Getting a new receiver - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Direct (formerly Star Choice)

Old 2011-01-13, 11:43 AM   #1
kiwibunny
Rookie

Default Getting a new receiver

Hi. We've been with Star Choice for about 8 years now. We recently got a new HDTV and I want to get a new HD receiver so that we can receive those few free HD Channels you get if you have the equivalent SD Channel. Our receiver now is about 5 or 6 years old so we need a new one.
I was just wondering how I can go about getting one. Do they offer a free HD receiver in exchange for the old one? Or do we have to end up buying a new receiver outright? Anyway to get one for free? Even if its the lowest one you can get, as long as it can show HD channels. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-01-13, 03:17 PM   #2
TJ77
Veteran

The answer to your question is maybe. What you need to do is call customer service and ask for customer relations. A customer relations agent can look at your account, and may offer a receiver for a reduced cost (possibly free), or offer you credits on your monthly bill.
It is dealt with on a case by case basis. They will look at account history among other things.

Note that you will want to have either a 605 HD receiver, or a 630 HDPVR. The 505 and 530 models will not be able to tune HD channels at some point in the future when Shaw Direct moves to MPEG4 compression.