Telus TV Actiontec router questions - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Telus > Telus IPTV (also known as Optik TV)

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2010-12-03, 08:59 PM   #1
Fisherguy

Default Telus TV Actiontec router questions

When I had the D-Link router I had an external hard drive plugged into it, it had to be formatted with the Linux to work.

It wouldn't work on the new Actiontec so I reformatted it to NTFS, I'm not having any luck and can't 'see' in the router settings anywhere, anyone else have luck plugging a HD into the USB port of the Actiontec?
Would be handy to have a network HD.
Advertisement

Old 2010-12-04, 01:56 PM   #2
scokar
Rookie

Try FAT32, it's a bit more "universal" that NTFS
Old 2010-12-04, 02:02 PM   #3
scokar
Rookie

Default ActionTec - Dual Band?

Are the ActionTec units "Simultaneous Dual Band" routers?

Thanks.
Old 2010-12-04, 08:36 PM   #4
Fisherguy

Partition Magic doesn't give me a FAT32 option, WTH?
Old 2010-12-05, 12:42 AM   #5
Fisherguy

Fat32 didn't work either, guess maybe the USB isn't meant for a HD after all...?
Too bad.
Old 2010-12-06, 01:21 AM   #6
dscott01

From what I've heard the USB isn't active on the Actiontec for network shares.

It's possible that it will work with a future firmware upgrade
Old 2010-12-06, 08:37 PM   #7
Fisherguy

I sent Actiontec and email, here's their response:
The usb port is not functional at this time. It is slated to only support connectivity of USB NAS drives and thumb drivers. It will not support connectivity of printers or other usb devices.
You will need to contact Telus for any information on activating the USB port.

TELUS knows nothing about it, not supported they say...
No manual at all at the Actiontec website either. out luck I guess, will hafta get a network HD.
Old 2010-12-11, 12:39 PM   #8
Meestor_X

Default ActionTec DHCP

Anyone know how to turn off DHCP on the ActionTec? I have a DHCP server in my home already. Looked through all the setup pages, called Telus, nothing.
Old 2010-12-21, 12:26 AM   #9
WhosTheBosch
Rookie

Default Can the Actiontec V1000H Do Bridge Mode?

So after spending some time researching, I decided to go with Telus and it's Optik TV / Internet service. I've been given a Actiontec v1000h even though I was promised the ALU/Dlink by the sales agent. I want to utilize my own Cisco router so I can use it to help study for the CCN P. A couple of questions:

1) Is there anyway the v1000h can be used in just bridge mode?

2) Can I purchase my own VDSL2/ADSL2+ modem without a router integrated? I'm only on a 19.3mb profile which the modem status page shows as ADSL2+ so it would have to have ADSL2+ built in. Not sure if this would work as Telus might need the hardware in their database.

3) If I'm unable to get an ALU then am I out of options do I have to go to Shaw to avoid being double NAT'd?

When the installer came he checked the connections and for some reason Telus ran copper to the building even though it's 3 years old, so I don't think I'll be getting VDSL2 profiles until they update that, which sucks. Thanks for any help!

PS If anyone knows of any Cisco routers that support GB ports with 802.11n besides the 800 series, please let me know.
Old 2010-12-21, 12:00 PM   #10
Wiremonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhosTheBosch View Post
So after spending some time researching, I decided to go with Telus and it's Optik TV / Internet service. I've been given a Actiontec v1000h even though I was promised the ALU/Dlink by the sales agent. I want to utilize my own Cisco router so I can use it to help study for the CCN P. A couple of questions:

1) Is there anyway the v1000h can be used in just bridge mode?

2) Can I purchase my own VDSL2/ADSL2+ modem without a router integrated? I'm only on a 19.3mb profile which the modem status page shows as ADSL2+ so it would have to have ADSL2+ built in. Not sure if this would work as Telus might need the hardware in their database.

3) If I'm unable to get an ALU then am I out of options do I have to go to Shaw to avoid being double NAT'd?

When the installer came he checked the connections and for some reason Telus ran copper to the building even though it's 3 years old, so I don't think I'll be getting VDSL2 profiles until they update that, which sucks. Thanks for any help!

PS If anyone knows of any Cisco routers that support GB ports with 802.11n besides the 800 series, please let me know.
You will still get VDSL2 rates on copper, as long as you are within the technical specs to attain them (distance from the port). Fiber is not required for VDSL2 Optik rates.

The Actiontec can’t be used in bridged mode.

You don't need to purchase anything. To avoid DHCP or NAT type of IP conflicts just reset the address range of your router to 172.16.0.0 range and you can plug it right into the Actiontec without any conflicts.

After resetting the address range on your router plug it into a LAN port, on the Actiontec, not the WAN port. Now go into the Actiontec (192.168.1.254 username admin/password telus) and set your router to DMZ mode in the Actiontec so the Actiontec’s firewall will not interfere with your routers network activities, you may also want to turn off the Actiontec's wifi while your in there since you will probably want to use your routers wifi as well.

Doing this will in effect make it so that you are using the VDSL2 modem in the Actiontec, but using your router for your PCs and other network equipment such as game consoles etc. The Optik TV is running on the Actiontec and gets all the advantages of the QOS that is built into the Actiontec, but doesn't have to run your network traffic other than to route it to your router past the modem, and having your router completely outside the NAT zone of the Actiontec. Hope this helps.

- another TELUS tech
Old 2010-12-22, 05:07 AM   #11
WhosTheBosch
Rookie

Thanks for the help Wiremonkey, I'll have to try it after the holidays. I was mainly concerned with having to be double NAT'd. What you say makes sense though.

Would there be any speed differences between the setup you suggested and the ALU / switch setup?
Old 2010-12-22, 02:44 PM   #12
Wiremonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhosTheBosch View Post
Thanks for the help Wiremonkey, I'll have to try it after the holidays. I was mainly concerned with having to be double NAT'd. What you say makes sense though.

Would there be any speed differences between the setup you suggested and the ALU / switch setup?
Nope, but less clutter on the shelf or desk

- another TELUS tech
Old 2010-12-30, 05:14 AM   #13
amgc36
Rookie

I have a D-link right now but would like to get the Actiontec for its Wireless-N and Gigabit LAN support. I find the range of the D-link to be dismal as I often have trouble getting a stable connection just 20ft away. Can I call tech support and arrange an exchange?
Old 2011-01-02, 11:43 PM   #14
zigomatickid
Rookie

Building on the previous post above, I am having Telus come and set up my new house in two weeks and am curious as to which unit I should ensure gets installed.

Sounds to me like the Actiontec is the way to go, what are peoples thoughts???
Old 2011-01-03, 12:54 AM   #15
Wiremonkey

If given a choice go Actiontec. I think most techs are now using Actiontecs exclusively unless they have none in stock.

- another TELUS tech