gas fireplace makes a banging sound - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Not the Digital Home > Home Fix-up including Appliances, HVAC and Power Tools

Old 2011-01-18, 10:45 PM   #1
shades
Rookie

Question gas fireplace makes a banging sound

I have a Heat & Glo 550 gas fireplace that is about 5 years old. It has started ( at times ) to make a banging noise. These bangs are at about 20 second intervals. I noticed when it is making this noise that the pilot light flare for a moment like it is lighting the main burner. It has done this with the thermostat off but more often the fire place is on and the flame has cycled off and the fan is on. Most of the time if you turn the thermostat to high and then off it stops the banging.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-01-18, 11:38 PM   #2
johnt2_2002

Could be just the metal expanding and contracting as its heating up or cooling down. Normally its a few popping sounds as it continues to heat up, vice versa as it cools..

Is this the first time operating the fireplace? Have you used it before with no noise up until recently?

I wouldn't be too alarmed about it--but have a maintenance done on it. The heat n glo units are pretty good IMO...
Old 2011-01-18, 11:41 PM   #3
TKG26
Veteran

is the banging the sound of metal expanding and contracting? Common on fireplaces im afraid. OR are you getting banging from a partial or delayed ignition. The pilot flairs up your saying? This happens when the main burner is off and just the pilot is lit? Sounds like you may have a gas valve that is not completely closing...
Old 2011-01-19, 12:10 AM   #4
johnt2_2002

TKG26 may be also correct on the gas valve. Are all burners lighting fully? Wonder if the burners are partially clogged with a spiders nest.....

It would be best if you have a technician thoroughly service the fireplace and check it all out for your safety.....
Old 2011-01-20, 04:10 PM   #5
shades
Rookie

thanks for the imput. the banging is caused by the flaring of the burner. just the pilot light is lit when it flares. when the burner is on it seems to be fully lit up. we had a gas tech in but he said he was just there to clean the unit ( which he did ) He said he did not know what was wrong and would investigate it but we have not heard anything back. I do not think the sound is caused by expantion and contraction.
Old 2011-01-20, 05:42 PM   #6
TKG26
Veteran

Ask the tech to hook up his manometer to the outlet of the vavle. And just watch it with the unit off but pilot lit. There should be 0.00"WC reading.. any reading would indicate a passing gas valve. And the only repair is replacement. To me it sounds like you have a faulty valve.
Old 2011-01-26, 08:42 PM   #7
shades
Rookie

thanks TKG26 i wll look into it
Old 2011-03-02, 10:57 AM   #8
MartinGStuart
Rookie

Default Fuel type?

If you're burning propane (LP) it could just be an extinction pop when the flame shuts off. Propane is heavier than air, so when the burner is shut off, it will burn down to the height of the burner, and then suddenly ignite all the gas sitting in the burner, making quite a pop. If you're burning Natural Gas (NG) I would suggest a manometer test to make sure your valve is shutting off properly.

The valve works off a very fine electromagnetic coil that lifts and drops a plunger using only 750 mv. It could be that this plunger is stuck, seating crookedly, or that the coil is burned out. A new valve can be pricey though, so hold on to your hat, it could be as much as $450 to get a new valve installed. Either way, I'd suggest getting a fireplace expert to look at it, it'll likely cost you $90, but you will know for sure what the matter is.