Shaw Direct HDDSR 605 Owners Discussion thread for owners ONLY! - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Direct (formerly Star Choice)

Old 2011-01-31, 02:05 PM   #61
tvmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodie View Post
With the 505 I used the coax out from the receiver to distribute the same signal to other TV's in the house. With the 605 there is no coax out so what is the best solution to distribute to the other TV's.
You need an RF Modulator, like this one:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103095

they can be found in lots of places, ebay, radio shack, Craiglist, sometimes your cable company will give you one for free (mine did).

If you need to split the composite outputs for multiple use, then you'll also need a distribution amp:

http://www.thesource.ca/estore/produ...ine&tab=3#more

A vcr would also work, but if you're lookng for more flexibility and space concerns, then this is also an option
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-02-01, 06:39 AM   #62
RaymondT

I have one minor issue with both the 605 and 630. I've had to do soft reboots to restore access to the odd channel. Once the channel disappears from the guide, even keying in the channel won't work. Out of the blue, both units did it a few days ago - but on different channels. The 630 lost BBC Canada and the 605 lost one of the network feeds in the upper 300 range (old mapping). Hope this doesn't happen too often, it's already happened before to the 630.
Old 2011-02-01, 06:52 AM   #63
QCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondT View Post
I have one minor issue with both the 605 and 630. I've had to do soft reboots to restore access to the odd channel. Once the channel disappears from the guide, even keying in the channel won't work. Out of the blue, both units did it a few days ago - but on different channels. The 630 lost BBC Canada and the 605 lost one of the network feeds in the upper 300 range (old mapping). Hope this doesn't happen too often, it's already happened before to the 630.
Many users have the same problem including myself. This is a known issue, we are all just waiting paitently for an update that resolves this and other issues. The 605 and 630 are based on the same software and the 630 receiver came out in September, and it is February now...
Old 2011-02-03, 08:10 AM   #64
Krydor

I'm just going to add my disappointment with the lack of recurring auto-tunes. When and if hard drive support is added, I expect to be able to set recurring records. Glaring oversight, in my opinion.
Old 2011-02-03, 12:35 PM   #65
gkvarga
Rookie

Unhappy Pixelization

Sorry if I'm not posting in the right forum but I recently signed up to Shaw Direct and have two 605 receivers. Unfortunately I am not happy with the picture quality. The picture becomes very pixelated on fast moving scenes, it is quite noticeable on TSN, when logos fly in, sports events fast camera movements etc. This pixelization is happening on both recievers, both TV's. I run both through HDMI. Is this normal with Shaw, I keep reading that the Shaw signal is very clear, way better than Bell but I am not seeing it. Not on 1080i or 720p.

I used to be on Bell and partcularly TSN was always very sharp.

Help would be appreciated.
Old 2011-02-03, 05:19 PM   #66
QCK

gkvarga, you will get pixelation on HD channels if your dish is not aligned well. Tell us your Ecb/No strengths on some of your HD channels. If it is under 6.0 on some of the channels you have problems with you need your dish aligned better.
Old 2011-02-07, 12:13 PM   #67
pibo
Rookie

Default DSR605 No HDMI Audio

Have no audio on the DSR605 on the HDMI output while tuning the signal. Tried another HDMI cable and still no audio. There is audio, the steady tone, when using the analog outputs. Have a green bar and have not activated the receiver.

The HDMI audio of the TV does work with a different brand satellite receiver. Is this normal for a Shaw receiver or is the HDMI defective?

Last edited by 57; 2011-02-07 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Moved to SD forum
Old 2011-02-07, 05:16 PM   #68
SD 630 Support

Hi pibo,

This is normal. The chipset does not support the tone via HDMI. All other audio is supported.

You can use stereo audio if you need the tone for alignment, or else use a helper to yell out the signal readings.
Old 2011-02-13, 09:41 PM   #69
Maxi123
Rookie

I have the same probleme of gkvarga.
And my Ecb/No is 6.8..

I have the new 605 too, and before that i was with rogers, and not make that on my Panasonic TV.

I'm not very happy with the quality picture pixelated a lot with Shaw.
Not make a month i'm with Shaw..

gkvarga is the first one i fount on internet with the probleme as me.

Sorry if my english is not very good, i'm french..

Hope you can help me a bit with that
Old 2011-02-14, 10:17 AM   #70
jbracing24
Veteran

Quote:
I'm not very happy with the quality picture pixelated a lot with Shaw. Not make a month i'm with Shaw..
Calling Shaw Direct should be your priority. They need to know and offer their services to you. They WILL make it right.
Old 2011-02-14, 12:29 PM   #71
Maxi123
Rookie

Just call Shaw direct and they told me Ecb/No 6.8/7.2 is very too low for HD.
In my room standard receiver i reach Ecb/No 10..
Someone suppose to come this week to re aligned my dish.

I let you know after that, if i see a difference, hope so.

Thanks for your comment.
Old 2011-02-16, 08:30 AM   #72
dns2

Is it possible to use an lcd PC monitor as a tv with the 605 receiver ?

It appears an LCD computer monitor is a lot cheaper than an HD tv of equivalent size but would it work ?

Pro's and cons ?

dns2
Old 2011-02-16, 09:19 AM   #73
Jables

^^^

Assuming you're using HDMI (or HDMI to DVI) to connect to the monitor, you need to make sure it supports HDCP.
Old 2011-02-16, 09:45 AM   #74
smp01

Quote:
Originally Posted by dns2 View Post

It appears an LCD computer monitor is a lot cheaper than an HD tv of equivalent size but would it work ?

Pro's and cons ?

dns2
you would need to figure out how you would do sound
Old 2011-02-16, 10:28 AM   #75
SD 630 Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dns2 View Post

Pro's and cons ?
As mentioned, you need a monitor that supports HDCP. Most monitors manufactured in the last few years should support this spec.

You can use a HDMI-DVI adapter to connect the 6XX to a DVI monitor.

Some monitors also have HDMI inputs, and some of these have built-in speakers. This takes care of your sound problem.

The biggest con (in my opinion) is the lack of remote control. You can't control the volume or turn the monitor on/off without getting up. Unless it's just sitting on a desk at arm's length, this gets really inconvenient after awhile.