Shaw Direct HDPVR 630 Owners Discussion thread for owners ONLY! - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Direct (formerly Star Choice)

Old 2010-08-24, 05:12 PM   #1
hugh
Member #1

Default Shaw Direct HDPVR 630 Owners Discussion thread for owners ONLY!

This discussion thread is for owners to discuss the new Shaw Direct HDPVR 630 when it becomes available on September 1st.

Please post your thoughts and your feedback on this unit once you have it up and running.

Any posts discussing when it will be available or posts from NON-owners will be deleted and the poster will receive an infraction.

For non-owners, you can ask questions about the unit in our New 630 In Pre Order

Edit by 57: Here's a thread summarizing problems, issues, resolutions, workarounds:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=129411
hugh is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2010-08-24, 05:41 PM   #2
hugh
Member #1

Owners, please post your review of the new HDPVR giving us your thoughts on what you like, what you dislike and any bugs you may have encountered.

Please avoid any discussion of the sales process, the marketing of the product etc and stick to discussing the hardware.

Thanks in advance.
hugh is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-08-26, 10:34 AM   #3
Ouser

JUST- received the new 630- came by purolator! Will be plugging it in and activating shortly- I will post comments as I go!

Edit- First impressions- the box is small! and light. I like the finish and styling. On a down side the power brick is external, as many of us thought it would be- hence the small footprint I guess. In the box, all the usual cables and an HDMI. The remote has a redesign- nice feel with a rubberised non-slip back- nice touch- even though I use a harmony.

Activation here we go- let's see how long it takes!

edit- phone number in the install manual is incorrect ! the recorded message tells you to dial another number which is also incorrect!

I called the website number and got the callback option

edit- am now on hold- csr says it is first 630 activation-- has to look it up. are you confident?

20 mins later... activated easily. HDMI seems to be working through my Yamaha receiver okay- time will tell. Factory firmware is 00.10, CSR said it will upgrade to 00.13 tonight.

Im happy so far, although in my conversation he said that he knew nothing about the 'free-rental' deal some of you are getting, or the option the return the 530. He even spoke with a supervisor who said 299 is the best deal. For 'loyal' customers. Hmmmm.

Still I did talk him into 8 ppv. Whoopee (sarcasm).

Im keeping my 530 for a while, the I will pass it on to my father-in-law. Brownie points there are worth more than $$$! If this works out I may consider changing the 530 at the cottage.

Have fun folks- I will return with more info as it becomes pertinent.

Dan
Old 2010-08-26, 11:59 AM   #4
Gogie

This is too funny. I read Ouser's post and thought it odd that they were actually shipping before Sept (and was wondering if Ouser was for real or pulling our legs). Not a minute after reading his post my doorbell rang. Standing on my doorstep was a Purolator guy with my new 630 and multi-switch! Guess I should never have doubted Ouser!

Now I have to call and arrange for an install. Even though I already have a 530 I apparently need an install. Part of my "deal" included a free 4x8 multiswitch (which I don't currently have) so I guess I need to get that installed and might as well get my wires cleaned up at the same time.

Edit: Called and arranged for install tomorrow.
Gogie is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-08-26, 12:57 PM   #5
Ouser

oh yea of little faith! I am for real. Honest.
Old 2010-08-26, 01:58 PM   #6
Ouser

Default guide is screwy- Bug no.1

maybe im doing something wrong...but...I doubt that

I did a search in the guide...loving that feature...but now the guide is all screwy, the numbers are all out of whack. Maybe that will be fixed with 00.13 tonight- hope so!

My wife loves the fact that the non-subscribed channels are greyed out! If only on the 505.
Old 2010-08-26, 02:28 PM   #7
GaryE
Veteran

Set up my remote control... noticed the TV button wouldn't light up but the other 2 buttons do. The TV button does work but just won't light up. Is it just mine? It's a miner problem. Thought I had a bum remote but it works.
Old 2010-08-26, 02:52 PM   #8
smp01

Got mine about 1 hour ago (Ontario)

It works.
Guide is loading in stages. non-subscribed channels are gray. You can hide them, which I did, and there gone - easy as pie. There was actually a channel I get that I thought was not part of package. Interface is familiar. There is no program info yet other than show name. I do see some shows 10 days plus out, but still lots of blank spots. Guide also shows length of shows not tied to 30min blocks. You can tell if it ends 5mis before the hour.

1st CR could not activate, passed me to level2 who was able to activate, then transferred to Cust Realtions to get my account sorted out which looks like it was. All 3 reps are surprised the 630 is in people homes already.

It's small, and light. Uses a 2.5" HD. Uses a laptop style power supply. At least there is a chord between power brick and wall outlet. I asked about the other ports. The level2 rep said that external HD is definitely on the way. So I asked about extHD for 605, and she had no idea. She was not sure what ethernet will be used for just yet.

cables include, A/V rca, component, and telephone extension. No HDMI for me. (edit - yes there is HDMI) Remote is RF and there is an RF antenna. I use Harmony, I haven't even unpacked the remote yet. I was told I do not need to return old remote or cables.

ff and rew seem smoother, 4 levels of each, skip-fwd/back seem snappier.

I wonder what the new firmware will do.

I have noticed more guide data as I been writing this.

More to come.
smp01 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-08-26, 03:06 PM   #9
markcf105
Rookie

Default 630 call display not working

Okay here is the first issue I am having with the 630 (the same as I did with the 530) call display is not working. it is enabled under options 4, 1 (the new setting for the 630)... Is any one else having this problem?

Thanks

Mark
markcf105 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-08-26, 03:59 PM   #10
smp01

Same thing here. I did this. Disable CallerID, save and exit, go back in, Enable callerID. save and exit. Works fine now.

Last edited by 57; 2010-08-26 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Unnecessary Quote removed.
smp01 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-08-26, 04:05 PM   #11
kevsim

Got mine, love the new footprint, won't be able to get it activated till after work, I hope the remote has a larger range, my unti goes downstairs then picture gets shot upstarits, and the old 530 remote barely reached.
kevsim is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-08-26, 05:32 PM   #12
Ouser

Default Bug #2 ?

Isnt the recording option supposed to give you the option to record in HD, DS, just new etc...

I only see - record this episode, all new-, all.

Maybe this and the other will be in 00.13- the CSR said 00.10 was the factory setting- I remember that with the 530 a few years back!
Old 2010-08-26, 05:47 PM   #13
LONSat

Ouser re guide all screwy. Do you have the advanced channel lineup with channels starting at 002 for Vancouver stations versus the classic guide where the channels start at 300 for the CBC channels etc. I suspect you are seeing the advanced lineup which I kind of prefer now anyways.
LONSat is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-08-26, 05:52 PM   #14
zebb2000

Received mine today. Gonna set it up tomorrow and will check previous posts for any recommendations.
zebb2000 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-08-26, 06:05 PM   #15
LambeauLeap85
Rookie

Hey guys, new to this site but I did rent the 630 and will be renting it forever most likely.

I haven't got it activated yet, because I never had an HD PVR before so I have to pay the $100 installation of the new line to my 630. I may actually just install it myself and then call them back to cancel the install.

Seems like a sleek receiver, and I cannot wait for NFL ST !

I will post more after I get it activated tonight or tomorrow when the tech guy comes.
LambeauLeap85 is offline   Quick reply to this message

Tags
failure, favourites, hard drive, hdpvr630, reboot, shaw direct
Gear in this thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.