Why would anyone get NetFlix? (What are you watching?) - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Internet Television: Streaming Services including Netflix and Apple TV

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2011-08-27, 03:10 PM   #76
ebusinesstutor
Rookie

I am surprised at some of the unrealistic expectations from some people about Netflix.

In my mind, it doesn't replace new release movie rentals, rather it replaces the low cost older movie rentals I used to get for $1.99 to $2.99 per rental. At that price, it is a real deal. Instead of only 4 per month, I can watch as much as I want for $8, on demand, without going to the video store.

As said before, if every video became available on Netflix immediately upon release, there would be no DVD sales and no movie rental companies.

Would I like more selection? Sure. But they do add new shows nearly every week, so the selection keeps growing.

And I find myself trying many new shows to see what they like. Sometimes I am disappointed, but sometimes I find amazing gems like Republic of Doyle and Life on Mars that make it worthwhile.

And yes, it is not the same selection as the US, but this is because many of these movies and shows were licensed to networks in Canada in ways that make it harder to license them here.

I think over time, the selection will start to approach the US selection.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-08-28, 01:16 AM   #77
BCScott

I'm with David here. If I'm going to watch a movie, I want the best quality possible. I don't have Netflix, but if the quality isn't there, I wouldn't bother. I also wonder what will if bandwidth charges become more common. $8/month might just be the start of the expenses.
Old 2011-08-28, 01:37 AM   #78
spensar

Problem for me was that the older movies on Netflix that interested us are ones we have seen before, sometimes multiple times. Pretty well all the others are ones that we have seen once and won't watch again, or are ones of zero interest.

I can see it for parents with kids, as there seems to be a good amount of children's programming.

There's no right or wrong, depends on tastes and what you have seen. I'm older and have to much of the offerings for it to be of personal interest.
Old 2011-08-28, 11:58 AM   #79
woodsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCScott View Post
I'm with David here. If I'm going to watch a movie, I want the best quality possible. I don't have Netflix, but if the quality isn't there, I wouldn't bother. I also wonder what will if bandwidth charges become more common. $8/month might just be the start of the expenses.
Don't base whether or not quality is there on David's experience because he's clearly not getting the same experience as others. If you have the sustainable bandwidth, Netflix in Canada can and does do 1080p (X-High HD) on many of their movies so yes, the quality is there. For example, I can watch the Last Air Bender (crap movie yes), on Netflix w/my PS3 or WDTV Live Plus and put the Blu-Ray in and I see little or no difference in PQ on my 42" Sony Bravia KDL-42V4100. Do all movies come in that quality on Netflix? No. Nor should you expect it for $8.00/month.

My prediction is that Blu-Ray, just like CDs, will hang around pretty much mainly for the collectors. The future of post cinema content is streaming video and NOT physical media. If anyone doesn't see this, they're living in under a rock. It's common knowledge now that Blu-Ray has not lived up to it's expectations in sales and likely never will.
woodsie is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-08-29, 11:41 AM   #80
hugh
Member #1

After complaints from members, I have removed numerous off topic posts.

The subject is Why would anyone get NetFlix? so please lets stick to the pros and cons of NetFlix.
Old 2011-08-30, 12:47 AM   #81
camilos

Last weekend, my kids watched Sponge Bob and Avatar. The wife and I watched Machete(I forced her to watch this one) and Being John Malkovitch(a classic). How much would that have cost me at BlockBuster?

I would get rid of my cable if I could but my wife can't live without the food network.

I personally think Netflix is great if you realize its only 7.99$. If you rent one episode of a TV show on PSN/Xbox it costs more than 3$. If you rent an HD movie it usually costs 6$ or more. Sure Netflix is not perfect but when you compare it to the alternatives, i think its great.
camilos is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-08-30, 10:58 AM   #82
cbar1965

I can't speak for others, but we get the $7.99 value probably paid back in a few days each month. I subscribe to the US service (using a proxy and my Canadian credit card). I have kids, so maybe that's the secret. Having grown up with PVR's, they hate comercials. So Netflix's selection, plus being commercial-free, is a winner for them. We have two iPad2's, which they also use for viewing Netflix. Hardly ever have any buffer issues, other than if I'm downloading something. And no issues with picture quality at all.

My wife is using it to watch and catch-up on shows she's never watched - 30Rock, MadMen, etc. Actually, I'm probably the only one in the family who doesn't use Netflix that often. But then I'm busy using the same proxy to watch BBC and ITV programming from the UK.

I would still not give up my Bell subscription, which makes up the majority of my viewing. For a measly 8 bucks a month, it's a very nice supplement to my family's viewing .
cbar1965 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-08-30, 11:04 AM   #83
hugh
Member #1

I trialed it and our family finds it well worth the $8 a month.

My wife, son and I work out on an elliptical trainer most days. Often we will watch stuff from Netflix while exercising. Great way to get through 30 or 40 minutes!

A lot of times my wife will finish watching the show or movie on her iPad Netflix app before going to bed.
Old 2011-08-30, 11:11 AM   #84
cbar1965

Hugh, sounds like my family! Great point on the incentive to exercise - be it Netflix or something saved on the PVR (I still have the old Bell 9242 two-remote, which allows me to access it in my exercise area without disrupting the rest of the family's viewing).
cbar1965 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-08-30, 11:31 PM   #85
spensar

Quote:
I subscribe to the US service
Is there that much more than the Canadian version to make it worth the effort to get it?
Old 2011-08-31, 01:00 AM   #86
flavoie

TV show selection is better in the US service.

Back on topic, why would I get Netflix ? Because I can get the Canadian service in Canada and with their new roaming feature, the US service when i'm in the US (from a PC browser only)
flavoie is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-08-31, 01:25 AM   #87
Rolando

I tried it knowing full well would cancel after trial. Having discovered a few tv shows, caught up on some catalog titles and still finding more well... Months later I am still subscribed and love it.

Will I cancel cable? No. But don't go to video store at all. Got movie network recent movies, HBO for cool series, buy must have Pixar Blu Rays and watch Netflix as a filler when we've caught up on our TV shows on PVR. I at least get my $8 worth if I see 2-3 catalog movies and a few episodes of 2, 3 different TV shows per month.

As for the US Netflix well:
I was in new York on vacation and logged on from my laptop to see and it is a WORLD OF DIFFERENCE. I would pay $10 to $12 a month for those choices. Got to see some of Batman under the red hood and saw the selection was much wider for movies.

Actually if anyone knows a way to be able to access that from here it would be great. Don't understand why I have to cross the border to see different movies with same subscription and user id.
Old 2011-08-31, 01:27 AM   #88

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by spensar View Post
Is there that much more than the Canadian version to make it worth the effort to get it?
spensar and Rolando: Please see the following thread on that topic and as mentioned in post 86, let's stick to the topic.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=143683
Old 2011-08-31, 01:38 AM   #89
flavoie

There is also this thread
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=102023
flavoie is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-08-31, 03:36 PM   #90
spensar

Seems like that if you go to lengths to get the US version, you don't think the Canadian one is worth it. Hence the question on the US one. I don't think it is on topic to say Netfilx is great but are referring to the US option. Let's have an apples to apples discussion.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.