Rdio now available on Sonos (like Spotify) - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Home Theatre Personal Computer (HTPC) and Media Extenders

Old 2011-01-31, 10:23 AM   #16
NeilN
Veteran

bucketo, I also have a Slacker account and you're right that Slacker is focused on providing personal radio stations. Its customization options in that area are much better than Spotify's. However, as you say, Slacker has no on-demand functionality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-02-07, 10:26 AM   #17
hugh
Member #1

I have subbed to Rdio. I enjoyed it enough that I will try it for a month of two. The online access plus the iPhone app tipped me over.

In a month or two, I will review again and possibly reconsider Spotify
Old 2011-02-07, 04:10 PM   #18
audacity
Veteran

I'm very happy with Rdio on Sonos. I subscribed this past weekend.
Old 2011-02-17, 01:14 PM   #19
hugh
Member #1

New Rdio app for iPhone this week.

Much improved.
Old 2011-02-19, 02:41 PM   #20
Swagger200

Default Which package?

I am liking my 7 day trial. Good selection and very good sound quality. Think I will sign up for the 4.99 streaming only plan. What about the rest of you? I have an iPhone but doubt the sound quality would be as good over 3G. Seems you can download and sync also but I read that there may be Canadian restrictions in this area.
Old 2011-03-31, 10:41 AM   #21
bucketo

Hey Hugh and gang,

How is Rdio treating you guys? I'm still playing with the free version of Spotify. I really love the fact you can listen to any song any time. I was getting a bit tired of the ads and decided I'd try the pay membership. They have it pretty locked down though, can't use my Visa and with Paypal they check the country of origin so I really can't find a way to pay (sad isn't it, someone wants to pay for something and can't).

If I can find a way to pay for Spotify (UK) I may look elsewhere. Going to try the 7 day trial of Rdio today and compare it to Spotify, see if the same music I've found in Spotify comes up in Rdio etc.

cyas
Old 2011-04-05, 05:33 PM   #22
bucketo

I gave the 7 day trial a go and ended up signing up. I used a virtual Entropay Visa card as they seem to lock your content to Canada or USA based on the card.

Loving it so far. Tuesdays like today are fun to look over the new releases.

Anyone interested in "following" eachother?

My account is bucketo, link here:
http://www.rdio.com/#/people/bucketo/
Old 2011-06-20, 12:01 PM   #23
hugh
Member #1

Four months into it and I am still a fan of Rdio.

IN addition to Sonos integration, the family loves the ability to download songs to their iOS devices. My kids and I both have the Billboard 100 playlist synced to our iOS devices.
Old 2011-06-20, 12:40 PM   #24
bucketo

Hugh,

I'm with you. I think the playlist feature alone and the work some of the users do with em is worth the price of admission.

Here are are few that might interest you and the fam:

I keep this one up to date:
★ Billboard Top Rock Songs ★ Jun 25

A friend keeps this one current:
Canada Alternative Rock Top 50 - June 14 2011

Some guy keeps this one up to date:
Great Cover Songs There are some crazy covers on here. good for a laugh
Old 2011-06-20, 01:04 PM   #25
hugh
Member #1

Thanks. I'll take a look. I love the ability to gets access to lots of popular new music.
Old 2012-08-21, 03:51 PM   #26
wantmorehd

Anybody still using this service and would like to comment how things are now. I'm thinking about signing up for this or getting a Spotify account. Need to figure out which service will serve my needs better.
Old 2012-08-21, 04:55 PM   #27
NeilN
Veteran

I use both Rdio (the $4.99/month web version) and Spotify (significantly more expensive as I'm paying someone in the U.S. extra). If I had to pick one I would pick Spotify for its ability to merge local music tracks with their online collection, their (slightly better) radio feature, and their app ecosystem. Rdio, however, is a lot better with showing new releases and since it runs in a browser, it's a lot more lightweight than Spotify's increasingly heavy client.
Old 2012-08-22, 01:29 PM   #28
wantmorehd

Thanks NeilN.

It looks like it will be closer for me as I don't need the ability to merge local music tracks.

I'm going to test Rdio over the next 7 days to see how I like it.
Old 2012-08-22, 01:33 PM   #29
wantmorehd

Just read this article that Spotify might be coming to Canada soon.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000..._sections_tech

Of course, without a firm date or more details, I still consider it vaporware.
Old 2012-08-22, 04:45 PM   #30
hugh
Member #1

From the article
Quote:
The annual account filing contains a management report, dated April 23 this year, where Spotify said a launch on the Canadian market is planned.
Not exactly rushing it are they?

When it arrives in Canada, I will investigate, however, I am still quite happy with Rdio on Sonos so it would have to have some compelling new functionality for switching. My kids also use Sonos on their portable devices without any problems so its a great deal at $10 a month.

Tags
music, rdio, sonos