CRTC Moves To Allow Broadcasters to Knowingly Lie - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > Television Industry / Channels and Providers

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2011-01-13, 01:52 PM   #1
NeilN
Veteran

Default CRTC Moves To Allow Broadcasters to Knowingly Lie

Current broadcasting law:
5. (1) A licensee shall not broadcast
(d) any false or misleading news.

Proposed change:
(d) any news that the licensee knows is false or misleading and that endangers or is likely to endanger the lives, health or safety of the public.

I fail to see how this proposed change fulfills the CRTC's mandate to "ensure that both the broadcasting and telecommunications systems serve the Canadian public." unless Fox-style political coverage is a good thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-01-13, 01:58 PM   #2
hugh
Member #1

Please your subject is false.

The change makes a lot of sense. Its simply saying that you cannot knowingly broadcast false or misleading information that could cause harm.

How is that allowing broadcasters to lie?
Old 2011-01-13, 02:02 PM   #3
NeilN
Veteran

It adds a caveat to the "no lying rule". Before, you couldn't report, for example, that politician x voted to support abortion when that clearly wasn't the case. Now, since the public's safety is not endangered, that report would be fine.
Old 2011-01-13, 02:12 PM   #4
hugh
Member #1

If a news outlet knowingly published falsehoods then the politician can sue. Mr. Harper and several other politicians have done so over the years.

Slander should be dealt with in the Civil courts not through the CRTC and Industry Canada decisions.
Old 2011-01-13, 02:28 PM   #5
NeilN
Veteran

What about reports that don't target individuals but seek to sway opinion with falsehoods? Example: According to our scientifically conducted poll, 73% of the population supports a green tax.

I don't see why that extra caveat is needed now.
Old 2011-01-13, 10:07 PM   #6
Ralph2

Nothing wrong with that, I am sure that 73% of the population polled supported a green tax.

That is the trouble with all these polls / surveys.. what, how and who was sampled and what was the question(s)?

I participate in website surveys (LegerWeb) when asked. One group has been doing a survey in my area for public transportation. They keep trying (4 times now) but filter me out when it appears I "might" be negative. I am sure that eventually they will have a survey where a high percentage of the people support public transportation. A complete crock of BS but the headlines will read "Public ready for big Increase in Public Transportation"
Old 2011-01-13, 10:44 PM   #7
MarcP
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph2 View Post
Nothing wrong with that, I am sure that 73% of the population polled supported a green tax.
That's beside the point. They can make up the story about a non-existent survey that never happened because it is not endangering lives, health or safety of the public.
Old 2011-01-13, 10:58 PM   #8
dtvinvictoria

Quote:
That's beside the point. They can make up the story about is not endangering lives, health or safety of the public.
But under the change said brodcaster could not make up a story about transit because that story would be considered information that they knew was false/misleading
Old 2011-01-13, 11:00 PM   #9
MarcP
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtvinvictoria View Post
because that story would be considered information that they knew was false/misleading
Not according to this new rule because of the caveat.
Old 2011-01-13, 11:02 PM   #10
NeilN
Veteran

No, you've got it backwards. Under the proposed changed they can make up the story as it's not endangering lives, health or safety of the public.
Old 2011-01-13, 11:03 PM   #11
MarcP
Veteran

That's what I said... Who are you replying to?
Old 2011-01-13, 11:07 PM   #12
NeilN
Veteran

Sorry, dtvinvictoria. Your reply snuck in between (I try not to use reply quotes when not necessary).
Old 2011-01-13, 11:09 PM   #13
dtvinvictoria

Quote:
5. (1) A licensee shall not broadcast (d) any news that the licensee knows is false or misleading and that endangers or is likely to endanger the lives, healthor safety of the public.
This statement implies that it is illegal to broadcast misinformation
Old 2011-01-13, 11:11 PM   #14
MarcP
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtvinvictoria View Post
This statement implies that it is illegal to broadcast misinformation
No, read it again...

knows is false or misleading and that endangers

Pay attention to what is in bold. It has to be misinformation AND endangers. Meaning that if it's just misinformation that does not endanger, it's okay. It is a big difference with the original statement which is quite sufficient for your interpretation. There is no need to change the original rule if it's just about ANY misinformation.
Old 2011-01-13, 11:18 PM   #15
dtvinvictoria

I understand where you're coming from now, I must have skimmed over the statement. In the form that the law exists now it is unacceptable I agree