Multiswitch Discussions - Page 11 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Direct (formerly Star Choice)

Old 2011-08-09, 12:05 AM   #151
johnnucleo

Quote:
Originally Posted by smp01 View Post
If you wanted to remove one of your 600s, then you could do away with the mutil-switch. The four lines from the LNB would go directly to the receivers (2 for the 630 and 1 each for the 2 600s)

Bite the bullet. Get the muti-switch installed inside (basement) somewhere.

Now, you could still run the wiring you were hoping for. Run all 4 lines into the switch. The one that you wanted off on its own, just run an output from the switch back outside again and around to the side of the house you want then back inside again to your receiver. I did something similar to take advantage of a pre-existing install. You can run these lines quite a distance before you notice signal drop.
hmm, good call. That's exactly what I'll have to do to make it work, thanks! I already have the mutiswitch..they gave it to me for free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-09-06, 11:01 PM   #152
jacko_450
Rookie

Just got a 630 installed today

Aready had 4 lines coming into house for 4 TV's
Tech had to install Multiswitch in order to get another line.

Was not home at the time (wife was)

So when I got back saw that he installed the switch right below the Soffit under the roof. (guess he had no chioce) reading here he needed the 4 lines for the multiswitch as all the lines go diffrent ways once they run Dwn the house.

Funny thing is how he powered the Multiswitch
he took another Coax cable from the switch and passed it inside
were it ends up connected to a power adapter never knew this could be done)

needless to say looks clean up under Soffit
cables are tucked clean as he could.
and everything seems set up Great

Question: As long as switch is Dry I should have no Issues ?

Jacko
Old 2011-09-07, 12:27 AM   #153
Jimsathome

Good Multiswitches are rated for indoor and outdoor use.

As long as it's kept dry you should be fine. Enjoy!
Old 2011-09-15, 10:49 PM   #154
enrique
Rookie

once your multi is installed, you now have 8 lines so you could technically run 4 pvrs record 7 programs and watch an 8th. clear enuff?
Old 2011-09-15, 10:53 PM   #155
enrique
Rookie

i use 1/4 inch and 3/8 shrink tube on my multis when installin outside for added protction first install the 14 on the line and move out of the way then install the 3/8th and screw terminations to switch then shrink, when shrunk slide the 1/4 in ch over that to ensure 100% weather resistance.
Old 2011-09-15, 11:03 PM   #156
enrique
Rookie

Default Xku lnbf install fix

if someone can tell me how to post a winrar flash drive link i have, I have received a program from shaw direct for installing this to receivers with a USB port. no more 10 -15 minute waits and corruptions.or visit G.Dubois installs on facebook and i will try to have it posted there.somehow. or leave an e-mail address there and i will mail it to you. takes no time whatsoever just read the readm me txt.
Old 2011-09-28, 11:49 PM   #157
The Real Batman

Default need more than 8 out

I have need of more than 8 out (I am planning 5 receivers in my new house, each requiring two lines in).

I currently own/use a 4x8 multi-switch provided by Shaw Direct (StarChoice) a number of years ago.

Is it possible to add a second 4x8 into the first (by using 4 lines out of the first switch and putting them into the 4 in on the second, thus creating a total of 12 out)?

I have tried to purchase a 4x16 - but the company I am dealing with is... uh, not as reputable as I would like (I just checked it out with the BBB and it has an 'F' for an evaluation ).

Thanks for any advice!
Old 2011-09-29, 03:20 AM   #158
Jimsathome

Cool This will work fine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real Batman View Post
I have need of more than 8 out (I am planning 5 receivers in my new house, each requiring two lines in).

I currently own/use a 4x8 multi-switch provided by Shaw Direct (StarChoice) a number of years ago.

Is it possible to add a second 4x8 into the first (by using 4 lines out of the first switch and putting them into the 4 in on the second, thus creating a total of 12 out)?

I have tried to purchase a 4x16 - but the company I am dealing with is... uh, not as reputable as I would like (I just checked it out with the BBB and it has an 'F' for an evaluation ).

