Multiswitch Discussions - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Direct (formerly Star Choice)

Old 2010-11-10, 01:35 PM   #76
QCK

Just FYI, the signal strength (Ecb) did not change when I installed the Zinwell WB68 switch with my 505s and 530s. That was one thing I was concerned about was signal loss, and the length of the cables are between 150 - 200 feet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2010-11-23, 09:23 AM   #77
HDTVFanAtic

I can tell you that my signal strength actually increased slightly with the WB68 than it is without it. Apparently it is able to use the current from the IRD to power itself without a seperate PSU.
Old 2010-11-24, 08:47 PM   #78
torchddv
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatkev78 View Post
This is kind of out there, but you're able to have 6 receivers on your account: so if all 6 were PVR's would you be able to setup 2 dishes with 2 multiswitches and have it work (using 12 of the 16 lines)?
Sorry to wander slightly off-topic here, but can you do that? Is the limit on the number of receivers or the number of tuners?

I have 6 single-tuner receivers -- one in each kid's room, one in the living room and one in the basement. Can I swap in a PVR for the one in the basement even though that's actually 7 tuners total?
Old 2010-11-24, 09:32 PM   #79
Shear Force

The limit is 6 boxes regardless of the # of tuners in each box.
Old 2010-11-25, 12:43 AM   #80
ae_collector

Yes you could have 2 dishes each with a multiswitch to operate 12 tuners in 6 boxes. I believe that there are larger multiswitches available which would eliminate the need for the second dish.
Old 2010-11-25, 02:27 AM   #81
Jimsathome

Cool The easier way...

Gents,

There is no technical rational to use 2 dishes for this project. All you need is 2 multiswitches, and 4 two way, one port power passing high frequency splitters (or 5 if you are using a 5X8 multiswitch configuration. ). You'll also save a lot of cable!

Just make sure the "legs" are the same going into each multiswitch from each high frequency splitter (the 13V, 18V, 13V with 22KHz, and 18 with 22KHz). All Multiswitches are labled so it's pretty simple. You don't need to use Eagle Aspen.

Larger Multiswitches are available but the costs go up very dramatically. You can grab a Phillips SWD5058/17 5X8 Multiswitch from Princess Auto for about $35, or something off eBay for even less.

I'd pull all 4 feeds from your Quad LNB inside the house, and mount all the devices on plywood. Then feed the output of the Multiswitches to any Tuner / Reciever. Mine is outside so my neighbor can connect using his own Shaw Direct account. He helped out a ton with a very tough install so it was the least I could do.

If you are using a 5X8 Multiswitch you'll also need some diplexers for those TVs where you need to un-multiplex the mixed signal.

I hope this is helpful.
Old 2010-11-30, 11:47 AM   #82
tvmaster

Aspen Eagle, Terk, Phillips . . . all 5x8 multiswitches (which I need).

For a Shaw Direct Quad LNB dish, will they all perform equally as well? Are they all indoor/outdoor, or are some more fragile outdoors?
What about the "antenna" aspect - all good performers there?

Owners, please comment.
Thanks
Old 2010-11-30, 12:25 PM   #83
Jimsathome

Cool

I researched various multiswitches and found few that were outdoor rated. As you can see my experience is only recent with the Phillips unit and so far it's working fine. I'm mounting it outdoors, where it should be inside an enclosure of some sort to shield it from the elements (particularly water in it's various forms in winter) and mechanical damage by people and animals.

I've got a 20 X 10 inch plastic enclosure designed for telephone / cable systems for it. It's water resistant to about NEMA 4 enclosure level and quite robust. The photo of the multiswitch is just the temporary install to acertain 100% system functionality. Even the F connectors used will be changed to an outdoor moisture resistant type. I'm contemplating using dielectric grease as well.
Old 2010-11-30, 12:42 PM   #84
jbracing24
Veteran

My first installation by a *C technician was a stacked elliptical dish with a 2 x 2 multiswitch strapped to the dish arm. Even with proper "weatherproofed" connectors, within a year the cable ends corroded and ruined the switch.
The second installer finally found a hard-to-come-by 2 X 2 switch replacement and installed the cable ends with boot covered connectors. That last a little longer.
I had Shaw replace with the quad lnb's at the time I installed the Eagle Aspen 4 x 8 multiswitch in the shed below the dish. I have had no moisture issues since.
Moral of the story: I don't trust outside placement of multiswitches, even if they claim to be outdoor rated.
Old 2010-11-30, 02:09 PM   #85
QCK

It is for sure better to install your multiswitch inside, and if that is not possible like Jimsathome mentioned buy a small plastic encloser to put the switch in.

tvmaster, the Eagle Aspen powered S-4180-GX+ switch & the Zinwell WB68 non powered switch have been great for me.
Old 2010-11-30, 02:31 PM   #86
tvmaster

yes, the powered ones add difficulty for me, as there is no power on the roof where all the sat gear is - I would have to install an outlet up there. What is the power used for in a multiswitch?
Old 2010-11-30, 02:47 PM   #87
smp01

even if the switch is outdoor rated, you are still subjecting the connections to the elements.

mine is inside, warm and dry. Makes checking for issues in the dead of winter a little easier.

mine is a Zinwell WB68. works great
Old 2010-11-30, 02:47 PM   #88
jbracing24
Veteran

Run the four cables from your dish to any dry location where you can provide power. The multiswitch doesn't have to be that close to the dish. All you need is one half a duplex electrical plug and the power cord to the switch is usually fairly generous.
Old 2010-11-30, 03:37 PM   #89
Jimsathome

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster View Post
yes, the powered ones add difficulty for me, as there is no power on the roof where all the sat gear is - I would have to install an outlet up there. What is the power used for in a multiswitch?
It's quite common for me to see Bell /Telus Dishes here in Greater Vancouver with switches hanging off them but they don't have a potenial for 8 outputs (only 4).

I too strongly urge you to pull the 4 Cables into someplace warm and dry, install the multiswitch (powered or unpowered) and distribute the signal from there.
Old 2010-11-30, 04:16 PM   #90
QCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster View Post
Buy the Zinwell WB68, like I said it works fine and no additional power is needed.