which cell phone provider is better. - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Digital Forum Help and Administration > Archives > 2004

Old 2004-06-06, 12:16 AM   #1
recycleman02

Default which cell phone provider is better.

hey guys. looking at getting a cell phone again. Wondering which provider you go with and which has better service. I have been with telus about 2 years ago. liked the service but found it too expensive. Been with rogers about 5 years ago. Okay service. which one do u use?

btw i live in alberta.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2004-06-06, 08:05 AM   #2
Televisioner

Telus is strong in the West. I use it here in Ottawa and it works great. I mainly travel in "big" cities so I'm almost always using the digital network. Sometimes I get some "echo" were I can ear myself one second later after each word, but I guess you get use to it. I'm not sure if it happens when i'm on Digital or Analog. I would have to check that actually.

Never used Rogers but never heard bad things either. I think you should go with the company that offers the best suitable package for your needs (not theirs ).

My 2˘
Old 2004-06-06, 11:51 AM   #3
Nanuuk
Veteran

I have two accounts with Rogers. No complaints at all. I've never tried Telus or Bell. Friends swear by Telus. I agree with Televisoner's advice.
Old 2004-06-06, 12:01 PM   #4
JohnnyG
Veteran

I'm on a "grandfathered" package with Telus (ClearNet originally) and have no real complaints about the service, and certainly can't complain about the price. They keep sending me deep-discount offers on new phones, but I have to switch to a current package. Nice try guys! I will need a new handset pretty soon, but I guess I'll be paying full price.
Old 2004-06-06, 12:11 PM   #5
shawguy
Premium Supporter

Location: Winnipeg with MTS Ultimate TV, MTS Lightning 10 & VOIP Phone Service.

I guess the repetation varies from province to province. In Manitoba I have only heard bad things about Rogers, and alot of Bad things about Telus, whereas MTS is the way to go in Manitoba for a cell phone. Can these companies vary that much in service from province to province?

Shawguy
Old 2004-06-06, 04:20 PM   #6
recycleman02

thanxs for the replies. Im currently leaning towards telus, but through my employer (city of edmonton) i can get a pretty cheap package through bell, which telus can't touch. sigh. decisions, decisions. anyone try bell???
Old 2004-06-06, 10:32 PM   #7
dc

If the majority of your usage will be in populated areas then all of the major providers are basically the same. If you can get a good deal with Bell then I'd say to go with that.
Old 2004-06-07, 11:18 AM   #8
Arthur Dent
Veteran

It's funny how people don't care about one of the most important aspect of a phone conversation - quality of the sound. To me it's the second most important thing after getting good reception at the places I frequent.
In terms of sound quality all Telus and Bell, as well as old Rogers TDMA phones are absolutely awful compared to the GSM phones on Fido and Rogers. The worst sounding and cheapest phone on Fido sounds much better than the top of the line Bell or Telus phone. I guess people put up with that just because they've never had the chance to compare with a GSM phone and assume that however the phone sold to them by the Telus dealer sounds, that's how all phones are supposed to sound.
Besides the sound quality, another thing Bell and Telus salesman are successfully tricking lots of customers, is their coverage area advantage. OK, Telus covers pretty much every piece of prairie in Alberta. But why would you pay all year the highest rates just to be able to make a phone call (which most probably you won't need) once a year from those remote sites?
I've been with Fido for three years and couldn't be happier.
Old 2004-06-07, 11:59 AM   #9
JohnnyG
Veteran

