CTV Toronto HD 5.1 Sound Problems? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Direct (formerly Star Choice)

Old 2014-09-24, 02:15 AM   #1
peternm22

Default CTV Toronto HD 5.1 Sound Problems?

I noticed this a couple weeks ago when watching Conan on CTV Toronto HD (channel 293 on the classic line up). My surround receiver reports a 5.1 audio signal, but only the left and right channels have any sound.

Normally with stereo programs, the receiver takes the two channels and can output 5.1 sound with Dolby Pro Logic. Since the receiver thinks it's getting 5.1 sound, it doesn't know to run Dolby Pro Logic. So I have some speakers which remain completely quiet while on CTV Toronto HD.

I noticed this again happening on Agents of Shield tonight, and again on Conan. It happens on both a 505 receiver and a 605 receiver. I get 5.1 sound fine on all other channels, including CTV Vancouver HD (which I can only get on the 605 because it's MPEG4). It seems to be just this one channel that the audio is messed up on.

Can anyone else confirm if they are seeing (hearing) this on Shaw Direct too? Since it's happening on two different receivers, I'm thinking it's not a problem with my setup.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2014-09-24, 09:53 AM   #2

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Here's the FAQ on the topic - see the paragraphs on "improperly encoded" audio.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17870

I would contact the channels and copy your provider. Note that some channels (CBC, CBCNN) have this for a fair number of programmes - this is because the CBC always sends a DD5.1 signal, even if the original programme is only 2 channel. They had issues when they switched back and forth. Some channels use an "upmixer" to invoke their own form of DPL into the DD5.1 stream from the original 2-channel stream, so that it comes out properly on your AVR, instead of out the LF & RF speakers)