Closed Caption Desperation - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Home Theatre Corner

Old 2010-12-19, 05:45 PM   #16
MyMedia08

Hmmm...

1) Do you get the CC on DVD's, BR's, or both?

2) I thought CC was analog and does not work over HDMI.

3) What would this source say the Samsung BDP1600 does NOT have a cc encorder?? Specically:

In response to an earlier thread asking if I was happy with my 1600. In general, yes. However, I *really* wish I would have researched BD players before I bought this one because it was cheap at the store. The 1600 does not have a closed caption encoder (like most of the panasonics) and if I put in an older DVD that doesn't have subtitles (like Band of Brothers), I get no closed captions. Therefore, I have my oold panasonic DVD player sitting under my 1600 for those old DVDs with no subtitles. So, in this case, the 1600 does not suit my needs. This is an issue that will not affect 85% of the community. But, since my wife and I watch everything with subtitles or closed captions (TV included), this is a big deal for us.

So, yes I will spend money to get it to work, but only if indeed I can get it to work.

Advertisement

Old 2010-12-19, 06:25 PM   #17
JamesK
Veteran

^^^^

I don't recall the details, as for me it was an annoyance. However, I just checked the manual and what it refers to is subtitles and not specifically CC. It also says not all Blu-ray and DVD discs have subtitles. Apparently, Blu-ray supports up to 255 languages in subtitles. The ones I saw were in English, as was the audio. I just checked 3 DVDs (I don't have any BR available at the moment, possibly one tomorrow). Two of them had no mention of captions or subtitles. One said English captions and French & Spanish subtitiles. All 3 had English subtitles. Do subtitles work on those discs? Again, this is with the BDP1600 & HDMI.
Old 2010-12-19, 07:26 PM   #18
MyMedia08

Another option is to forget cc altogether, set the language on her DVD to spanish and use english subtitles. But even that woat work as I cannot puchased DVD with subtitles with any certainty as the packaging is bogus and unrealiable give there are no standards.

I suppose i should be grateful I really got NCIS content on the NCIS DVD I purchased.

Anyway, thanks for trying - I'll be retruning everthing tomorrow and am giving up. The CC on purchased DVDs, is totally hit and miss and thus the while thing is a crock. Have no interest or patience for such misleading marketing and chasing ghosts. If I find the right hearing impaired assocation to raise this to, for them to take up the fight for standards, I think thats where my time is better served.

I will treat my mom to some more Rogers channels... at least the CC works ... even on HD channels, and via HDMI.