I can't see the correlation between modulation methods and sound quality?? It shouldn't make a difference at all.
Old 2004-06-07, 12:21 PM   #10
Arthur Dent
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyG
I can't see the correlation between modulation methods and sound quality?? It shouldn't make a difference at all.
It all comes down to the audio codec used. The one on the GSM networks uses about 12 kbps and is ironed out to perfection, while on the CDMA networks (Bell and Telus) they use about 5-8 kbps or worse at peak hours. As a result, there is more capacity (savings for the provider), but worse sound quality - hollow and muddy sound.
In theory CDMA networks could have the same sound quality as GSM, but in practice the difference is more than obvious.
Old 2004-06-07, 12:45 PM   #11
eljay
DHC Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycleman02
... through my employer (city of edmonton) i can get a pretty cheap package through bell, which telus can't touch. ...
That sounds like a pretty good reason to go with Bell. :P
Old 2004-06-07, 03:19 PM   #12
JohnnyG
Veteran

Quote:
In theory CDMA networks could have the same sound quality as GSM, but in practice the difference is more than obvious.
Well that was exactly my point. You can say that, in your experience, Fido has better sound quality, but you can't say it's because they use GSM. The downside to Fido is that their phones (at least most of them)work ONLY on the Fido network, so no roaming capability.
Old 2004-06-07, 04:24 PM   #13
Arthur Dent
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyG
Well that was exactly my point. You can say that, in your experience, Fido has better sound quality, but you can't say it's because they use GSM. The downside to Fido is that their phones (at least most of them)work ONLY on the Fido network, so no roaming capability.
It's not only "my experience", this observation can be found from any unbiased source that has ever dealt with the issue. It's an undisputable fact. Maybe I didn't make myself clear in my previous statement - although Telus and Bell could use a better codec (higher bandwith), they have decided NOT to use such. Therefore, their sound quality is ALWAYS inferior Fido and Rogers.

As for "roaming", I'm not sure what exactly you mean. "Roaming" by definition is an agreement between wireless providers, which allows customers from one of them to use the network of the other - usually when the home provider does not have coverage in that area. AFAIK, Bell still use Telus' network in the West, so it's not really roaming - they just don't have a network of their own. I don't know what the situation is in the East.

As for roamimg - Bell and Telus only have international roaming in the US. At very high rates. Fido - seamless roaming in the US at 20c/minute and complete worldwide roaming. Bell/Telus - miserable selection of bulky phones, all very expensive because of their limited production quantities. You lose or break your phone - you pay at least $400 for replacement. With Fido/Rogers you can choose between at least 20 times more handsets for all tastes, not only the ones listed on the Rogers/Fido websites. Fed up with your 1 year old phone - go online and buy a shiny new handset for $200. With Bell/Telus you are stuck with at least 3 year old technology and the highest rates becuse of the contract.

I know people don't realize those disadvantages or don't really care - especially when they hear the magical words "biggest coverage" and automatically assume they will be travelling everywhere within that coverage all the time. As an advice - if you hear a salesrep point out even one more advantage of Bell/Telus over the competition - know that he's lying. There aren't any other. And phone salesmen of these 2 particular companies are notorious for lying to the public.

But, of course, if you have a good deal through an employer, arguing is irrelevant.
Old 2004-06-07, 05:55 PM   #14
recycleman02

authur. I had fido when they first came out in the west. It would work only in the center of edmonton. I lived in the deep south of edmonton, and signal quality was bad. lived in a basement suite and i could never use it. I think i had it for just a couple of months before i changed over to rogers. Still undecided. I have an old audiovox phone from telus, i might just reactivate and go pay as u go. sigh,
Old 2004-06-07, 06:42 PM   #15
JohnnyG
Veteran

Quote:
Maybe I didn't make myself clear in my previous statement - although Telus and Bell could use a better codec (higher bandwith), they have decided NOT to use such. Therefore, their sound quality is ALWAYS inferior Fido and Rogers.
Fine fine fine...all I'm getting at is that Fido does not have better sound because they use GSM instead of CDMA/TDMA.

As for roaming, most (if not all) of Fido's handsets are GSM *only*. This means that you cannot roam into a non-GSM network. For this reason, Fido usually works only in major centers where a GSM network exists. Europe is all GSM, so if travel to there regularlly, Fido might be exactly what you want.