Would a U.S. dish work with Shaw Direct ? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Direct (formerly Star Choice)

Old 2010-12-02, 03:31 PM   #1
Fuzzy McGillicuddy

Default Would a U.S. dish work with Shaw Direct ?

My in-laws have a winter place in southern California and are interested in Shaw Direct service. Several of their neighbors have done this.

Is there an American satellite dish that is compatible with Shaw Direct? It would be much easier to purchase the dish down there instead of transporting it from here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2010-12-02, 03:39 PM   #2
ScaryBob
Veteran

In theory, almost any dish will work but the LNBs and switches must be compatible with ShawD receivers. It's probably best to mail order from a Canadian site or lug one down next time you visit. They probably need a 75e dish and LNB, which costs about $100. You will likely need to mail order it but shipping to Canada is cheaper than to the US.
Old 2010-12-02, 04:05 PM   #3
Fuzzy McGillicuddy

I was hoping there might be an easier way than either shipping or bringing the dish myself. Looks like I'm better off getting the dish sent to me and then sending it south.

Thanks
Old 2010-12-02, 04:18 PM   #4
Simonizer

A larger size elliptical dish like the Multistar AT 85 would work, but the LNB type has to be linear. Plus since Shaw operates two satellites, you'd have to pick one satellite (the one satellite does have more HD than the other), or get the special housing to enclose both LNB's to receive both Shaw satellites at the same time.
Old 2010-12-02, 08:31 PM   #5
starchoice
Veteran

If they have service in Canada, I'm pretty sure SD would send a dish to the U.S. under the Home away from Home program.
Old 2010-12-02, 08:52 PM   #6
zbroke

This is my setup located in my home away from home in North Texas. All of it readily available in the US

2 HOT DISH 90 36-inch offset Antennas
2 PANSAT PT-5600 Twin output Ku-band LNBFs
1 PICO 5 input (4 satellite inputs, 1 off air), 8 output powered multiswitch

The drawback is you get 2 antennas. Not all wifes will allow it!

The advantage is that you maximize signal strenght with each antenna pointed at each satellite with an oversized antenna (90cm). They are big so it's nice to be able to tuck them away somewhere on the roof where you don't see them or at least where they are not too obvious... They would be pointing South.
Old 2010-12-04, 08:16 PM   #7
Moose57

I've used the Ariza Multistar 85.
It comes with 5 LNB neck holders.

Just load it with a pair of linear KU LNB's with a 10750 L.O. and set it up.

It helps to know about these things or maybe a local shop selling it can recommend an installer.

With these types of dishes, it's easy to replicate a 75e or better.

And you could probably mount a few DTV or DISH lnb's as well for US coverage and just have 1 dish.
Old 2010-12-04, 11:31 PM   #8
ogorek

I'm no expert on the subject as I do not have Shaw, but I have old Star Choice dish and lnb.
In my opinion any dish, preferably 33" or larger with standard lnb will do. You can have dish motorizes for multiple satellites, but I am not sure if Shaw receiver will handle a motor. If not, 36" dish with multiple lnb holder should do. I don't think a special dish is needed for Shaw, however do to satellite coverage an large dish is needed.
Old 2010-12-09, 09:22 PM   #9
Moose57

Lots of the Motorola guys from the San Diego labs using 75e at home.

Agreed that if you don't have one of those, a 33"+ is best.
Use 2 dishes and a tone switch, or a FTA 85cm elliptical as mentioned and put 2 LNB's on it and then feed the switch.
Old 2010-12-09, 09:33 PM   #10
Simonizer

The Shaw receiver can't turn the motor. Only FTA receivers can as they send out DiSEqC commands.

The only thing with Shaw is that one satellite is located at 107 degrees, and another at 111 degrees, so the 4 degree separation may not be enough to put two linear LNB's together side by side. That's why Shaw's LNBs come in the same housing.

But you do need a linear LNB and the frequency should be set to 10750, as already mentioned.