Telus Techs. what the heck were u doing :) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Telus > Telus IPTV (also known as Optik TV)

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2010-11-02, 07:50 PM   #1
Blintok

Default Telus Techs. what the heck were u doing :)

So today at around 4pm... was watching TV just fine. all of a sudden
>poof< goes out.. like it locked up. i could see in freeze frame what was on screen.
Tried unplugging and resetting the box. nothing. stopped on the boot up screen. checked internet. hmmm thats out too.

so i tried resetting the modem.. nothing. so i was pulling out the phone to look up optik tv phone number....when.. >poof< the picture come back on.

i thus assume one of the tech guys were doing some kind of upgrade and unplugged for a few min ( it was around 15min ) i checked the info screens and see i am still 1hd/2sd .. so what could they have done? hmmmm?

just wondering what the tech could have been doing to have to disco me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2010-11-03, 01:32 PM   #2
Blintok

well maybe there was no tech after all.
looks like i am starting to get problems. been great for the first 4 months
only had to reset the box twice but now....

last nite it froze up and resetting the box did not work. had to turn off the modem/router/switch and it came back.

same thing happened this morning. everything frozen. rebooting the modem and box fixed it.

i have changed nothing on my end. hope this doesnt turn into a daily ritual. :-(
Old 2010-11-03, 08:10 PM   #3
Blintok

guess i am talking to my self but this is getting annoying.
locked up again when i got home. reset everything brings it back.

if this keeps up Telus TV will be a 1 term service. Will call Telus later to
see if a service call is warranted.
Old 2010-11-04, 01:33 AM   #4
ae_collector

Yes call for service. Things go wrong occasionally. Sounds like it might be an ADSL problem on your line.
Old 2010-11-04, 04:48 PM   #5
Blintok

TV worked fine all Wed evening. but this morning it locks up..
reset but could not do anything else as its time to head to work. called from work he checked my line and said something was odd but needed someone home to be able to check a few things. gave me a reference number so i dont have to go thru the whole spiel again...

got home at lunch and called. (TV was working) didnt really do anything different. told him its set up exactly the way it was when tech did install. He did not like that i had my own router. says it wont work as it should if i do not use a telus installed router. Asked him why it would take 4 months for problems to start but he could not answer.
but he did say during the conversation that he is one of the guys that trains folks for the field..so i guess he knows what he is talking about (if true what he says )

so they sending someone out on the 10th to look at it. on the bright side i asked about VDSL2 and if i can get on the higher profile (on 19.2 now) said i can get that. he had to switch me over to customer service to set up appointments.

the tech guy said the 25 profile wont cost more but customer service said it would be 8bux more. i do not call customer service or tech that often but i must say it was a positive experience. did not have to wait long to talk to someone. Both the tech guy and cust serv says that problems such as mine are less frequent now that they are on optik.

anyone else that was upgraded to 25 profile have to pay more for that or am i being charged for something that should be free?
Old 2010-11-04, 08:07 PM   #6
lenkurt'73
Rookie

Perhaps the additional fee is not for the TELUS TV upgrade but for a faster internet connection.
Old 2010-11-04, 10:07 PM   #7
Blintok

well. on the surface of it that would make sense. but i do think they have made a mistake.
There is no tier above Optik high speed. Its all "up to 15Mbps"

but there is an 8 dollar difference from high speed to high speed turbo which is "up to 15Mbps"

thats why i asked if others went from Optik high speed 19.2 profile to the 25 profile and were charged 8bux more. i seem to recall others saying it was no charge up grade .. just wanted to confirm before i call Telus again.
Old 2010-11-04, 10:44 PM   #8
schizz

no....you shouldnt be charged any more for being on a bigger profile. You can opt to have faster internet speeds which I believe is like 11$ or so more per month for a 25mb/s download but if they cap you at 15mb/s then the price should and will remain the same.
Old 2010-11-05, 02:25 AM   #9
yvrwindsor

Blintok,
You mentioned you're on 19.2 profile right now and you have TELUS TV service for 4 months now. Aren't you on Optik now?
Old 2010-11-05, 09:34 AM   #10
Nickleback

Telus has a system problem right now. Techs are aware of the problem and are working on it.

Don't know how many area's are affected, but it must be pretty wide, as Telus has a recorded message about the problem when you call into Tech Support.

