Shaw Direct HDPVR 630 Owners Discussion thread for owners ONLY! - Page 100 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Direct (formerly Star Choice)

Old 2012-03-12, 10:40 PM   #1486
smsat

I have no experience with the 530 but I don't remember this problem on my Bell 9200. With the poor guide info for BNN, manual timers seem to be the only way to avoid 700 recordings of the same program. It does not seem unreasonable that a timer set for 7pm should still work after a time change. I really don't think this is a very good piece of hardware.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-03-12, 11:08 PM   #1487
mellaby

smsat, I have many smart recordings that worked ok and 1 manual one that I set for each day at 6pm chan 317 and it worked sunday night just fine. Maybe this is a issue with your 630. Is this manual setting a issue with a lot of subs?
Old 2012-03-13, 11:04 AM   #1488
Blackloz

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsat View Post
I have several manual timers setup for BNN programs -- they are ALL off by an hour now after the change to Daylight savings time. It is amazing that SD cannot produce a machine capable of such a simple change.
Manual timers will not change over when DST happens because the timer is recording by date & time not by name of event, so it will record at that specific date and time no matter what show is being shown, where as the smart record feature should record by name and not date & time, so yes you will have to change all manual timers twice a year.
Old 2012-03-21, 08:00 AM   #1489
ddayson

Well, finally had the same installer as last time show up at my house yesterday. 6 hours late, by the way. He installed a brand new dish for me, one of those xku ones. Of course, that did not fix the problem at all. I am attaching below the email I just wrote back to Technical Escalation.

----

So the installer finally showed up at about 3:30pm. The problem still is not fixed! He installed a brand new dish as he said there was damage to the other dish. This increased the signal strength and Ecb numbers but now the Ecb numbers are hovering around 6.9 which isn't any better than the old dish. So I still have a problem of only being able to record on one tuner. I cannot record two shows at the same time. When I mentioned this to the installer he looked at me said "the 630 isn't able to record two shows at once" When I told him that surely to God he knows how these receivers work he responded with "you must have a magic receiver". He has said he does not want to touch the wiring because he doesn't know how to get the cable to the outside of the house. Clearly this whole issue is to do with a faulty cable somewhere?? Why else would the other tuner not record? So after installing the dish, factory resetting the receiver (which he didn't know how to do - I had to tell him), and waiting about half an hour for the programming to resume, he then left and said I would have to test the issue on my own and wait about 4 hours for the guide to load. He also told me to call him if things didn't work. I have not called him and I do not want this guy working on this problem again. He doesn't understand the issue and he doesn't understand what he is even doing. He doesn't know the product he is working with. He even tried telling me that with the new dish installed I will be receiving all sorts of new channels and that in the fall time Shaw is eliminating all of their standard definition television. I mean come on already. I need this issue fixed. But I do not want this Dwight guy from Dauphin coming back.
Old 2012-03-21, 08:27 AM   #1490
cyberham

This is fascinating! Don't let that fellow near your home again. He is not qualified and is doing a disservice to SD by being used by them. From what you have reported, it seems logical that having replaced the dish and receiver, all that's left is the cabling. And I'll bet that's the issue since the cabling sounds awkward to get at, so the installer hasn't studied it. Maybe the cabling was damaged during original installation due to its awkward access?

Keep us informed. This story goes great with my morning cereal. Better than a TV soap opera.

Added: And the 630 can record two shows at once and still allow you to watch another show already on your PVR. It is a versatile machine. Downloading the guide takes less than 30 minutes.
Old 2012-03-21, 07:11 PM   #1491
TheHans

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddayson View Post
Well, finally had the same installer as last time show up at my house yesterday. 6 hours late, by the way. He installed a brand new dish for me, one of those xku ones. Of course, that did not fix the problem at all.
This is so unfortunate. The sad part is, this installer will still be sent out all the time to people in your area. Even after the problems I had with the installer in my area who literally cost Shaw Direct money by saying my installation was OK when it wasn't, thus putting Shaw Direct in a position where they had to replace receivers that probably were fine, he *still* gets sent out.

Shaw Direct can *manually* choose people to come out to you. I know this from experience. Keep pushing until you get someone else.
Old 2012-03-22, 12:16 AM   #1492
ddayson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHans View Post
Shaw Direct can *manually* choose people to come out to you. I know this from experience. Keep pushing until you get someone else.
The worst part is that there is a local guy here who does all the installations for the electronic store here that sells both Bell and Shaw dishes. He is very good and I am sure he would be able to fix this issue, but Shaw keeps sending the guy who lives 2 hours away from here. At this point, I am tired of dealing with Shaw and am thinking of just calling the local guy and having him come and try to fix things. It will cost me money, but really I would happily pay what ever the cost is and just have things fixed finally. I've been dealing with this since the first week of February!
Old 2012-03-22, 12:21 AM   #1493
ddayson

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberham View Post
From what you have reported, it seems logical that having replaced the dish and receiver, all that's left is the cabling. And I'll bet that's the issue since the cabling sounds awkward to get at, so the installer hasn't studied it.
I don't think the cable is even that hard to get at. It runs behind the wall and is easily accessible by removing the ceiling tile (tv is in the basement). The local guy I mentioned in my previous message had drilled a hole to the outside of the house, so I don't understand what this installer guy is so worried about. Remove the old cable and run a new one.

And now today I checked my pvr and NONE of my shows recorded. At least before I could record one show at a time. Now nothing recorded properly and all show 900 hour recordings. So frustrated!
Old 2012-03-26, 02:26 PM   #1494
cyberham

I'd say for sure you've got a poltergeist in your place. Only explanation!
Old 2012-03-26, 07:09 PM   #1495
QC22
Rookie

Hi,
first sorry for any writing error, isn't my language. I bought a HDPVR 630 for replacing my missworking 530. On the 530 a got 96% and 11,xx db for signal 1 and 93% and 8,4 db for signal 2. On the new 630 absolutely nothing. My question is simply why? Thanks for any response, this is a great forum.
Old 2012-03-26, 07:18 PM   #1496
cyberham

Have you activated your new HDDVR630 by calling Shaw Direct?
Old 2012-03-26, 07:24 PM   #1497
QC22
Rookie

Yes and pass 1 hour with the technical guys who find nothing, just says its probably my cable. Change cable and no more signal.
Old 2012-03-26, 07:26 PM   #1498
cyberham

That's a logical conclusion by the support tech. Did you arrange with them for an appointment for their installer to come check your system?
Old 2012-03-26, 07:31 PM   #1499
QC22
Rookie

This is for the camp, about 3 hours from here. So no he will not come. This is the reason I post on this forum.
Old 2012-03-26, 07:39 PM   #1500
gzink

Perhaps they activated on the wrong lnb code. Xku instead of old lnb??
I would not accept a cable problem until I was sure of activation code and the 'new' 630.
Check the 630 in town first on any similar lnb and dish.

Tags
failure, favourites, hard drive, hdpvr630, reboot, shaw direct