Shaw Direct HDPVR 630 Owners Discussion thread for owners ONLY! - Page 96 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Direct (formerly Star Choice)

Old 2012-02-15, 05:39 PM   #1426
ddayson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryBob View Post
Have you tried a receiver reset?
I have done a front panel reset. Is there a different way to do a reset?
ddayson is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-02-15, 05:54 PM   #1427
rgto

Location: Ottawa, ON; Shaw Direct HDPVR630/DSR505; Samsung HLT5687; Harmon/Kardon AVR247; Harmon/Kardon HKTS11

You can try a factory reset. Options 4-9-8-8-6

You will also need to get a refresh "hit" on your receiver after the factory reset either via Self-Serve page in the website or using automated refresh feature over the phone. This will refresh your receiver with the correct channel map.
rgto is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-02-16, 01:28 AM   #1428
ddayson

Did the factory reset - problem remained. Phoned customer support and the guy said to do a factory reset. I explained that I did that already and it didn't fix anything. He didn't seem too concerned and told me to do it again anyway and to phone back if it didn't work. Surprise surprise, it didn't work. Phoned back and now have a replacement receiver on the way. I had only had my receiver for 4 months approx. and now it already needs replacing. I can't say that I'm very confident the replacement will last much longer.

Last edited by 57; 2012-02-16 at 01:56 AM. Reason: Unnecessary Quote Removed
Old 2012-02-16, 09:21 PM   #1429
cyberham

Default Good Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberham View Post
...A new box is en route to me. At least the receiver is working correctly now and no resets. Just have to live without PVR (and WITH commericials!) for 5 to 7 days. Under 1-year manufacturer's warranty: no charge.
Received and installed replacement box 3 days following. New box works fine. Pretty good service response for this problem.
Old 2012-02-17, 07:56 PM   #1430
cwspen
Rookie

I'm having the same HDPVR 630 problem as "ddayson" and have had the same problem for the last week or so.

Here's a screenshot.

None of the shows that "look" OK will play, I get a black screen with the status bar at the bottom and it just stays at 0:00.

The shows that show no date or time and a false (and too long) duration only provide a "Delete" option.

They will delete, but this doesn't change the space available on the hard drive.

I've tried front-panel resets, but haven't tried a "factory" reset yet for two reasons. 1) It doesn't seem to fix the problem, and 2) I'd rather not lose these recordings if there is another option.

Before calling SD CS, does anyone have any other ideas?

Last edited by cwspen; 2012-02-17 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Added image
cwspen is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-02-18, 07:57 AM   #1431
ddayson

Cwspen - That is exactly the same thing that was happening to me. I get home tonight and my receiver is telling me there is a message. It says that my hard drive is full of protected recordings and they need to be deleted before new shows can record. I had a total of 14% of my hard drive used for protected shows. Then when I go in to my PVR list it says my list is empty! So all of my saved shows apparently deleted themselves. What a lousy machine! I have a replacement receiver on the way, so I knew I was going to lose these shows anyway, but I don't like that they deleted themselves.

As for doing a factory reset, there is an option to preserve your saved recordings, but after 2 factory resets I can tell you that it won't fix the problem. Your only option likely is to phone customer support and after they tell you a few pointless suggestions (factory reset) they'll hopefully send you a replacement.

It is bad enough with the whole lack of HD currently available and now with these very expensive receivers not being at all reliable, it really makes me wonder if it is worth staying with Shaw Direct...
Old 2012-02-18, 08:33 AM   #1432
cyberham

I suspect the problems being experienced by ddayson and cwspen are due to a corrupted hard disc and can only be resolved by a disc reformat done by a full factory reset without preserving recorded shows on hard disc. I got that same error message and it simply indicates that the box cannot access the hard disc for some reason. I also had less than 20% disc full of shows.

I'll bet if you were a computer geek or wanted to suffer the expense of taking the disc to a computer service shop, you could remove the hard disc from the box and maybe use troubleshooting techniques to fix the corruption on the disc without losing the content.

