Public Mobile announces Brampton, ON coverage. - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Alternative Wireless Providers: Mobilicity, Public and Wind Mobile

Old 2010-12-01, 08:17 PM   #1
TorontoColin

Default Public Mobile announces Brampton, ON coverage.

Quote:
Brampton is one of Canada's fastest growing municipalities and starting today, Public Mobile's cell phone service is available in Brampton. Public Mobile recently launched service in Mississauga in October and is continuing to expand network coverage areas since launching service in Toronto and Montreal last summer.
Cell phone service is available in Brampton in the following areas:

* Extends northwest from Mississauga and Highway 407, along Chinguacousy Road to Sandalwood Parkway.
* The Northern boundary follows Sandalwood Parkway to Highway 410, then extends north up to King Street and Airport Road.
* Southeast from King Street and Airport Road to the intersection of highway 407 and 427.
I believe this is the first expansion to Public's GTA coverage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2010-12-02, 08:00 AM   #2
mr weather
Veteran

Last time I checked there were a ton of houses/people living west of Chinguacousy north and south of Bovaird.
Old 2010-12-03, 01:59 PM   #3
Blackburst

Does anybody on this forum use Public Mobile?
What do you think about them? Any problems? How about dropped calls?
Old 2010-12-13, 12:08 PM   #4
Blackburst

I thought I'd give them a try, and post my experience with them here. Since nobody else posted any feedback when I asked the question if anybody was using them.

Service seems to be good so far. No complaints.
I picked up a phone for $50. The 1st month of the service was free. So basically they are giving you a phone. Which ever way you want to look at it. They supplied me the $40 unlimited package for the month free. After that I can take the $24 unlimited package. No contracts. In fact, after my 1st free month, I can kill the service. So, other than picking up a $30 - $50 phone with a free month of service, you are in no way tied down.

Fairly straight forward.

Also, as I was reading their welcome package and the info on their site..
- they don't offer roaming, but you can call 911 if needed, if you are outside their service area. Interesting!
- Also, they even suggest you use a long distance calling card if you need to do any occasional long distance calls without taking their Long Distance option. Wonderful for somebody like me since I rarely make any long distance calls. The local unlimited is free (well not free, but unlimited for you month), you only pay for the calling card rate you bought from a third party. With my other carrier, they eat up my minutes, and then charge me over priced long distance rates.

Conclusion...
I'm always very wary of new cell phone companies. And really don't want to be locked up in a contract with somebody that will hold me hostage. Currently in a contact with somebody else that will end soon. But, this seems like a no-brainer. I'm going to keep the service.
Old 2010-12-13, 01:06 PM   #5
TorontoColin

Glad to hear Public's working for you. There are plenty who believe they will be squeezed out by the similarly priced and more robust Wind and Mobilicity in the GTA, but Montreal doesn't have those options.

I guess the 911 calls must be routed through the Bell or Telus CDMA networks if you're outside of Public's coverage.

How have you found their coverage compared to your former carrier? Any dropped calls?
Old 2010-12-13, 02:49 PM   #6
Blackburst

You are right, not many options in the Montreal area as compared to Toronto.
And I have reviewed the Videotron options, but I find no deal unless you bundle services with them. That really places you in a hostage situation. No thanks.

As for dropped calls with Public Mobile. So far, none. How are they compared with my other carrier that I'm still on contract with for another two months? Well, it's basically the same thing. The only thing I can say is that their signal meter on their phone seems stronger. But, I haven't had any dropped calls from Public Mobile. So, should I care?

I think over all, Public Mobile offers a great $ deal for the service. At least here in Montreal. And if anything starts to get crazy with them, I can always walk away since there is no contract. So, in that sense I feel much better.

And, they even gave a 7 day (30 minutes of air time) return policy when I picked up the phone. If I had problems they would take it back. So, free month, plus the above mentioned return policy, if I had bad reception or something, they would take back the phone. I figured, I would test it out. So far, I'm okay with it.