85cm Round Dish + Linear LNB for Shaw Direct? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Direct (formerly Star Choice)

Old 2014-02-18, 11:10 AM   #1
Blackhawks
Rookie

Smile 85cm Round Dish + Linear LNB for Shaw Direct?

I have had Shaw Direct for about a year now. The 60cm eliptical dish has the new xKu LNB and I have PVR630 and HD600 boxes. The mapping of the STBs are 4321.

I want to be able to watch hockey out on the campsite in May. I only need CBC and TSN feeds which are on AnikF1 and F2 and dont necessarily need channels off the new G1 satellite.

I have an 85cm round dish and generic linear LNB. Can I use these with my SD boxes? I have some FTA experience and have used this combination before. I understand that I will only be able to use one satellite at a time, and unless I want to keep rotating the LNB, can only get either vertical or horizontal channels at once.

What I dont understand is SD mapping/v-code issue. Is channel mapping and v-code the same thing? It is my understanding that the SD boxes mapping must match the LNB meaning I need to buy a second xKu LNB. I think the mapping/v-code of the LNB must match the boxes or they will not work. Is this correct? Does that mean that I can never use the generic linerar LNB with SD boxes? If I need an SD LNB, can I get away with a used xKu LNB? What about a used regular non-xKu LNB without asking Shaw to remap (which I understand they will not)?

Any input would be much appreciated ... playoffs start in 2 months!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2014-02-18, 12:21 PM   #2
envirogeek

Location: Calgary - Shaw phone/internet, OTA attic / Pigeon Lake - CCI Wireless, VoIP.ms, OTA, FTA, LTSS

With all the gymnastics involved to set this up on an FTA configuration these days, it might be best to just keep your eyes open for a used ShawDirect dish with an xKu.

Do you want to flip between games on TSN and CBC?

With equipment you have today, do you have 2 linear LNBs, a 22 khz switch and a dual lnb mount that can handle 4 degree sat separation for the dish?

When you really want to watch a game, do you want to be messing with a dish?

With the standard dish you could find a location with line of sight at your campsite, plumb a tripod, plug your location into dishpointer, adjust the dish for the angles in dishpointer and you're done.
Old 2014-02-18, 01:25 PM   #3
Blackhawks
Rookie

Enviro - I totally agree, buying a SD dish c/w xKu would be the easy answer! Realistically, it would be tuned to CBC and left there. However, I never do the things the easy way I guess what I am saying, is it possible to do? Is it possible to use the generic linear LNB with my SD boxes? Or is this mapping/v-code stuff going to prevent me?
Old 2014-02-23, 05:14 PM   #4
46FD04

When you say SD boxes, do you mean Standard Def'n or Shaw Direct?

As a Shaw installer, I can tell you that all of the receivers attached to your account will be programmed for your 60E elliptical dish and xKu LNB.

The easiest thing to do is replace the old round dish with another Shaw dish.
Old 2014-02-23, 06:28 PM   #5
m3repair

I have a feeling the OP could just get away with using OTA instead no if its just for CBC and NBC? I don't think he wants or intends to buy a dish just for a few days and have it end up living back in the garage if you know what I mean.
Old 2014-02-24, 12:09 AM   #6
46FD04

m3repair,

Depending on where Blackhawk's campsite is located, OTA TV may not be available.
Old 2014-02-26, 02:18 AM   #7
majortom
Veteran

TSN isn't OTA is it?
He mentions a desire to switch between CBC and TSN. Never mentioned NBC.
Old 2014-03-15, 09:57 AM   #8
DrSat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawks View Post
I want to be able to watch hockey out on the campsite in May. I only need CBC and TSN feeds which are on AnikF1 and F2 and dont necessarily need channels off the new G1 satellite.

I have an 85cm round dish and generic linear LNB. Can I use these with my SD boxes? I have some FTA experience and have used this combination before. I understand that I will only be able to use one satellite at a time, and unless I want to keep rotating the LNB, can only get either vertical or horizontal channels at once.
To answer your question, yes you may use your 85cm dish and generic linear LNB assuming it is a standard 10750 type even if your account is setup for xKu. However, you will only be able to receive channels which are on the F2 111.1W satellite. In your case, this means that both TSN and CBC from Toronto would be available but only in HD which should not be an issue as you will be using an HD receiver at the campsite.

Also, you won't have an issue receiving both horizontal and vertical transponders at the same time assuming your LNBF skew is set correctly. Any DTH satellite provider including Shaw Direct uses standard 13v / 18v for polarity switching which is also used on FTA satellite when using a LNBF.

So to sum it up, you simply have to aim your 85cm dish to receive 111.1W and you will receive all 125+ channels from the Anik F2 satellite that you are subscribed to. Any channels located on Anik F1 or Anik G1 @ 107.3W would NOT be receivable using a standard 10750 LNBF even if you aim your dish to it.

Last edited by DrSat; 2014-03-15 at 12:33 PM.
Old 2014-03-15, 09:59 AM   #9
DrSat

Isn't there a way for a member to delete a duplicate post made in error such as this one? I can edit but not delete but other vBulletin boards allow you to delete as well.

Last edited by DrSat; 2014-03-15 at 10:36 AM.