Best Mexican Restaurant in Lower Mainland of BC? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Not the Digital Home > News, Weather, and Sports

Old 2011-01-16, 02:02 PM   #1
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Question Best Mexican Restaurant in Lower Mainland of BC?

Last night we dined at íViva Mexico! Restaurant in Langley (old Langley downtown) and it was the best Mexican food we've ever had in the Lower Mainland, beating Las Margaritas in Kitsilano, Poncho's on Denman in the West End, and Luna Loca in South Surrey (was previously in White Rock).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-01-16, 04:35 PM   #2
runnin'

The best Mexican food I've ever had was in Bellingham WA. Sorry I forget the name, but the next time you visit down there, Take the Guide Meridian Exit from the I-5 and head north. It's a few blocks up from Bellis Fair Mall, you take a right and will see the obviously Mexican place within a 100 meters on the left.

Funny I assume that you've been to Bellingham and know the Bellis Fair mall area! Am I right?

I got curious and found the appropriate google map. It's called Lorenzo's Mexican and it's on Bakerview Road and the above directions are accurate, except you can't exit the I-5 to the Guide Meridian, but if you've been to Bellis Fair you already know this.
Old 2011-01-17, 02:00 AM   #3
Cockroach

Do˝a Cata on Victoria @ 35th in Vancouver (conveniently only a 5 minute walk from my house) has been acclaimed as an authentic Mexican restaurant though perhaps more like a taqueria. It's patronised by a lot of Mexicans (casual observation) and has a salsa bar with 10 different salsas.

There's some new place on E. Hastings called El Barrio that claims to offer upscale authentic Mexican.
Old 2011-01-17, 02:07 AM   #4
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Both of those sound promising as long as they are full service. I did not know about Do˝a Cata. We used to live/work in California and Texas so we know real Mexican food.
Old 2011-01-17, 08:35 AM   #5
Simonizer

"It's patronised by a lot of Mexicans".

Wow, that's a long drive for people for people to come up from Mexico just for a meal!
Old 2011-01-17, 12:50 PM   #6
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Hee hee, actually that's not a lie. The west coast is a seasonal migrant worker route for many Mexican and Central American agricultural workers. We have a Salvadoran restaurant nearby that is frequented by many who come up through California, Oregon, and Washington for the harvest work in the Fraser Valley. As a result of this changing demographic, SeaTac now has Spanish-language TV and radio stations.

Our gain is their hard work and their cuisine! Salvadoran food is a bit more seafood-based than Mexican, and people interested in this thread topic might want to try the Emanuel Restaurant at 92 Ave and Scott Rd (120th) on the Surrey/N. Delta border: http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...12,133,,0,1.81
Old 2011-01-17, 09:12 PM   #7
Cockroach

There's a couple of Mexican restaurants just down Victoria Drive from Do˝a Cata (on the east side of 36th) that may be more Salvadorean. Note sure which part of Mexico the owner of Do˝a Cata (it's named after her abuela but it is very regional though they have a (very) few Tex-Mex dishes (e.g., chimichangas) to satisfy the demands of the non-Mexicans.

If you wish to make your own, there is an independent supermarket located at Elliott (or Clarendon) and E 49th Ave called Killarney Market which is owned by a Japanese Peruvian. They must have a lot of Mexican clients as they sell a lot of fresh tortillas and queso fresco, dried beans in bulk, as well as chilies, tomatillos, jicamas and other products from Mexico and South America (Peru being the focus). More than I've seen in any other store. My first clue about the Peruvian ownership was the cashier, a small woman of Japanese ethnicity talking to one of the customers in Spanish.
Old 2011-01-17, 09:27 PM   #8
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

There is also a Latin American market right next to íViva Mexico! Restaurant in Langley.

If you like to make your own Mexican food a great TV show for that is "Mexico One Plate At A Time" on PBS. No commercials, and Chef Rick Bayless gives cultural and historic background to the cuisine too.
Old 2011-01-17, 11:47 PM   #9
Michael DeAbreu

Gina's in Nanaimo. As far as my family is concerned, Gina's sets the standard against which all others are compared, and which none have surpassed.
Old 2011-01-18, 01:56 AM   #10
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

That'd be a pretty expensive night out (ferry fare included) so I'd like to stick to the Lower Mainland. Nice tip though for my family on the Island.