HD On-Screen Guide - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Direct (formerly Star Choice)

Old 2013-05-31, 04:18 PM   #1
paddy209

Default HD On-Screen Guide

Anyone know when the new HD On-Screen Guide will be released? A letter was sent out with the monthly bills over a year ago telling about the new G1 satellite, Video On Demand (VOD) and the HD On-Screen Guide, all to start last fall.
paddy209 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2013-05-31, 06:40 PM   #2
Snickerdoodles

I thought I saw an image of what the new guide was supposed to look like on Shaw's website, but it could have been a shot of their digital cable guide even though it was on the Shaw Direct website.
Snickerdoodles is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2013-05-31, 09:42 PM   #3
GaryE
Veteran

On their facebook page someone asked about the HD guide and they now say maybe in the Fall/2013.
Old 2013-06-01, 01:15 PM   #4
mellobob

Default How far behind is Shaw?

I've just recently moved to SD from Bell Sat. Not sure if it was the best decision or not ... but this guide is just awful! For some reason I thought they'd have something from this century.
mellobob is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2013-06-01, 02:01 PM   #5
Snickerdoodles

The guide may be clunky, but it's at least functional. I find Bell's guide doesn't display enough of a program name without having to hit Info.
Old 2013-06-01, 08:23 PM   #6
Bayguy

Hi paddy whats an HD guide and will we have to switch between that and a guide for regular channels?
Bayguy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2013-06-02, 07:56 AM   #7
paddy209

We know very little about the new HD guide, in fact all we know for sure is it was to be released last fall.
This letter was included with the Shaw Direct May >2012< bill.
---
>>>May 2012<<<
This spring, we will be the first to provide streaming Video On Demand through your Internet connection and satellite receiver. Shaw Direct On Demand will launch with access to over 1000 movies and TV shows - many of them FREE and in stunning HD - delivered directly to your TV through your receiver. And this is just the beginning - we will be adding thousands of new HD titles in the months ahead;

Our EXCLUSIVE Internet service bundling partnership with XPLORNET kicks off in May. Shaw Direct customers can save over $100 on Xplornet's high speed Internet service. Starting May 9, visit shawdirect.ca to learn more and get access to this special offer.

This fall, we will be introducing a new High-Definition On-Screen Guide with PVR expander capabilities; and,

Finally, we are extremely excited about the launch of our new satellite, Anik G1, this November! This will bring you more HD programming than ever. Shaw Direct will have up to 200 HD CHANNELS, the most HD in Canada! Information on these new channels will be available soon, including the launch of more local channels from across Canada.

Plus, all of the receivers in our new lineup are HD, 3D, MPEG-4 and 1080p compatible and ready for the future.

Last edited by 57; 2013-06-02 at 08:43 AM. Reason: UQR
Old 2013-06-02, 08:21 AM   #8
GaryE
Veteran

Hi Bayguy,

The HD guide is supposed to make better use of wide screen tvs (16:9). Our current guide is just a stretched out version of the 4:3 guide. The new HD guide would give us an extra hour of programming. Instead of the current hour an a half of shows shown in the IPG there would be another hour tacked on. There would some other enhancements as well.

A good example of an HD Guide can be found on Shaw's own Cable TV website...
http://www.shaw.ca/television/hd-guide/
Old 2013-06-02, 12:23 PM   #9
paddy209

Default 7.xx wish list

The 6.xx are a couple years old now so I've started a wish list for the next gen of receivers:

Whole home PVR
HD Guide
Caller ID that works
Manage recordings on PVR remotely via the net
Built in Slingbox
2TB Hard Dive

What can I say I want more, but for now just a HD guide for the 6.xx will due.
Old 2013-06-03, 09:02 AM   #10
Snickerdoodles

My caller ID on the 605 works just fine. I had to tweak settings on my VoIP ATA to make it closer resemble the calling pattern of a POTS line, but since then there's been no issue at all.
Old 2013-06-03, 12:11 PM   #11
Bayguy

Hi Gary and Paddy thank you for the info on the HD Guide that looks nice.
Bayguy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2013-06-03, 12:25 PM   #12
d_source

Snickerdoodles - What ATA are you using? And what settings did you change to get it to work? I'm using an Obi110 with voip.ms. CID works maybe 10% of the time.
d_source is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2013-06-03, 06:28 PM   #13
Snickerdoodles

I'm using an SPA2000 and it was set to a trapezoidal ringform at 25Hz by default. Setting it to sinusoidal at 20Hz resolved the issue and CID works 100% of the time.

I have a pair of Obi202s at my store and they both had those settings set correctly from the factory, so your Obi110 probably does too. I should point out that I have an SPA112 I use here at home for a business line and even when I change those settings I still can't get the CID to come up on TV, and I've tried this with both voip.ms and Acanac VoIP accounts. I haven't played around with many of the settings though (e.g. voltage) so there's probably still some stuff to try that I haven't bothered with.

Either way, I suspect any issues with CID not showing up are related to VoIP ATAs in some form or another rather than the box itself.
Old 2013-06-03, 07:09 PM   #14
paddy209

I'm using Bell and CID only works 1 out of 20 calls.
-
I received this reply from Shaw Direct today:

We never actually had a confirmed date for the HD guide. Right now, we’re looking at a possible launch this fall, but there is nothing set in stone. Shaw Cable launched their HD guide last fall, so I’m afraid there may have been some miscommunication in regards to this.
---
Miscommunication maybe, but it was SD that sent out the letter a year ago to Shaw Direct customers.
Old 2013-06-03, 07:53 PM   #15
yyzlhr

I also remember looking into shaw direct as I was possibly moving to an area without cable tv service.

I remember on their website it clearly stated that they were going to launch an HD guide by fall of last year I believe. Obviously, they have since removed that part of their website.
yyzlhr is online now   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.