MTS is slow... - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > MTS

Old 2011-02-12, 10:37 PM   #1
mikealanshow
Rookie

Default MTS is slow...

Because of the special one year ultimate tv offer - jumped ship to MTS. Big mistake. Saving money but wasting so much time waiting for pages to load and I may as well cancel Netflix.

Setup - MTS 2-wire router - hardwired to my Apple Extreme - hardwired to imac.
Apple tv hardwired from MTS - everything else is wifi.

Situation 1
I live in Winnipeg and test using the speedtest.net Winnipeg server - Rainy Day Internet. During the day speeds peak at 7.28 Mb/s download. At night things really slow down. Switch over to the Brandon server and the speed is back up. How can that be night after night? MTS speedtest comes back fine too. But yet compared to Shaw, speed is way down and connecting to Facebook or igoogle can take up to over a minute.

Situation 2
2-wire wifi is horrible. With the imac - sometimes get up to 5 Mb/s but most often around 3. iphone speedtest is around 1 Mb/s with the same Winnipeg server. iphone used to get 7 or better with Shaw.
How can this be?

Situation 3
Netflix - Apple tv hardwired from MTS router (2-wire). Movies take up to 2 minutes to start (Shaw was almost instant) and they pause to catch up every 10 minutes. Horrible. But yet my download speeds with speedtest (Brandon) show they should be fine. MTS speedtest through their site gave me 800kB/sec. What is going on MTS?

You can see the difference in Winnipeg/Brandon servers - these are done on the imac via ethernet.

mikealanshow is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-02-13, 02:46 AM   #2
dscott01

Why don't you call MTS tech support and see if they can help resolve your issues?
dscott01 is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-02-13, 03:07 AM   #3
Macman

I agree. And maybe they'll escalate it to a higher department if the line stats don't look so good.

I wonder if there's something quietly slowing down your connection. It's probably not as likely with a Mac, but who knows... I hope it works out for ya.

Keep us posted
Old 2011-02-14, 11:00 AM   #4
Dr.Dave

I'm not clear on your configuration: Is the imac the only thing connected to your Apple Extreme. Have you tried removing the Apple Extreme and just using the 2Wire?

Did you follow the MTS guidelines when you set up your router?

MTS PDF: http://www.mts.ca/file_source/mts.ca...figuration.pdf

If you are using the 2Wire WiFi have you checked your configuration? This link will take you to the wireless config page on your 2Wire. You will need the 10-digit key from the side of the 2Wire.

http://192.168.100.254/xslt?PAGE=C05...5&NEXTPAGE=C05

The power setting should be 10.

If you have WiFi on the 2Wire and the Apple you can have problems. If the 2Wire is located in the basement, you may also have a weak WiFi signal.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2011-02-14 at 12:45 PM. Reason: More info
Dr.Dave is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-02-21, 01:36 AM   #5
Macman

Interestingly, I heard from the guy in charge of the UTV service that setting the power level to 10 does not improve anything and may only cause interference and/or possibly cause the transmitter to overheat or something. I forget the details, but he basically said to leave it at the default value (3800 is level 4 I think, and the 3801 i think is a little higher...level 6?)

When I was contracting, I also believed higher was better, so I set them all the 10 too. Apparently not. Just a heads up
Old 2011-02-23, 01:11 PM   #6
Huffer

I was also told by my installer to leave the power setting to no higher than 8. He said that raising it up past 8 can cause problems to the TV stream.
Huffer is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-02-27, 10:14 AM   #7
Mozza

This is certainly different that most experiences with MTS internet in the recent past. I'd say you need to get a call into tech support before you post here, even!
Mozza is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-10-09, 02:21 PM   #8
allangles
Rookie

Default a suggestion

Hello, I recently switch from Shaw. I have 2 2-wire routers and 2 separate dsl lines coming into my house. If not you would be sharing bandwidth with you TV.

I did up grade my internet package to lightning MAX for and extra $10 a month.
So for tv and net 75 a month.

hope that helped
allangles is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-10-09, 03:27 PM   #9
Dr.Dave

Welcome allangles and thank you for your suggestion. However, I don't think it applies. The maximum bandwidth for 2HD and 1SD streams in use at once is 16.3 Mbps and the typical bandwidth for an Ultimate TV line is 32 Mbps which leaves about 15 Mbps for internet. Some locations that are quite far from the fibre optic node can only achieve 28 Mbps which may be the reason that 2 DSL lines were installed to provide you with TV and 15 Mbps internet.

BTW Lightning Bolt is the same price as Max and it's faster.
Dr.Dave is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-10-09, 04:02 PM   #10
mtsguy

or he could also be on a pair bonding
mtsguy is offline   Quick reply to this message

Tags
mts internet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.