Everyone should treat this disc storage feature like any PC storage: temporary. If you really want to keep something permanently, you need to work out a system of either simultaneously recording to another location in parallel (easier way?) as backup protection, or figure out some way to offload recorded programs (harder way?).
Old 2012-02-18, 10:00 AM   #1433
ddayson

Let me just clarfiy, I wasn't planning on keeping the recordings permanently. The 14% were shows that I was saving for a later time to watch or re-watch again.

As for factory resetting and not preserving any recordings - customer service was well aware of my problem. I explained it very clearly to them and they said to make sure you preserve your recordings. When I called them back to tell them it didn't work, wouldn't they have then suggested a factory reset without preserving the records before just deciding to send me a replacement unit? They lose money on that.

Last edited by 57; 2012-02-18 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Unnecessary Quote Removed
Old 2012-02-18, 10:48 AM   #1434
cyberham

You're like me. I only keep programs long enough to watch them one time. I lost a list of shows I hadn't yet had time to watch and it pissed me off. But my doing a factory reset without preserving the files (presumably a disc format) never resolved my problem anyway. The replacement box resolved all trouble and it never cost me anything except the lost shows I hadn't watched.
Old 2012-02-21, 08:15 PM   #1435
jack daniel
Rookie

Default 630 HDPVR newbie question

I have finished the install.

My question regards setting a recurring recording.
I want to record 6pm CTV news on ch 302 only
and only M-F .
When I set it for recurring,it grabs all airings of CTV News.

Any suggestions ?

Last edited by 57; 2012-02-21 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Moved to existing thread
jack daniel is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-02-21, 10:02 PM   #1436
QCK

Go in the guide to tomorrow's 6pm news on 302, press the Enter/OK button, cursor down one to "Smart record new episodes", press the Enter/OK button and you will be set.

Last edited by 57; 2012-02-21 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Unnecessary Quote Removed
QCK is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-02-23, 03:12 AM   #1437
ddayson

I can't believe it. My replacement receiver arrived today. It took over an hour of talking to customer service before they could finally properly activate the stupid thing. So, thinking everything was good, I went ahead and started setting my programs to record. Guess what? This receiver is doing almost the exact same thing as my old one! It won't record a show despite it showing in the guide and the upcoming PVR section as recording. And on the off chance that it does record a show, it won't let me watch it. What are the odds that both receivers are going to do this to me? Is it possible that it could be something else causing this? I'm at a loss and I really do not want to deal with customer service again. And if anyone is wondering, yes, I am sure I didn't hook the old receiver back up by mistake.
Old 2012-02-23, 09:39 AM   #1438
cyberham

After activation, did you wait (at least 30 minutes) to allow the full guide data to download? If you're not sure, delete all programming and then re-enter now that full guide has downloaded.

If it took over an hour to activate, either something wrong with the tech support guy or something else wrong in your system. Activation only takes 5 minutes. I would be suspicious of any activation that took that long.
Old 2012-02-23, 09:08 PM   #1439
ribo_man
Rookie

I am not sure if my problem is the TV or the receiver.

The picture is fuzzy for about 20-30 mins. Somebody told me to replace the HDMI cable which I did and I still have the same problem.

The reason I think it meet be the receiver is sometimes when I turn on the TV I get a black screen. If I re-boot the receiver I get the picture back (fuzzy of course)

Has anyone else had this problem before or have any idea if it is the TV or the receiver. The TV is only 5 yrs old.

Thank you in advance
ribo_man is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-02-27, 04:30 PM   #1440
ABM 111

Default Dvr 630

Hi Everybody

I had my pvr sitting for a couple of months but today i tried it and it does not work anymore.
i tried holding the power button down to reset it and i tried leaving it unplugged for awhile with no results
it gets hot when its plugged in but it does not work
Any Help would be greatly apreciated as i paid $500 for it
it has a dent in the side from a long long time ago so im not sure if shaw direct will fix or replace it or not?

Thanks So much
Austin
ABM 111 is offline   Quick reply to this message

Tags
failure, favourites, hard drive, hdpvr630, reboot, shaw direct
Gear in this thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.