Yamaha HTR6295B - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Home Theatre Corner > A/V Receivers and Amplifiers

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2011-01-21, 12:18 PM   #1
Sparky55
Rookie

Default Yamaha HTR6295B

Does anyone know if the Yamaha HTR6295B (available at FS) is the same model as the RXV2065? It certainly looks identical to me - even the specs. If it is I think it is a pretty good deal at $649.
Sparky55 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-01-25, 11:31 PM   #2
Tedfroop

Default Not totally sure..

I am not totally sure but usually Yamaha makes several "grades" of receivers. This applies to a 6295 vs a 6295b. A quick google also tells me the 6295B is only available from big box stores. Usually stores with big buying power will get something that has popular features and hits a price point for them but is short of a feature or two compared to the original model or has lower grade amplifiers.

One of the big differences I can spot right off the top is that the RXV has discreet amplifiers. Past that I would do some research online to find what other owners think of each model and its features. I would also go to Yamaha and read the manuals to compare.
Tedfroop is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-01-26, 08:37 AM   #3
eljay
DHC Supporter

Looking at the Product Info. pages for both models - RX-V2065 | HTR-6295 - the only obvious difference between the two is the inclusion of "Ultra low jitter PLL circuitry for HDMI and any digital sources" as a feature for the RX-V2065. (But I suspect the 6295 would have this as well.)

All other features - including "Digital ToP-ART and High Current Amplification with discrete amp configuration" - are common to both.

IMO, the HTR-6295 looks like a good buy. If its only weakness turns out to be a lack of power - and given that the 6295 has a full set of pre-outputs - you can always resolve that issue by hooking it up to a nice Emotiva power amplifier.
Old 2011-01-26, 03:28 PM   #4
Sparky55
Rookie

Well, I bought the HTR6295B. I also downloaded the manual from the Yamaha website for the RXV-2065 and as far as I can tell it is the same model. All the specs and features are identical. I believe this will be a great replacement for my old RXV-1000 which still sounds good, but doesn't handle HDMI. Hopefully I will have time to hook it up Friday.

Now if I could talk 57 into coming to Northern Alberta to set everything up for me...
Sparky55 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-02-14, 02:46 PM   #5
Mach Diamond

I was looking into the 6295B which sells currently at FS for less than what it was during boxing day, it is very very tempting considering its capabilities.

However, while the 6295B is a network receiver it does not seem to be DLNA certified if you trust Yamaha's web site. There is no mention of DLNA in the user manual either.

That would be a significant difference with the RX-V2065 which is DLNA certified, besides a couple of other minor differences such as XM radio input.

Lack of DLNA is a dealbreaker - although I am only interested in streaming audio. Can someone please give his experience in that regard?

Now the intriguing part is that at dlna.org the 6295 is listed as DLNA certified, but it also says that it has XM radio which obviously the 6295B does not have.

So methinks that the letter B in 6295B is not just for cosmetics, it really is different model.

Last edited by Mach Diamond; 2011-02-14 at 09:35 PM. Reason: confusing typo
Mach Diamond is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-02-14, 10:18 PM   #6
Costa

The Streaming radio feature is better than you'd assume. You'll find any radio station, from local to international. You can search and bookmark stations. It makes an having an am/fm antenna obscelete.

The only thing that bugs me is not waiting or seeing the sales of the future. I paid $1000 for the unit, no other regrets.

Would have preferred to customize the front panel "Scene" buttons. Instead of having them for HDMI port 1, component 1, etc.

A lot of pro's about the receiver, if i can think of anything that stands out, especially as a con, i'll be back.

Questions? shoot away.

Also, pretty sure the b doesnt mean anything but black, check out a store and look at a box to confirm it.
Old 2011-02-15, 10:54 AM   #7
Mach Diamond

Thanks Costa good info.

By streaming I meant from a digital media server.

For example, can I "Play To" the receiver from Windows Media Center 12 ?

I suspect it works with the RX-V2065 but not the HTR-6295B. There must be a reason why Yamaha lists one as DLNA certified and the other not.
Old 2011-02-15, 12:44 PM   #8
Mach Diamond

I though I might as well ask Yamaha directly via their support page, and they emailed me back a mere two minutes and twenty five seconds later

Following response: "Yes, the HTR-6295 is DLNA certified. You can play music through windows media player 12 but you have to share files in the WMP and pick the files through the receivers GUI."
Old 2011-02-15, 03:30 PM   #9
Costa

BTW: It states that it's DLNA device on the website, under connectivity.
Old 2011-02-15, 08:23 PM   #10
MrBizi

Hey Costa, how would you rate the sound quality of streaming radio, is it at least comparable to FM radio? Also, how often do you experience problems with e.g. buffering, signal dropping etc? Seems like a neat must-have feature for my next AVR purchase if it works well. Thanks!
MrBizi is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-02-15, 09:44 PM   #11
Costa

The sound quality depends on the station, for example, the station that I listen to streams at 192 kbps. So the quality is great.

Streaming radio in general doesnt take much bandwith, and there really isnt any buffering. I actually stream from my phone in my work truck too, and it never ever needs to buffer.

Also; anything is better than fm radio, lol. At 192 kbps, the quality stands out.

You'd be suprised with the amount of stations that come up, you'll have thousands of stations with every category to choose from.

This option is a must have, imo.
Old 2011-02-16, 09:47 AM   #12
Mach Diamond

My question to Yamaha support led to the addition of the DLNA statement on the web site yesterday. It wasn't there before. They also fixed a dead link I reported on the 6295 firmware update page.

I've got to try that Internet radio...
Old 2011-02-16, 01:25 PM   #13
QuickSilver

I use the network Radio feature quite a bit on my Yamaha RX-V3900 and love it. The wife really likes it to as she can listen to her European dance/trance music.
QuickSilver is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-02-17, 10:21 AM   #14
dab

Default Yamaha 6295B Internet Radio Problem

Costa et All - I have just recently purchased this receiver and am having difficulties in getting Internet connectivity. I suspect it is a router/firewall issue (D-Link 615) but have yet to solve the problem. The unit is recognized on the network, and has been assigned a DHCP IP address. I verified this against the MAC address of the receiver. I thought I might have to add the receiver as a virtual server, but this did not seem to work. I have my Apple Tv configured this way and it works fine. I beleive I can add more than one virtual server according to the D-Link manual. If anybody has some insight here it would be much appreciated.
dab is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-02-17, 02:39 PM   #15
Costa

Try checking the network settings on your receiver.

-Click "On Screen", then head to the bottom of the list to find "Setup" and enter. Drop down to "Function Setup" and inside you'll see "Network". Not sure if my setup is what it came by default, or if you need to make changes but here is what I have:
-In "IP Adress", DHCP is On.
-Mac Address Filter is Off.
-Network Standby is Off.
It sees all the information properly too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.