Rogers billing cycle - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Rogers Communications > Rogers High Speed Internet and Home Phone

Old 2011-02-05, 11:44 PM   #1
thousandtrees
Rookie

Default Rogers billing cycle

Hi there,

I plan to call Rogers about this, first chance I get, but I'd like to have some ammunition to take with me into that battle. Here's my situation.

I live in a 2-person apartment that has had three people in it for all of January due to a visiting boyfriend. We're on Rogers Express Plan with 60GB bandwidth allowance. This plan is a burn on both my roommate and my boyfriend who come from places where unlimited internet is way cheaper than in Ontario (Vancouver and Britain, respectively). But nonetheless, we're usually pretty careful about not going over our limit.

Our bills indicate that our billing cycle closes on the 24th of each month. In January we received a 75% usage notice around the 19th of the month and adjusted our usage habits accordingly. Regardless of this, we received a 100% usage notice - on January 25th. This gave me immediate concern and I should have dealt with it at the time, but believing that our billing cycle was ending, we tried to use as little internet as possible for about 2 days and then went back to our normal habits. Now, I've received a bill which still says that our billing cycle closes on January 24th, but has charged us for 8 GB over the limit! I find it unfathomable that we went through 8GB of bandwidth in 2 days while attempting to use minimally.

Is rogers engaging in some kind of dodgy billing practice? I've never been successful in setting up their MyRogers service, despite many attempts, so it's difficult for us to monitor our usage more closely.

My most immediate solution will be to depart Rogers and their stupid overage fees in favour of Teksavvy, but our contract isn't up until April and it'll cost heaven only knows what to leave it early.

Do I have any recourse in the short term? Is there a software I can install to monitor our usage in the future?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-02-06, 12:54 AM   #2

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Check out the following previous similar thread, and the search terms there for still more threads. Suggest you work to get MyRogers functioning, perhaps with Rogers assistance.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=136205

Then check out the following post, useful for those new to the forum - FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization, etc:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741
Old 2011-02-06, 08:21 AM   #3
whitbyterry

We went over last month but I knew we were. I believe the 75% and 100% warnings are at least 24 - 48 hours behind when you go over. So you might have used those 8 GB in 3 days and possibly even 4 days.

I agree with 57, get My Rogers working. Dropping out early means giving back your special discounts for the entire year. It is not as bad as leaving a cell phone contract. But it will still cost your more than the overage charges if you go over only 8GB. The overage charges would only be a few $ per month/person.