CBC HNIC Schedule - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Entertainment > What's On In Sports?

Old 2010-11-21, 02:45 AM   #61
mrvanwinkles
Veteran

Not sure if it's broadcast in 5.1 ...

But anyway ...I wanted to mention ... the late night re-play of the game ... it was all action and few breaks. They played the whole game in about an hour. From about 1:30 AM to 2:30 AM Eastern Time.

All intermissions and breaks in play were left out on the re-broadcast.
Nice editing CBC ... all action ... with the bulk of the game itself intact.

I think CBC will also re-play the Chicago at Vancouver game after / now.
Now *THAT* is a good way to watch hockey.

The Toronto at Montreal game was great tonight. Very entertaining.

Thanks CBC - nice editing on the re-play of the game.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2010-11-21, 03:13 AM   #62
NB Josh
Veteran

CBC always re-airs 1 hour versions of the main 7pm game and the 10pm game every Saturday night from 1:30-3:30am ET. They have did this since before the lockout.
Old 2010-11-22, 11:27 PM   #63
mrvanwinkles
Veteran

Awesome. Maybe that's the thing to do then. Watch that version later on ... or record it, and watch it the next day. But probably most people like to watch their hockey *LIVE* - with their BUDS - and some BUDs ... oops maybe some Canadian beers too.
Old 2010-11-23, 09:45 AM   #64
Doug30

Sure sounds 5.1 to me(and I'm on Cogeco) when I compare it to the NHL Network HD which only broadcasts HNIC in 2.0
Old 2010-11-23, 08:08 PM   #65
hwy19man

This Saturday's HNIC games for Nov. 27.

Toronto at Ottawa for all of Canada except the province of Quebec.

Buffalo at Montreal for the province of Quebec only.

San Jose at Edmonton is the second game.
Old 2010-11-29, 07:15 PM   #66
hwy19man

This Saturday's HNIC games for Dec. 3 and it is a tripleheader.

San Jose at Montreal is the first game.

The split telecasts for the second games are:

Boston at Toronto for all of Canada except the Ottawa Valley,
Buffalo at Ottawa for the Ottawa Valley only.

St. Louis at Edmonton is the third game.
Old 2010-11-29, 07:20 PM   #67
reidw
Veteran

What time is the first game?
Old 2010-11-29, 07:33 PM   #68
alebowgm
Veteran

The Montreal game is @ 2pm. They will then come with the pregame around 6:30-7...
Old 2010-11-29, 08:43 PM   #69
reidw
Veteran

Pretty annoying. The best and currently most entertaining Canadian team is forced to play a game at 2:00 in the afternoon when many fans are busy doing other things usually away from home. Meanwhile the worst team is given Prime Time and almost all of the country all to themselves while a western loser closes out the evening. Hardly an appetising schedule. Why doesn't the CBC demand that start times be arranged more logically based on audience appeal?
Old 2010-11-29, 08:47 PM   #70
alebowgm
Veteran

First off all start times are set before the season begins, so CBC nor the NHL know for sure who is going to be a dog and won't be. Should they implement flex scheduling ala how the NFL does? Perhaps, but thats a topic for a different thread.

Also, your argument about games being arranged based on audience appeal is actually what they are doing. Like it or not, but the highest ratings on Saturday nights come from the Toronto area. It's why the Leafs play the maximum alloted games that the CBC are allowed too request. Does it suck if you aren't a Leafs fan? For sure, especially when the team sucks (which I more-so believe is what your argument is, that the best teams should be playing on Saturday at 7pm) but for the CBC the Leafs arewhere the money is...
Old 2010-11-30, 10:23 AM   #71
roger1818
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by alebowgm View Post
Also, your argument about games being arranged based on audience appeal is actually what they are doing. Like it or not, but the highest ratings on Saturday nights come from the Toronto area.
Don't confuse audience appeal with ratings. Someone else here said that weekly ratings are only done in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver. Toronto viewership is obvious. Most Montrealers will watch the game on RDS regardless what CBC shows and most Vancouverites won't watch the "prime time" (afternoon for them) game so the ratings of HNIC Prime Time for the country is basically an extrapolation of what Toronto viewers watch.

Now the CBC doesn't care how many people actually watch the game but only what the ratings are, as that is what determines their advertising revenue.
Old 2010-11-30, 04:42 PM   #72
NB Josh
Veteran

BBM only does regional ratings for Toronto, Vancouver and Calgary (as well as Montreal, but only for French programs). The national ratings take into account all of Canada.
Old 2010-12-01, 09:47 AM   #73
roger1818
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC

Thanks for the correction NB Josh. I guess I misunderstood your original post.
Old 2010-12-02, 11:16 PM   #74
leaffan1967

http://www.cbc.radio-canada.ca/mobile/nosmobiles.html

According to CBC's Mobile Division website, they have launched a 3rd HD truck, called Evolution. I would assume that this truck was the one they used for Quebec University Football this season, but now that that is done, hopefully it will be regional Habs and/or Sens games that make use of this truck now.
Old 2010-12-03, 07:51 PM   #75
hwy19man

reidw posted
Quote:
Pretty annoying. The best and currently most entertaining Canadian team is forced to play a game at 2:00 in the afternoon when many fans are busy doing other things usually away from home. Meanwhile the worst team is given Prime Time and almost all of the country all to themselves while a western loser closes out the evening. Hardly an appetising schedule. Why doesn't the CBC demand that start times be arranged more logically based on audience appeal?
I agree with you and the Senators have also had games on at that time in the past. The problem is out west where those games commence at 1100h Pacific and 1200h Mountain. The best idea to promote these tripleheaders would be have them be continuous starting at 1300h Pacific, 1600h Eastern.

If the CBC likes doing these odd Saturday afternoon games then the western canadian teams should also be on. The Flames played last week on Saturday vs. the Penguins and was unfortunately on Sportsnet West. The same thing will happen to the Canucks later this season.

Split-telecasts would also help during the western prime time game.