Poking around the Fibe Modem - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Bell Canada Enterprises (BCE) > Bell Canada Home Phone and Internet

Old 2011-01-06, 02:45 PM   #1
Dioneo
Veteran

Default Poking around the Fibe Modem

I have my home LAN pretty customized. Since I have to use the Fibe modem/router I decided it would be much easier to change the Fibe modem/router's configuration than the settings on all my network enabled devices. So, here's a few things I noticed...
  • The modem/router didn't have any password protection for the web administration interface. At least the default wireless passwords Bell uses are fairly secure. Still, it would be a good idea to set up some kind of administrative credentials.
  • Most changes to the wireless network properties are applied right away. So, making changes if you are connected wirelessly will take a while.
  • Most changes to the LAN settings (including LAN IP and DHCP parameters) are applied only after a reboot of the modem. That is a nice touch, as I did want to change the LAN subnet it was using and the DHCP settings.
  • I found the connection to be sluggish at times, with most of the delay seeming to happen while trying to look up host names. So, I disabled the DNS relay option and have the OpenDNS servers set to be assigned via DHCP. That seems to have helped.
  • UPnP is supported, so PS3 gamers won't have to worry about opening ports to be able to use the PSN or play online - If UPnP is enabled in the PS3's network settings. That should also make the router bit torrent client friendly.
  • My 360 didn't like the NAT it saw with respect to XBox Live. Not a big deal for me, as it didn't like my old router either so it was already using a static IP address. The Fibe modem/router has a very easy to use Port Forwarding section, so it didn't take long to get XBL working again.
Advertisement

Old 2011-01-06, 07:42 PM   #2
drazi_guy

Funny that you mention the DNS servers. My connection started becoming really flakey over the last 18 months after going several years without a noticeable downtime. Manually assigning my DNS servers to non-bell sources cleared up the problems completely. Bell seems to be having some trouble keeping those servers up and running.
Old 2011-01-07, 02:01 PM   #3
Eug
Veteran

Which router? CELLPipe 7130?

I've set the DNS servers on my Macs to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 - easy to remember Google's servers, because my previous DSL provider's DNS servers seemed to hate Macs for some reason. Lots of timeouts, but only on the Macs. All went away when I switched to Google. I heard people had similar problems using Bell's DNS servers.

However, a lot people of been mentioning OpenDNS's servers. Not necessarily the fastest, but they have extra functionality if you register. I'll have to check them out.

I have set port forwarding on my CELLPipe 7130 for my IP camera, but one thing that confused me for a while is that whenever I tried the IP address, it would just bring me to the modem config page instead of to the IP camera. Finally I tried it on my phone over 3G and it sent me to the IP camera. I guess I learned the hard way that on many routers if you're behind the router, typing in the router's IP address will just take you to the config page, regardless if you're using a DDNS server or actually enter the numeric IP address.
Old 2011-01-11, 06:58 AM   #4
Dioneo
Veteran

The web GUI says it is a: Alcatel Lucent 7130 5VzA2001.

Here's a screencap of its menu (not my image):

Old 2011-01-11, 11:16 AM   #5
Dioneo
Veteran

I got around to looking at the documentation for the Fibe modem. What the docs say doesn't jibe with my setup. The documentation makes it seem like a Linksys wireless access point is also installed along with the 7130. Google listed some posts in other forums that indicate this was true at one point with the Fibe service. There were concerns the modem/router's wireless capabilities weren't good enough. I guess that is no longer the case?
Old 2011-10-18, 12:57 AM   #6
Naraemer
Rookie

Question

Hi, I had Fibe 25 installed at my parent's house while I was still working for The Source (Bell discount), back in April of 2010, and then again for myself when I moved out to an apartment in May of this year. Both times they brought the Linksys WAP610N access point (I believe the intention was for it to be your 5GHZ wifi AP for Home theatre and gaming, and the 7130 would be your good ol' fashioned 2.4 for those legacy devices and cell phones). It's odd that you didn't recieve it, Dioneo, especially since your posts are back in January. I would complain, that always works with Bell

Anyway, I've had an odd problem. The Linksys AP at my apartment decided to fail the day it was installed (my parent's works fine). The tech set everything up, left, I changed the SSID and the pass, tested it, it was fine. When I got back from work that night, the device was blinking and completely unresponsive. Go figure. The weird thing is, the SSID I put for the Linksys AP is now showing as the name of my LAN whenever I'm hardwired to the Alcatel 7130. So.....two completely different devices, yet my wired LAN shows the same name as the wireless from that AP. And the AP has been disconnected and sitting dormant in a drawer since that day (I've just been using the built-in wifi on the modem) over four months ago.

Needless to say I've found no explanation as to how one device just....acquired the name of another, and I've found no record of how to change the host name of the LAN on the 7130...

Any ideas?