Shaw Direct HDDSR 605 Owners Discussion thread for owners ONLY! - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Direct (formerly Star Choice)

Old 2011-02-17, 05:21 PM   #76
NoNameNumber1
Rookie

Quote:
hi i just bought a Sony xe4 46'' hdtv set connected to a 605 trough HDMI
it seems to me that the 605 have an handshake problem with the tv set
as i must disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable on the back of the receiver to get the image pass trough everytime i power on the tv
anyone else having this problem
Quote:
nevermind
problem fixed
I am having the same problem as your were Gretzky. How did you fix it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-02-23, 05:57 PM   #77
alxs
Rookie

Default 505 vs 605

Just got the 605, will keep the 505 for 2nd TV. Have received the update to 04.06. There is only one problem that I have: when changing channels with the controller by entering on the number pad, the screen will go blank, at times. Then I have to power off/on to get over that. Any thoughts on why that happens?
Old 2011-02-23, 11:33 PM   #78
Kartan

Sounds like it could be a potential HDCP issue, you may need to change your video setting in options 4-5 I believe. I think SD 630 support has mentioned that 1080i is the prefered setting, but I could be wrong
Old 2011-02-24, 09:20 AM   #79
SD 630 Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartan View Post
I think SD 630 support has mentioned that 1080i is the prefered setting
Correct. You'll have 3 settings in OPTIONS 4-5.

Output Format determines the primary resolution that is used to send video to your TV. On most HDTVs, 1080i is optimal. Using the "HDMI" Output Format is not recommended.

4X3 OVERRIDE: Turning this on will “override” the primary output format when tuned to standard definition stations. Turning on the override allows most TVs to automatically stretch SD content to fill the whole screen. If you’d prefer to control this yourself using the ASPECT button, leave it Off.

TV Type should stay at 16x9, unless you're connected to a SDTV.
Old 2011-02-24, 11:23 AM   #80
alxs
Rookie

Yes, my video loss had to do with the "output format" and "4x3 override". Now format is set on "1080i" and in the override it is on "480p".
Actually, the online manual on page 2 explains how to deal with that.
Old 2011-02-25, 01:45 PM   #81
rosy_55
Rookie

Hi,

We just got Shaw Direct with 2 HDDSR 605 recievers and are having a problem with both recievers randomly rebooting. It happens most when using the guide while selecting a channel, or after updating a favorites list. The unit will power itself off for about 10 seconds, then power back on. While powering back on "1080" is displayed on the front. Once it finally comes back on, the guide information is blank for about 5 minutes. This is happening on both units. Any ideas?

Thanks

Rosy_55
Old 2011-02-25, 01:51 PM   #82
smp01

What firmware do you have (Options 4, 7) and how days have you had it running?

If you are at 4.06, then I would call SD.
Old 2011-02-25, 01:59 PM   #83
rosy_55
Rookie

Just checked, and yes it is 4.06. On that note, I just noticed that 4.06 was just released. The reboot hasn't happened for a few days, so maybe the update to 4.06 has already fixed my issue. I will keep an eye on it and if it persists I will Call SD and see whats up.

Thanks

Rosy_55

Last edited by rosy_55; 2011-02-25 at 02:10 PM. Reason: new information
Old 2011-02-25, 04:26 PM   #84
hiljoball

We have the same problem. The 605 locks up and reboots if you change the 'fav' then go to guide and scroll up/down. It happened under the old release and under 4.06. No improvement. It looks like a memory management problem.

The other bug - a sudden switch to another channel - still happens, and so do occasional sudden reboots without us even touching the remote.

Since the 4.06 'upgrade'. now when we want to set a reminder or auto-switch timer event, it now takes a lot longer (45 to 50 seconds) to save (used to be under 10 seconds under the previous software).

So far, the 4.06 performs worse than the original version as I see no improvement on the bugs and now a new annoyance.

