Shaw-Global Takeover Decision - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > Television Industry / Channels and Providers

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2010-10-22, 12:32 PM   #16
HD_Junkie

Quote:
Do they actually think if the decision was released in the middle of the day that it would crash the stock market?!
No, but who ever gets the info first makes the most money. Doing it after the stock market closes gives the information time to propagate. I have to agree the CRTC and competition watch dog if they do any thing it will be trivial. Sell off your 50 watt transmitter in Nowhereville or some such. Remember this was originally spun as saving almost all of broadcasting when the deal was first done.
HD_Junkie is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2010-10-22, 12:44 PM   #17
Donnybrook

Shaw & Bell will have the same restrictions.

I expect
A) Carry 1, carry all for OTA stations. ie If you carry Global from Regina, you must carry all Regina OTA channels

B) Restriction on % of Cat 1 stations that 1 company can own

C) Maximum ownership % ceiling by 1 company on non OTA services

Shaw missed the street expected profit by 15% this quarter - smart they announced it same day as CRTC decision. Good time for Cowboy Jim to announce his "retirement". Maybe he'll be next head of CRTC.
Old 2010-10-22, 01:08 PM   #18
MAXAM

I just heard on BNN that Jim Shaw is stepping down and will be replaced by his younger brother, Bradley. The change won't take place until January. The timing of this announcement strikes me as kind of odd due to the upcoming CRTC decision on the Global TV takeover later today.
MAXAM is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-10-22, 05:02 PM   #19
bigoranget
Veteran

And it's approved as expected.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2010/2010-782.htm
bigoranget is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-10-22, 06:51 PM   #20
madhi19

Was there any doubt? The CRTC never met a cartel/monopoly they did not like!
madhi19 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-10-22, 09:23 PM   #21
Jase88

I'm happy about the decision. It saves a Canadian icon in broadcasting. And Shaw has committed to upgrading to DTV, even in small markets. And they're expanding morning programming in some markets.

In other words, besides buying the assets, it looks like they intend to improve things as well.
Old 2010-10-22, 11:32 PM   #22
mjjl

Interesting that Shaw is committing to bring back local morning shows in Toronto and Montreal, and adding shows in Regina, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, and Halifax. That'll be a first for Saskatchewan, having a local TV morning show.
mjjl is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-10-23, 01:18 AM   #23
GeorgeMx

The Shaw deal was the only one available to the CRTC. If they refused it there was a very real possibility that the trustee in bankruptcy would have closed parts of the operation such as the Global network. The only realistic course of action for the Commission was to approve the transfer of ownership subject to terms and conditions ensuring public benefits. They were able to get a commitment for digital conversion of OTA transmitters outside mandatory markets and a Shaw Direct free satellite service for people living in places where analog channels 52 to 69 are turned off and not replaced at the end of August 2011. They also got commitments to additional local programming and some dramatic program production.

The CRTC action preserved television services and media jobs. They got what they could from the deal.
GeorgeMx is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-10-23, 11:10 AM   #24
user

The Shaw deal wasn't the only one. Remember back in February Leonard Asper teamed up with some other investors and Catalyst group to make a bid for Canwest, but it was rejected.
user is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-10-23, 12:30 PM   #25
roger1818
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by user View Post
The Shaw deal wasn't the only one. Remember back in February Leonard Asper teamed up with some other investors and Catalyst group to make a bid for Canwest, but it was rejected.
That is true, but I am not convinced that having Leonard Asper at the helm again would have been a better option. Even if it was a better option, it would likely be difficult to resurrect that deal (though not impossible). So I agree with Jase88 and GeorgeMx that it was the best option available to the CRTC and I am happy with it. Now lets see if Shaw follows through on their promises.
roger1818 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-10-23, 12:32 PM   #26
roger1818
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase88 View Post
Shaw has committed to upgrading to DTV, even in small markets.
It is interesting that the CRTC has given them 5 years to upgrade to DTV in non-mandatory markets. I wonder if this will become the deadline for other transmitters.
Old 2010-10-23, 02:07 PM   #27
user

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
That is true, but I am not convinced that having Leonard Asper at the helm again would have been a better option. Even if it was a better option, it would likely be difficult to resurrect that deal (though not impossible). So I agree with Jase88 and GeorgeMx that it was the best option available to the CRTC and I am happy with it. Now lets see if Shaw follows through on their promises.
Actually it was someone else who was going to be CEO. Leonard Apser would play a smaller role.
user is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-10-23, 02:20 PM   #28
roger1818
Veteran

Thinking more about it, one thing I wish was specified in the decision was a commitment to add stations in Ottawa and London (and maybe some other key markets). It seems crazy that both Regina and Saskatoon can have their own Global station, but both London and Ottawa get repeaters of Global Toronto. I realize the historical reasons for this (Global Toronto used to be Global Ontario), but those reasons don't exist anymore.

I meant to file an intervention about this, but ran out of time.
Old 2010-10-23, 02:43 PM   #29
downbeat

It might be too late to intervene in the regulatory process but it's never too late to write to Global to let them know about your concerns.
downbeat is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-10-23, 06:02 PM   #30
verd

Does anyone suppose that this takeover will speed up the launch of HD versions of Food, HGTV, etc?
verd is offline   Quick reply to this message

Tags
canwest, crtc decision, global, shaw

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.