2 Smart Cover provides protection for the iPad screen while maintaining its thin and lightweight profile. Designed with a unique self-aligning magnetic hinge that makes it easy to attach and remove, the new iPad 2 Smart Cover automatically wakes iPad 2 when it’s opened and puts it to sleep when it’s closed, and has a soft microfiber lining to help keep the screen clean. The Smart Cover also folds into a stand for typing or viewing videos and is available in vibrant polyurethane for $39 or rich leather for $69 in a range of colors, including a (PRODUCT) RED one which helps support the Global Fund to fight HIV/AIDS in Africa.

Apple also introduced two new apps: iMovie and GarageBand for iPad, both available on the App Store? for just $4.99 each. With iMovie, iPad 2 users can shoot and edit videos right on their iPad and post their movies to YouTube, Facebook, Vimeo and their MobileMe? gallery; watch them on their iPod, iPhone or iPad; as well as view them on their HDTV using AirPlay and Apple TV. GarageBand turns your iPad into a collection of touch instruments and 8-track recording studio, allowing you to perform with onscreen keyboards, guitars, drums and basses using multi-touch gestures–even if you don’t play a musical instrument.

Pricing & Availability

iPad 2 with Wi-Fi will be available on March 11 for a suggested retail price of $499 (US) for the 16GB model, $599 (US) for the 32GB model, $699 (US) for the 64GB model. iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G will be available for a suggested retail price of $629 (US) for the 16GB model, $729 (US) for the 32GB model and $829 (US) for the 64GB model. iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G compatible with the Verizon network will be available in the US only for a suggested retail price of $629 (US) for the 16GB model, $729 (US) for the 32GB model and $829 (US) for the 64GB model. iPad 2 will be sold in the US through the Apple Store (www.apple.com), Apple’s retail stores and select Apple Authorized Resellers. iMovie and GarageBand for iPad apps will be available on March 11 for $4.99 each from the App Store on iPad or www.itunes.com/appstore.

iPad 2 will be available in Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the UK on March 25; and in many more countries around the world in the coming months. Further international availability and pricing will be announced at a later date.
Old 2011-03-02, 01:31 PM   #3
james99

The magnetic cover is cool.
Old 2011-03-02, 01:53 PM   #4
Cyclism

Location: Vancouver - OTA, Pioneer KURO Elite Signature PRO-141FD, 27" iMac, WDTV Live.

Nice hardware upgrade, and thinner/lighter, but no retina display screen and no built-in USB or SD slots. May hold off some more and see what iPad3 will bring.
Old 2011-03-02, 02:01 PM   #5
TKG26
Veteran

Some more specs on the unit:

33% thinner profile and sport the following specs:
Dual-core A5 processor (2x faster and 9x the graphics processing of the A4)
front and rear-facing cameras
9.7-inch capacitive touchscreen display
16, 32 or 64 GB capacity
WiFi and 3G connectivity
gyroscope (similar to the iPhone)
HDMI out (1080P)
1.3 lbs (down from 1.5 of the original iPad)
available in white with support for Verizon and AT&T
starting price of $499 for 16GB WiFi model
New case accessory will cover the front of the device using a magnet to hold it in place and toggle the sleep state of the device
iOS 4.3

Some added specs and its worth a look at the magnetic cover:
http://www.apple.com/ipad/#smart-cover
Old 2011-03-02, 02:26 PM   #6
Tezster
Veteran

That SmartCover looks very cleverly designed.
Old 2011-03-02, 02:37 PM   #7
james99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclism View Post
......and no built-in USB or SD slots. May hold off some more and see what iPad3 will bring.
I doubt any of these Apple products will ever have USB/SD. It's great for photos but Apple wants to sell you a "bigger" device.
Old 2011-03-02, 02:47 PM   #8
QuickSilver

The only thing that held my interest today was 4.3 with Personal Hotspot and the ability to access my iTunes library over Wi-Fi using my iPhone 4 or iPad. My iPad is wi-fi only so waiting to see how Bell and the rest of the telcos handle it....if at all.

As for the iPad 2 I will be waiting until the iPad 3 comes out.
Old 2011-03-02, 02:53 PM   #9
hugh
Member #1

One iPad is not enough for our household so we'll likely get one when they get here.
Old 2011-03-02, 03:13 PM   #10
morikaweb

Quote:
I doubt any of these Apple products will ever have USB/SD. It's great for photos but Apple wants to sell you a "bigger" device.
Problem with that idea is Apple seems to not understand a meer 64GB is not enough room. I am willing to pay for storage so where is the 256gb or 500GB modle? 64Gb is just pathitic without any external storage capability.
Old 2011-03-02, 03:16 PM   #11
hugh
Member #1

Folks please discuss your problems and issues with Apple in other threads. This thread is for the discussion of the iPad 2 only.
Old 2011-03-02, 03:17 PM   #12
james99

For me, a tablet (any brand) needs SD support. When I travel I take lots of photos. A 2.5" screen is to small to realize something is wrong with the photo.

My netbook serves me well for this function, amongst other things.

The other thing about the Ipads, too damn big. It's probably the main reason i rarely see them out in public. I'm sure the size is fine for the house but i need portable that is portable.

All that being said, if you were on the sidelines, lots of folks will be jumping off the fence.
Old 2011-03-02, 03:24 PM   #13
Francois Caron
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
One iPad is not enough for our household so we'll likely get one when they get here.
Who gets the new iPad?

Spec-wise, it's pretty much what I expected aside from the graphics capabilities being 9 times faster than on the original iPad. Even more important is that the battery performance is still 10 hours. If that had gone down, that would have been a big problem.

The cameras should be interesting. What are the chances someone will have the iPad oriented in such a manner that all anyone will see at the other end is a video of a family member's crotch?

As for me, I'm not getting it. My main beef is Apple's application oriented operating system which simply doesn't have the flexibility and the freedom of a file oriented operating system.
Old 2011-03-02, 03:59 PM   #14
windsordude51

Hugh - has pricing in Canada been confirmed? Press release (if I'm reading it correctly) says that international pricing will be announced at a later date.
Old 2011-03-02, 04:13 PM   #15
hugh
Member #1

It was listed on the Apple Canada Store site at around 2pm. (and yes it was the iPad 2!)

I notice that since then the site has changed. Perhaps it was an error. I will investigate further