John
Old 2011-02-25, 04:37 PM   #85
SD 630 Support

Hi John,

I just tried to reproduce the reboot using the steps you described and I can't - I've been in and out of a favourites list nearly 10 times (going into the Guide and scrolling around afterwards) without any issues.
How many Favourites Lists do you have set?
How many channels are in each one?
Do you change the list directly in the Guide (using the OPTIONS button) or by pressing FAV, and then going back to the Guide?

With respect to the longer replan time, how many Reminder Events do you have in Reminders/Options at any given time? No one has reported this before, so we're interested in finding out more details.
Old 2011-02-25, 04:47 PM   #86
QCK

As for the Favourites, it has always been a problem. With the new software it is better but the reboot does still happen sometimes.

SD 630 Support, just set up one Favourite list with half the channels available. Leave the receiver in this list for 6-12 hours and then go back to the all channels list. Before with the old software the reciever would almost always reboot, with the new software for me it happens about 1/3 of the time now.
Old 2011-02-26, 02:17 PM   #87
basicbill

Default 605 sound issues

Hi everyone,
I just replaced my 505 and a couple of SD receivers...with 3 - 605's
One is connected HDMI
One is connected Component
One is connected Composite

The HDMI and Composite connections seem to have a peculiar sound issue.
When changing channels, the sound is delayed.
On the composite it generally takes 5 seconds to kick in.
On the HDMI it can be totally gone for up to a minute.
On the HDMI I have found that if I turn the receiver off then back on, it will force the sound on.
Signal levels are all over 90 on all receivers.

Is there something I'm missing in the options?

Anyone else experiencing this sound issue?

tia

Last edited by 57; 2011-02-26 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Moved to existing thread.
Old 2011-02-27, 10:17 AM   #88
hiljoball

SD 630 asks

How many Favourites Lists do you have set?

three named lists.

How many channels are in each one?

"Ours' - a lot. It is all our subscribed channels except for about a dozen that we never watch and it also eliminates scrolling through the PPV and promo channels.

The other two are small lists.

Do you change the list directly in the Guide (using the OPTIONS button) or by pressing FAV, and then going back to the Guide?

Usually we hit FAV, The problem happens when going from a small list to the big one. But has also happened going from a FAV to ALL Channels. Happens with old release and new one.

With respect to the longer replan time, how many Reminder Events do you have in Reminders/Options at any given time? No one has reported this before, so we're interested in finding out more details.

The slow 'save' time only happens with the new release. We have lots of reminders (about 90). Far more than we used to need on the 505. This is caused by the loss of the 'repeating switch to channel by time' which was available on the 505 but is no longer available. For example, on the 505 to watch Jeopardy on Halifax, we set one timer for Mon-Fri. On the 605 we set reminder for all episodes. That produces 12 entries. Do the same for Global National, the National, and Big Bang Theory and you have over 50 timers. Now set a couple of 'Reminder for all New episodes' for the Tonight show and a couple of others and the number grows again before even setting timers for weekly programs.

John

Last edited by hiljoball; 2011-02-27 at 03:19 PM.
Old 2011-02-27, 04:15 PM   #89
SD 630 Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by basicbill View Post
When changing channels, the sound is delayed.
Hi basicbill,

Two settings to check:

1) OPTIONS 4-5 (Video Settings). Ensure that "Output Format" is not set to HDMI. Use 1080i instead.

2) OPTIONS 4-2 (Audio Settings). Ensure that "Digital Audio" is not set to PCM. It needs to be on Dolby Digital.

For the receiver connected via HDMI, change "HDMI Audio" to PCM instead of Auto and see if that makes a difference for you.
Old 2011-02-27, 06:51 PM   #90
D Dickens
Rookie

Default SD 605 Picture Quality

I recently replaced my SD505 receiver with a new 605. The picture quality appears to be worse on the HD channels with the new 605. I have it hooked up to a Sony 1080 HDTV via a HDMI cable. I have changed the video settings to try to get a better picture without success. Any ideas?

Thanks...