Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

CLOSED — Shaw Gateway: Original code iS1

518K views 2K replies 239 participants last post by  downbeat 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Gateway/Portal(s) have been updated to the new code version iS2, so please use the following NEW MAIN THREAD:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=145709

Before you post there, please see this list of issues …
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=145359
… to avoid duplicate reports.

Other threads of note:

Adding external drives
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=142528

Gateway promotions (new subs only)
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=144468

Wait times for Gateway support
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=145274

Cheers,
downbeat

See less See more
#144 ·
Freeborn: Was there any amount given for the 'rent to own' option?

If these are the prices, I'm going to wait as I'm sure they will be forced to lower the price in short order. That or they will have a rude awakening and have to re-evaluate the entire venture as I honestly don't think there will be that many takers at that price, especially given the history of what we have now.

#146 ·
Sorry, my point was: $700 for something full of problems, that quickly (within a year or two) dropped in price tells me I should wait a couple of years maybe and then buy in for the much lower price and hopefully fewer bugs. Fool me once.......

#148 ·
Hi ShawGuy2011,

I read through your recent post and clipped this part:

Back end support for Flash/Actionscript, JavaScript, web applications, UI skins and 3rd party UIs, C++/OpenGL applications - This means the programming environment is very much open for us to explore.
Potential for over 50 widgets and apps
Dozen Flash Based Interactive games access via guide (some with PiP (Picture in Picture) view) Active
Will Shaw give third party developers easy ways to install custom UIs/apps on their own/others boxes?

Also, I didn't see you mention Bluetooth. Any Bluetooth keyboard support?

Thx.

#149 ·
Hello all,

To clarify some recent posts as the information below is available for reps now, and altogether, here is some more information. This is the latest info.

Terminology / Description:

• Gateway = The central hub "Brain". Not sold separately, is not a standalone HD-PVR unit. The Gateway is typically installed maybe in a Basement or where the Cable enters the home. It contains the actual Hard Drive to make the system work. This communicates with the Total Home Portals through MoCA (Multimedia over Coaxial Alliance) technology.
  • Total Home Portal = The HD units that would connect to a TV in the home. These units are fanless and you need one of these to connect to the Gateway.

Cost Billing Clarification:
Gateway + 1 Portal = $598 or Easy Own option of $17/month over 36 months
Additional Portals = $178 or Easy Own option of $5/month over 36 months
Easy Own option is not a rent to own option - you own it right away

Warranty:
3 Year warranty offered on Gateway and Portal equipment

PVR Swap/ Trade Program Options:
Customers can do a 1:1 Swap of their current Owned HDPVR for 1 Total Home Portal. Available on additional Portals only (N/A on the $598 Gateway + 1 Portal)
Customers who own a Gateway and Total Home Portal can trade in up to 3 Shaw PVR's for additional portals. Only the following Boxes are eligible for the Trade up program:
  1. DCT 3080 - Motorola Standard Definition PVR
  2. DCT 6208 - Motorola HDPVR
  3. DCT 6412 - Motorola HDPVR
  4. DCT 6416 - Motorola HDPVR
  5. DCT 3416 - Motorola HDPVR
  6. DCT 3400 - Motorola HDPVR
  7. Pace Tahoe HDPVR
  8. Pace Aspen HDPVR
  9. Pace Whistler HDPVR
  10. Pace Summit+Expander HDPVR

Existing Equipment in the Home Compatibility:
Customers can continue to use any Shaw equipment they have in the home in conjunction with the Gateway. However, legacy equipment will not connect/communicate with the Gateway but will work independent as before.

