Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

PDF Download instead of in Tab/window in Firefox

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  57 
#1 ·
I had my old version of FF set up so that when I clicked on a pdf or similar link the item would be downloaded to my desktop. I prefer things this way rather than viewing pdfs in the browser.

Now with FF5.0 on OS 10.5, it tries to open in a new tab/window, or sometimes doesn't open. I can't find the setting to change this under preferences, whatever.

I can get it to download by right-clicking on the link, but sometimes I don't know that the link is a pdf and it sends me to a new window and I have to backtrack, etc.

Is there a setting I'm missing? I found it 6 years ago when I got this computer, but I can't find it now after I updated the computer OS/browser...

Thanks

#4 ·
Thanks romulus, that did the trick. It was under Adobe Reader-preferences, not Edit-preferences, but easy to find. The preferences may be in a different spot for various versions or Mac versions.

I believe these sorts of settings used to be under Internet Explorer and if I made the changes there, they would somehow be transferred to Safari and FF, but not this time.

Appreciate the help - saves me a few extra clicks.

I also noted that you can have the file open automatically after downloading, saving another step if desired.

jvincent Thank you also, I decided to go with romulus' suggestion. In FF there's also an option under "preferences" to manage add-ons, plugins, etc, but I didn't wish to delete.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.