Shaw galaxy digital radio without pvr and tv? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Communications > Shaw Cable

Old 2010-11-03, 08:09 PM   #1
dmoney
Rookie

Question Shaw galaxy digital radio without pvr and tv?

We just got a Shaw 1Tb PVR, for the room where the tv is, and we'd like to listen to the galaxy digital radio stations in annother room where there is no tv. We have a cable connection there and the little shaw box, the one with no display. Can I plug the cable from the shaw box into my stereo receiver and listen away? Or do I need a home theatre receiver out there, or a little tv so I can see what digital radio station I'm on??

I'm confused and so was the cable guy. He'd never heard of anyone trying to listen to digital radio without a tv. I've heard from Shaw tech support that it can be done this way, but I don't know how.

"digital radio int the living room" is how I sold the PVR idea to my missus :-) Any thoughts?

Thanks!

D$
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2010-11-03, 08:21 PM   #2
mike10

I have never heard of that but you can listen to them on a computer by going to vod.shaw.ca
Old 2010-11-03, 08:53 PM   #3
Paolo
Veteran

of course you can listen to it, but the box was not designed to show you what station you are on because of the lack of display. perhaps you can get a different shaw box that has the lcd display, and connect the rcas to your stereo auxiliary input.

otherwise you may need a small tv set to see what is showing on the display the song / station name etc...
Old 2010-11-03, 10:20 PM   #4
coffeehead

You could do a few things.
1. get wireless speakers and run them off you pvr or leave your DCT 700 with you tv and run your wireless speaker off the 700.
2.(this is what i did) I have a pvr as my main DCT to my TV and I have another DCT 700 hook up to my TV with the video RCA and ran the audio RCA to my other room and have it plugged into a receiver.
3.IF you have a computer in the other room just get a TV tunner card.
Old 2010-11-04, 12:27 AM   #5
Jetranger
Veteran

Location: Calgary SonyTVs,ShawGateway&6Portals DCX3400&3200, 5ShawExpanders:3WD,Seagate,iOmega Harmony One

If all you need is the audio, just look at the channel number in a room that has a tv and cable box and then use the remote to plug in the number on the DCT700 in the room with no tv. Alternatively, the digital music channels are from 401 to 440 so you can just use the channel up down once you punch in at either end of the range. No TV is needed unless you want to 'see' the info and it sounds like all you want is the audio. An amplifier or receiver (and speakers, of course) with RCA inputs and an RCA patch cable are needed to provide what you are trying to do. Or, you can do what mike10 suggested in post #2.
Old 2010-11-04, 12:57 AM   #6
Dr.Dave

Go to the link below and print out the 400 series channels. Keep the list near your remote and you can just punch in the number for the channel you want.

http://www.shaw.ca/en-ca/ProductsSer...nnelsInMyArea/
Old 2010-11-04, 02:36 AM   #7
dmoney
Rookie

Thumbs up

You guys are awesome, thanks. That's exactly what I want to do- print out the channel list for galaxie, and use the shaw box and remote to enter the channel #. I tried to hook it up today but no luck- stupid questions:

do I connect the coax cable from the shaw box to the FM input on my receiver? that's the only input with a threaded coax type connection. Do I need to connect an RCA cable from the receiver to the shaw box, or from the dvd player to the shaw box?

I think my receiver (Onkyo TX-8255) is a stereo receiver, no a home theatre receiver, so I don't know if I can connect it. Do I need a new (home theatre / a/v) receiver?

Thanks agian, I really appreciate it.
Old 2010-11-04, 02:39 AM   #8
dmoney
Rookie

PS- here's a pic of the back of the onkyo, showing inputs:

http://www.onkyousa.com/zoom.cfm?cla...ver&m=TX-8255#
Old 2010-11-04, 11:10 AM   #9
Dr.Dave

Just connect RCA cables from the Shaw box to any of the inputs on the Onkyo (except phono).
Old 2010-11-04, 01:42 PM   #10
Jetranger
Veteran

Location: Calgary SonyTVs,ShawGateway&6Portals DCX3400&3200, 5ShawExpanders:3WD,Seagate,iOmega Harmony One

See Pg. 17 in your Owner's Manual, under the heading: Connecting a TV or Other Component with an Audio Output.

That has a diagram that shows you what to do. If you can't find your manual or don't have it any more, you can download a copy from the manufacturer's website.