Gateway Product Features [What can it do?]:
  • The Gateway can connect up to 6 TV's at one time.
  • The Gateway can support a total of 9 HD streams of content at any one time, meaning you can watch live TV on one TV, record 5 HD shows and playback 3 additional shows all at one time. Or you can record 6 HD shows and playback 3 shows at the same time.
  • 500 GB Internal Hard Drive - Option of adding external Hard Drive. Gateway can Expand up to 6 TB + the Internal Hard Drive.
  • Smart/Trick Fast Forward / Rewind options - Customize to either 30 seconds, or 3,5,15 minute intervals optionally available on each TV.
  • Full VOD Guide Integration, Access to the Full Shaw VOD suite via the remote (this includes all the VOD titles we offer online)
  • Pause Live TV and move to another TV and pick it up
  • Set up recordings, pause, fast forward, and rewind live TV from any TV connected to a Total Home Portal.
  • 12 on screen Video Games built into guide
  • Fully integrated Interactive Guide with Full Search functionality
    • Search Live TV, Video On Demand, Pay Per View, recordings option or mixture category search, EG just Video on Demand content.
    • Search for just HD content including what you have recorded
    • Search for just movies in SD and HD
    • Search for just news in SD and HD
    • Search for just kids shows in SD and HD
    • Search for just Sport in SD and HD
    • Search for just Music
    • All above search options also populate any matches in previously recorded content
    • Personalize your Guide Line up by removing channels you do not want in the guide or search to populate
    • Grid guide - full HD 3 HR view with PIP
    • See and search 12-14 days in advance on any connected tv
  • Full Series recording options -
    • Schedule Series recordings to either Start or Stop, 1,2,5 minutes early or later or start on time
    • Priority Recording available - Recording Priority of one show over another
    • Time Slot Series Recording - Pick your timeslot or All options. Eg 4-5pm or 10-11pm
    • Repeats and First Run options
    • Series Recording - Episode Limits - Record either 1,3,5,10,20 or unlimited episodes
    • Cancel a series recording anytime

Future Features coming to the Gateway:
  • Integration of Web Content into the Gateway, providing internet access through the TV
  • Home Sharing - Providing customers with the ability to connect to the main centre into their home network, allowing the sharing of pictures and videos to their TV.
  • Remote PVR Scheduling - meaning you will be able to set up recordings on the Gateway from online and handheld devices
  • Global Search options expanded to include PC files, Flicker, Shaw Photo Share etc
  • Ticker Feed - Customized Weather and News
  • Integration of social media, including Shaw Photo Share, Flicker, You Tube and Facebook

Launch dates:
Calgary : May 3rd
Edmonton: June
Vancouver: July
National Launch in all Fibre Fed area's: August

Summary - at a glance info:
  • Storage Capacity and Comparison: 500GB internal hard drive expandable to 6.5TB
  • Content Sharing with other devices: Yes - Summer 2011
  • Number of TV's that can be connected - 6
  • Max Number of Simultaneous Recordings - 6HD
  • Playbacks that can be watched Simultaneously - 4HD + 2SD
  • Can a program be rewound if the channel is changed and changed back again - YES
  • In Home Internet Speeds - Up to 100mbps
  • In-Home Internet speeds affected by TV use - NO
  • Will Legacy SD,HD,HDPVR boxes still work in my home - YES
  • Remote PVR Scheduling - Slated for Fall/Winter 2011
  • 16:9 Aspect Ratio: YES
  • Dolby Digital 5.1: YES
  • 3D ready: YES
  • Maximum boxes per house: 1 Gateway and 6 Portals
  • Arcade Video Games: YES
  • Watch TV while surfing the guide: YES
  • Parental Controls: YES
  • Installation Charge: NO - Free on all boxes
  • Ethernet connections inactive at this time
  • Backlit streamlined remote control

Pictures of front/back of the hardware showing connections of Gateway and Portal [technical]:
Album here: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/album.php?albumid=750

Sizes:
(Not totally approx)
Portals
  • Width: 27.3cm
  • Length: 16.5cm
  • Height: 4.5cm
Gateway:
  • Width: 34.3cm
  • Length: 31.1cm
  • Height: 8.2cm

Working on some guide pictures and remote control pictures. What do you guys think? any questions?

#361 ·
Lots of confusion here. The gateway supports MPEG-4, but most of Shaw's channels are still MPEG-2. There are either 2 or 3 channels per QAM (38 Mbps).

The gateway supports 9 "actions" including recording channels that are broadcast from the head-end. Channels that are recorded to disk don't use any bandwidth on the internal network until they are watched.

Each player only plays 1 video stream which would be a maximum of 19 Mbps for broadcast TV.
  • Number of TV's that can be connected - 6
  • Max Number of Simultaneous Recordings - 6HD
  • Playbacks that can be watched Simultaneously - 4HD + 2SD

#151 ·
Hey there, yes that is correct. This is the plan for launch. I can see where you are frustrated ( I have 2x 3400's too). In essence I think there should be a different option for the 3400 personally. All the other equipment can be swapped regardless of age as far as I am aware which I think is a good thing. Just the 3400 being a year old, I paid $348 for mine, could do with better options. We did pass that feedback along too. There maybe different options in the future for that particular model but no guarantees.

I was thinking if a customer brought Gateway plus 2 portals (so a minimum of 2tv set up) and traded a 3400 towards that, there should be something extra there. That's just my opinion.