Thanks for any advice!
No you cannot cascade multiswitches in the manner you describe. But there is a simple emthod and it's far cheaper to do it this way than a 4X16 unit. You need 2 multiswitches, and 4 two way, one port power passing high frequency splitters as per the picture below. (They don't have to be Eagle Aspen.)

I'd pull all 4 feeds from your Quad LNB inside the house, and mount all the devices on a piece of plywood. Then feed the output of the Multiswitches to any 16 Tuners / Recievers; or 8 PVR types.

The picture shows 5X8 multiswitches (the 5th input is for a regular antenna or RF input like High Speed Cable you want to multiplex onto the same cable system. You also don't need the Diplexer shown on the output of the left multiswitch before thr reciever => it's used to peel off the multiplexed signal connected on the 5th input on the 5X8 multiswitch).

But the rest of the wiring is the same for 4X8 multiswitches. Just make sure the "legs" are the same going into each multiswitch from each high frequency splitter (the 13V, 18V, 13V with 22KHz, and 18 with 22KHz). All Multiswitches are labled so it's pretty simple.

I hope this is helpful.
Old 2011-09-29, 11:05 AM   #159
The Real Batman

Thumbs up

BRILLIANT!

Thanks for the best reply I've ever received in a forum question! Anywhere!

I have already run all wires into the utility room to be mounted on plywood near my electrical panel, so this installation should look very good!

Thanks again for the advice!

(If you have an outlet that you trust (especially if it's in Calgary), I would appreciate a PM. )
Old 2011-09-29, 08:15 PM   #160
Terry3D

Default Multiswitch with Stacked LNBs

Does anyone have any experience with using a multiswitch with a stacked 75 dish with satellite A + B in and a 4 lines out starchoice switch. Can I run the 4 lines out into an Eagle Aspen DTV 4x8 Multiswitch and have it work or will I have to change to a Quad 4 LNB?
Old 2011-09-29, 09:24 PM   #161
jbracing24
Veteran

S/B Quad

But Shaw will supply a service call and free replacement if you ask.
Old 2011-10-01, 11:33 AM   #162
classicsat
Veteran

You should be able to run the dish leads (or two from the 2x4 tone switch) into the 13V inputs on the 4x8 switch.

You might want to take Shaw up on an LNBF upgrade though, to work on the new satellite.
Old 2011-10-01, 02:10 PM   #163
Jimsathome

Cool A little help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real Batman View Post
BRILLIANT!

Thanks for the best reply I've ever received in a forum question! Anywhere!

I have already run all wires into the utility room to be mounted on plywood near my electrical panel, so this installation should look very good!

Thanks again for the advice!

(If you have an outlet that you trust (especially if it's in Calgary), I would appreciate a PM. )
Batman,

I'm a West Coaster so I typically buy bits and pieces here, or off the web and ship them to a mail drop just south of the Border. The US vendors have great prices from time to time. I snooped a bit for you around Calgary and found Calgary Satelitte

"CalgarySatellite.ca offers walk-in sales at 215 4th Street NE, Calgary, AB. See our entire product line-up and order online at www.CanadaSatellite.ca"

They offer a BGI 2 Way High Frequency Splitter 5-3000MHz (S3HD-2; 4 Pack) for $28 so I don't think it would be worthwhile using the Web.

If you need another multiswitch the best deal locally I found was at Princess Auto (don't laugh they have a great return policy). I bought a Philips SDW5058 Satellite Multiswitch for the Cabin (> $36) and it works flawlessly. (It's a 5X8 but you don't need to use the 5th input. => On the left in the Photo. I disconnected it later in the install.)

Old 2011-10-01, 10:01 PM   #164
skifan

JimsatHome..... You can always tell a guy who has an Electrician background by the way he marks his coax feeds with 3 phase tape markings.

I do the same thing
Old 2011-10-02, 03:19 AM   #165
Jimsathome

Cool a long time ago...;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skifan View Post
JimsatHome..... You can always tell a guy who has an Electrician background by the way he marks his coax feeds with 3 phase tape markings.

I do the same thing
Yes you caught me. I got a certificate of apprenticeship a long time ago...