New-look Shaw speed test - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Communications > Shaw High Speed Internet and Home Phone

Old 2010-11-08, 04:04 AM   #1
downbeat

Default New-look Shaw speed test

Shaw has adopted a new speed test interface for http://speedtest.shaw.ca/
This screenshot shows the final screen you see after going through the test.

In the graph in the middle of the screen, it shows download speed details — with blue dots representing PowerBoost, max speed and min speed, with your plan's usual download speeds highlighted in orange.
downbeat is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2010-11-10, 06:05 PM   #2
adiabatic

I used that last night and was surprised because I was expecting the old one. It seems to work well except it identifies my account wrong. I have Warp but the graphic indicates Nitro.
adiabatic is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-11-11, 08:40 PM   #3
jcj83429
Rookie

I like the graph that shows speed vs time, maximum and minumum. It's a feature I've never seen anywhere else.
jcj83429 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-11-12, 03:10 PM   #4
sctb1

I ran it with my MTS internet account. Kind of fun to see how it exactly tracked at the top of the High-Speed band. It doesn't jump around like that Shaw sample though.
sctb1 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-11-13, 11:35 AM   #5
Berty

I just can't figure why they'd display the results in bits per second and then give real world examples in bytes per second. This leaves the user converting to the much more normal (as in web browser download display) MB/s.

I suppose it's a marketing ploy. Just the opposite of using 30,000 cents to buy a new PVR vs. 300.00 dollars.

bits are for kids.. and consoles.
Old 2010-11-13, 11:47 AM   #6

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

But download speeds are usually listed on the provider's website/advertizing as Mb/s, not MB. This allows you to directly compare what you're buying with what you're getting, without the 8 conversion.
Old 2010-11-13, 12:40 PM   #7
Berty

True enough but for those not as aware, it sure looks good to see a provider with 8 times the speed your browser is reporting. Like I said, it's all a marketing ploy to make it look better. How many people are actually aware that MB is different from Mb? Not many I bet.
Old 2010-11-13, 02:36 PM   #8
downbeat

Here is a question: The speed test gives you an average download speed for the duration of the test, but most Shaw tiers of services include "SpeedBoost", which accounts for the inflated download speed for most of the test.
Could this also mean the average download speed and the calculations derived from it are skewed upward by "SpeedBoost", meaning that if you're downloading a larger file, the estimated DL times shown in the speed test won't be representative of how long it will actually take?
downbeat is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-11-15, 10:46 AM   #9
Berty

I'd say definately squewed. Speedboost is great for small stuff, but runs out when downloading larger files. Not that I'm complaining!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.