I'm in Coquitlam and it seemed to start yesterday afternoon for me.
Old 2010-11-06, 12:24 AM   #11
Blintok

@yvrwindor
yes i am Optik. on the Cis430 box. thats why i questioned why they want 8bux more when there is only 1 speed option for optik "up to 15Mbps" my normal price for internet is 42 - 5 for bundle. but Telus website lists optik high speed at 37 and telus high speed turbo is 45. so if they charging me 8 more that would be 50bux. something not right.

Nickleback. there was no message when i called telus. what does message say? my TV locked up again today. reset modem and box. takes for ever for the TV to come back. like over 10min.

you know the one thing i changed and all this started now that i think about it. i had problems getting my computer to go into sleep mode so always shut if off or put it in S1 sleep. finally figured out why it would not go to S3 sleep. since then i had problems with losing the modem. had the box freeze b4 but never the modem. i put the computer back to the way it was to see what happens tomorrow. cant see how it would affect it. but what the hell. its annoying having to reset everything 2x a day.

going to call Telus to sort out this 8$ charge. if they insist that its correct i will say to stuff the 25 profile.
Old 2010-11-06, 02:32 AM   #12
ae_collector

The $8 is if you want the Internet speed bumped up to 25 meg as well. The price will remain the same if you leave your maximum internet speed as is and just get the TV profile upgraded.

--Telus Employee--
Old 2010-11-06, 03:03 AM   #13
Nickleback

Message is now off. Telus has apparently repaired the pixelation problem on their end. Everything is working fine for me again.

Regarding your choice of routers. I notice you stated:

" He ( sic Installer ) did not like that i had my own router. Says it wont work as it should if i do not use a Telus installed router. "

You do have the Telus D-Link router hooked up don't you? That should be a D-Link DVA-G3810. You do have to have that hooked up for your TV and Internet to work properly.

My Installer specifically noted that the DVA-G3810 does not have a great wireless range as compared to my Linksys WRT-54G. He told me I could set up my Linksys WRT-54G as a wireless bridge, but the D-Link DVA-G3810 must be hooked up as primary router, and main computer should be connected by Ethernet to get full compatibility with the system...and to ensure proper bandwidth allocation. ( Edit: Telus also has a longer antenna for the D-Link router that improves wireless transmission. Installers usually have them in their trucks. No charge of course )

So your TV and Main computer should be fed directly off the D-Link.

As to why it worked for 4 months and not now? You may have been on the old ADSL/ADSL-2 service. Since about April, all installs have been with a VDSL Modem and matching Telus router. However, Telus has gradually been switching over ports from ADSL/ADSL-2 to VDSL. This all takes time.

If they recently did a switch over to VDSL hardware in your area and you do not have the D-LINK DVA-G3810 hooked up as a primary router, then that could be why things don't work anymore.

If you do have the D-Link hooked up as a primary router, then ask Telus to send someone out and check your system.
Old 2010-11-06, 03:15 AM   #14
Nickleback

Quote:
Reset modem and box. Takes for ever for the TV to come back. Like over 10min.
That's normal. When you reset the DSB it has to initialize the whole system again.

Check with Telus to see if you are on the new Optik service or the old MediaRoom service. Upgrading from one service to another should cost you nothing ( as long as you don't bump the Internet speed as noted in Post #12 ).

Optik modem software upgrade is done on Telus's end, but Tech has to come and make sure that the correct firmware is loaded on the Router ( Which is why you HAVE to have the Telus router connected ). They might even update your PVR ( I went from a 160GB PVR to 320gb no charge )

If you have splitter pots, a Tech also has to come by and check the splitter pots for Optik upgrades. The old black pots have to be replaced with a white splitter pot. Contract installers sometimes miss this..but the regular Telus installers always check it.
Old 2010-11-06, 11:29 AM   #15
Blintok

thanks everyone. i will keep the internet at the 15Mbps. plenty fast for what i do. i will just bump the TV as suggested.
do not have any Telus router. they hooked up the modem. and a SMC switch and used my old WRT 54G router. the TV i assume is connected thru the switch by Cat5

in the system info screen it says
TV2 client version 1.6.25075.1229 (release)
Cisco CIS430-GN1-B / 297

next page - system resources
1SD/2HD (WAN) 1 SD/2 HD (DEV)
remote playback 16908000 1SD/2HD

Telus is coming out on Wed morning btwn 8-10 am so will have him check things and swap my old router with the telus one.