#152 ·
Yeah, this is both exciting and frustrating for sure. I managed to score a really good deal on my two 3400's. $600 for both. That's great and all, but the fact that I purchased them in November and now the exchange is only worth $356... somewhat unfair. I also went out and purchased a 3200 in order to get HD on an additional TV only 3 weeks ago. Those are the units that should count as a Portal, as their cost is about $178 as well.

It's great that they are offering a "trade-up" program, but let's be fair about it.

#153 ·
Thanks for the great info Shaw Champ.

I'm sure Shaw will get their share of customers for this product. People always seem to have money for their toys.

Sadly I won't be one of them this time. I shelled out around $700 for my DCT6412 and $300 for my DCT6200 what seems like a few short years ago. The technology sounds great, and as much as I would like to, there's no way I can justify this new expense.

I know they are bringing this in to compete with Telus' Optik TV...but the start up costs are way out of whack in comparison? Maybe I'm missing something, as I don't really know much about Optik TV.

#154 ·
You mentioned that customers can do a 1:1 swap of their HDPVR . Since the DCT3080 is an SDPVR , would we get the same full credit as for an HDPVR? Also, the link you gave says "Invalid album specified"

I'm actually not impressed by some of the specs, such as the 500 GB HD (I'd expect at least 2TB based on the #tuners and TVs this is designed to support). If it supports 6 HD tuners, I don't understand the "4+2" playback - does it have 6 HD inputs (tuners) and only 4 HD outputs?

#157 ·
I recently switched to Optik, got the PVR and 2nd HD box for $99 each. I can't say I regret the switch seeing the pricing on this new system.

I think it makes sense if you have 4+ TVs in the house, and I like the potential of some of the DLNA capabilities, but the entry price is quite steep. I will watch for reviews from those who take the plunge though. :)

#159 · (Edited by Moderator)
My wife may be more excited about this Whole Home PVR than I am. We'll probably be getting it when it launches in Winnipeg. We'll keep our 6412 for now, but may trade it in later for a portal. Don't really like losing the value of the 6412 and it's been rock solid since launch. Too bad it won't be able to tie into the gateway network.

Found this on the Arris website.

http://www.arrisi.com/solutions/IP_video/index.asp

#174 ·
Telus uses a more aggressive compression scheme to compensate for their small bandwidth. You could compare it to watching a movie on a blu-ray vs. a x264 rip. For the most part, you can't really tell. However, when I've hooked up customers who are switching back, I've have been told numerous times that they can see a difference.

I rather get the full HD stream and slap in an inexpensive sata drive (expander) if needed.

#162 · (Edited by Moderator)
Regarding the tuners, I believe you can watch or record 2 HD and playback 4HD and playback 2 SD at the same time. I will have to check on that though.

As for the internal 500GB, I can tell you it is an internal Seagate Pipeline V2 model. The external expandability to the full 6TB is something that will be enabled at National launch. Arris tested the "lacie" 4 and 6TB storage clusters.

6TB would give 1000 hours of HD storage according to them.

You can use 1TB expanders at the moment all 3 of the manufacturers and models Shaw uses are guaranteed to work. A consideration of using 2TB is that it has different dimensions, heavier, more heat and a bit louder.

The info given out is that a 3080 is a definite trade option for a Portal.

#166 ·
Like buying a Cadillac with half the buttons missing for the stereo, air conditioning and power seats. Why can't Shaw just wait until they are actually able to offers us ALL the bells and whistles 'enabled' and working with these things?

Oh, thanks for posting the pics, downbeat.

#168 ·
Thanks for the great info Shaw Champ. We appreciate the information you provide to us.

I will have to think long and hard about upgrading due to the cost of the Gateway. As far as the HD size, I am again surprised about the small size supplied with the very small difference in cost between 500GB and 2TB hard drives ($40 - $90 retail).

#291 ·
@freeborn, I so understand your pain.... The eyes glaze over when you make the "logical" assessment... I have learned to make myself tear up like a 5 year old child... she still falls for that and I am not beyond sacrificing my dignity...

#173 ·
Thanks, Shaw Champ, I guess I need to check the date on the calendar before getting too excited. Will there be any info on the website here if it is just a 'soft launch' as you say?

#177 ·
Hi Jetranger, this week is a soft launch in Calgary, eg Reps can book and take orders for the Gateway in Calgary only from tomorrow. There should be info up on the website probably towards end of next week at some point, we are just easing this in to make sure we can get as many reps and teams as possible totally familiarized with the product. More of a larger, broader announcements will most likely come in August when it rolls out nearly everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.