Is Shaw phone on twisted pair now? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Communications > Shaw High Speed Internet and Home Phone

Old 2011-02-25, 02:16 AM   #1
Bad Bluto

Unhappy Is Shaw phone on twisted pair now?

So i had Shaw show up on my door step today. Wanted to get me back. I am with Telus for all my services right now. Biggest reason I left shaw was thaT the phone service was not up to standards, ie loss of service for days.
So this solicitor told me that Shaw's phone service now uses the same lines coming into the house that Telus uses.

So, any merit to this, or is he just blown' smoke??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-02-25, 09:55 AM   #2
joudbren

Pretty sure he's just blowin' smoke. Telco's control the copper pairs to the house as far as I know and the cableco's control their own cable. Shaw installs their own discrete phone modem to their own copper that then connects your internal phone jacks to the modem.

I've switched back to Telus for phone as well after 2 or 3 years with Shaw phone. The service was ok with Shaw but I went with Telus Optik TV and Internet so it was just easier to move everything back. I did however have a handful of times where I had to physically reboot the Shaw telephone modem to get things working properly again (no dial-tone, crackly voices, etc.) and also in the last few months had a handful of times where I dialed the phone and got the "all circuits are busy" message.

No such issues with Telus phone service. Cheers!

P.S. In fairness to Shaw, one thing that bugs me with Telus is they charge me $2 per month to have my phone number unlisted. I don't think Shaw did that. Our Telus phone number also comes up on call displays now as Unknown Caller and they apparently can't change that if your number is unlisted. Shaw could definitely have our phone number and name show up properly on Call Display's but still have it unpublished in the directory and 411. Minor detail but still an annoyance.
Old 2011-02-25, 11:43 AM   #3
Boss

chances are, those sales reps are contractors and probably dont have alot of real world knowledge how the system works.

shaw does not, and cannot use telus wiring on the street.

telus dial tone starts on the streets, feeds into the home.

shaw dial tone starts in the house (digital phone terminal) and back feeds to the rest of the house wiring, and then telus gets disconnected at the telus cse outside, preventing dial tone back to telus.

in the early stages with shaws phone service, there were issues with equipment etc. just like when telus first started phone service (or previous company) they would of had issues as well.

its the nature of the beast, just like how telus is having alot of issues with there tv service. they will get it figured out sooner or later, but without issues, nothing will get fixed!
Old 2011-02-25, 06:31 PM   #4
Dieselfoot
Rookie

more than likely an idiot sales rep just trying to get a sale. They don't have a clue how any of the services work and generally tell the potential customer whatever they want to hear. They have caused the shaw installers endless headaches and lost income because of it. The shaw phone only uses the existing lines inside the house.
Old 2011-02-25, 08:09 PM   #5
Bad Bluto

Default Thanks

That is what I thought. I questioned him on that and he said quoting him here" shaw owns all the Internet handling in the province, and allows Telus use of the Internet,so Shaw gets full use of Telus's copper for phone"
I know, but that's what he told me.
It sounded ludicrous but I had to see if there was any truth in there.
Oh he also told me that Telus's headquarters are in Florida and they have a presence in Vancouver only for ownership regulations.
First time I heard that little ditty.
Old 2011-02-25, 09:25 PM   #6
Boss

telus IS american.. that is true.
Old 2011-03-02, 11:51 PM   #7
hddave

Question Bunch of BS

"telus IS american.. that is true."

Where on earth did you get that information from? Telus was founded in Alberta and amalgamated with BC Tel. Check it out on Wikipedia.
Old 2011-03-03, 10:51 AM   #8
Cockroach

A long time ago, BC Tel was owned/controlled by a U.S. telephone company based in Connecticut named GTE. Not sure if GTE (now apparently part of Verizon) still holds any interest in Telus, which was the renamed Alberta Government Telephone.
Old 2011-04-18, 02:00 AM   #9
CableGeek
Rookie

Default Clarification...

Hi All

This is my first post... I have first-hand knowledge on a few items in this thread so I thought I'd way in...

First - Shaw's Digital phone does NOT run on Telus's lines. Dial tone is achieved from the MTA portion of the digital phone terminal located in the house. The Shaw installer will ensure the dial tone is connected to the wiring in your house (which is twisted pair) to all jacks. Shaw's phone runs on a private, dedicated VOIP network that only connects to the POTS (public telephone system) from main backbone switches.

Second - Telus did start in Alberta as AGT. As did Shaw. However, when it comes to "ownership" that depends on who owns the majority of shares - not where the offices are located. Shaw has ownership of fibre and cable providers as far south as Florida and all the way to both coasts.