Motorola DCX3400 owners' thread - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Communications > Shaw Cable HD tuner and HD PVR Discussion

Old 2010-07-09, 09:25 PM   #1
bowmah

Default Motorola DCX3400 owners' thread

Thought I would start a resource thread the Motorola DCX3400 PVR from Shaw. So far, the unit runs very cool as compared to the Pace Aspen. The top of the home theater cabinet is no longer warm when the unit is on or off. With the Aspen, it was warm 24 hours a day even with the unit "off". Also, channel changing is much speedier than previous PVR's from Shaw.

The Shaw channel menu does not stretch all the way to the sides, looks like it's SD only?

What other quirks and things do owners need to know about this unit?

Last edited by downbeat; 2011-09-13 at 01:58 AM. Reason: Made a sticky thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2010-07-09, 10:59 PM   #2
adiabatic

1) Firewire connection to a PC seems to be established if you add some obvious lines to the INF file (the usual STB driver pack that we all use) search for DCT-3416 and copy/paste matching lines with "DCX-34xx"... not DCX-3400). I had to reboot a few times then Windows did an online driver update for some reason and the box showed up in Device Manager.

Now the catch: during playback/capture the box plays the video fast and the captures are corrupted.

I have some troubleshooting to do regarding what drivers Windows downloaded but this capture problem is consistent with what I read on other forums.

2) I haven't been able to reproduce the warning message that you get on a 3416 for repeatedly pressing SKIP too fast.
Old 2010-07-10, 09:08 PM   #3
bowmah

Are you saying you are having issues with the firewire connection after you hacked it? I was told by Shaw that only the eSata port is active. Firewire and USB are not turned on at the moment.
Old 2010-07-11, 04:42 PM   #4
adiabatic

The firewire port is active. Windows exchanges data with the box to know and receives the device ID string to recognize: "Motorola DCX-34xx" and the usual three IEEE-1394 interfaces (two recognized and one unrecognized). After driver installation, I can copy data from the box to a PC but that data is corrupted.
Old 2010-07-11, 08:48 PM   #5
bowmah

I guess active and supported are 2 different things? Guess Maybe someone in the know can let us know if the firewire is enabled and functioning properly.

Are you using the firewire to network yor PC and PVR or just using it to download / capture video being played on the PVR?
Old 2010-07-12, 06:29 PM   #6
halsafar
Rookie

Firewire is enabled but Windows 7x64 is unable to find the drivers. I tried to find drivers for this device and failed. Can someone point me in the right direction. This is the first time I have bothered to tinker with my cable box. I just got the DCX3400 and it inspired me. I am a comp sci major / software engineer.
Old 2010-07-12, 07:10 PM   #7
adiabatic

There are no 64-bit drivers but if you re-wrote the existing ones you'd be a hero to the community. Otherwise your option is to dual-boot. My HTPC is remaining 32-bit mostly for the cable box.

My programming begins and ends with database solutions so I'm useless here. If you feel like taking a stab at it, 32-bit drivers are here (you have to make the INF file changes I indicated above to get the 3400 to install):

http://home.comcast.net/~exdeus/stbfirewire/
Old 2010-07-13, 01:22 AM   #8
bowmah

So after some heavy usage, I am noticing a few dropouts where the TV would show the resolution as if you just provided a signal to it. This is happening during TV programs (ie. not during in between programs). DCX3400 is connected directly to the A/V Receiver. Never had this happen with the other 2 PVR's I have had. Even using the old HDMI cable from the previous PVR. Any ideas?
Old 2010-07-16, 10:28 AM   #9
kklee
Rookie

I've been using mine for a couple of weeks now and noticed that the video will randomly blank out like as if the TV was re-syncing the HDMI signal. The DCX3400 was a direct swap in for an old Motorola PVR, ie, all the same cables (which worked fine). If I press skip back, the video replays without the dropout, so it's not a signal loss issue. The audio does not disappear when the video blanks out.

Not a major problem, just a little irritating.
Old 2010-07-16, 12:28 PM   #10
sonyxbr

Default little irritating

Speaking of a little irritating my 3400 will only work with the remote if I use the IR receiver with tether cord, is it just me or are there others that have to use it?
Old 2010-07-16, 12:41 PM   #11
adiabatic

No problems with the IR reception here. In fact I have to be careful to cover the front of the box well when controlling my 3416 (it's still in the living room as I watch/delete the older PVR content).

I've noticed no more or less dropouts than with the 3416 and those are infrequent for me over the last 6 months.
Old 2010-07-16, 02:31 PM   #12
csewell

Quote:
Originally Posted by kklee View Post
I've been using mine for a couple of weeks now and noticed that the video will randomly blank out like as if the TV was re-syncing the HDMI signal. The DCX3400 was a direct swap in for an old Motorola PVR, ie, all the same cables (which worked fine). If I press skip back, the video replays without the dropout, so it's not a signal loss issue. The audio does not disappear when the video blanks out.

Not a major problem, just a little irritating.
Yes, this 'blanking' is happening to me too.
Old 2010-07-17, 02:27 AM   #13
bowmah

Blanking happening here too.
Old 2010-07-18, 01:08 PM   #14
guzman

Default Channel selection question

OK, maybe a stupid question, but how do I set my box to automatically go to for example channel 44 by pressing 4-4 rather than 0-4-4....or to channel 2 by pressing 2 rather than 0-0-2. My 6416 would do that, and I thought there was something in the setup menu in the guide but I can't find it

thanks

Forget it....found it.....it is auto tune
Old 2010-07-20, 03:10 AM   #15
bowmah

ok, just noticed a black out happening in recorded shows so not only is it happening during live viewing, it is also happening within a recording. First I thought this might be a buffer issue but maybe not? Does anyone have a fix for this?