New Shaw Modem / Router? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Communications > Shaw High Speed Internet and Home Phone

Old 2010-07-25, 03:49 PM   #16
shawsean

I run both the WRT54GL and the new wireless gateway and to be honest they both work equally as well. Was quite impressed after beta testing it for a few months on my wireless equipment upstairs in my house (wanted it close to my kitchen to see if anything would interfere). I had a few random disconnection issues on my wifes computer but I blamed that more on her wireless card (Antenna has been destroyed). Everything else worked flawlessly (iphone, ps3, macbook) without issues.

The wireless gateway comes pre-configured with wireless security enabled so all you'll have to do is plug it in and configure your wireless networks accordingly. The password is based upon unique identifiers within the device so each one is different.

The new wireless N gateway is aimed more for our customers that aren't as technically inclined and like knowing that we'll be there to support the basic wireless connectivity of the router. These customers usually don't want to deal with multiple support departments if their 3rd party router fails or has problems.

If you're comfortable with your 3rd party router there's really no need switching to the new gateway unless you want to upgrade to a N capable router.

Sean
Shaw Employee - Customer Care for Social Media
shawsean is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2010-07-26, 08:27 PM   #17
PaulB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowmah View Post
Wouldn't a newer true dual band router play nice with G and N clients within the network?
Only if all N devices are on the 5 GHz band. As soon as you mix G & N on 2.4 GHz, the N devices will slow down (and I've read that even the performance of the G devices can be degraded by as much as 50%).
PaulB is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-07-29, 09:26 PM   #18
bowmah

So is there no 1 SUPER STANDOUT wireless router that can get the job done these days? The WRT54GL is a very reliable piece of equipment but it would be nice to have a stable N gateway running these days with all the media streaming going on. What is the best unit to buy that is under $200? Requirement is that it has to be super stable and allow high throughput for small business use.
bowmah is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-07-29, 10:10 PM   #19
loracweb

ASUS RT-N16 4 Port
That would be my choice. More memory, faster cpu, wireless n, gigabit switches, and runs dd-wrt.

Best bang for your buck IMO.
loracweb is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-07-30, 03:52 PM   #20
PaulB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowmah View Post
What is the best unit to buy that is under $200? Requirement is that it has to be super stable and allow high throughput for small business use.
Lots of router reviews and performance charts on SmallNetBuilder.com.
Old 2010-08-03, 12:26 AM   #21
Lee_Roy
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB View Post
A dual band router, or a G router along with a dedicated N access point (or vice versa) is the way to go if you want to support both G and N devices without slowing down the N connections.

BTW, G and N are standards, not bands. The bands are 2.4GHz for B/G/N and 5GHz for A/N.
I know N and G are standards. But it is dual band. I have all N running on 5 GHz and all G running on 2.4 GHz. The router has a single name and will chose the best single for your wifi tech. My PS3 and iPod Touch run on the G 2.4 band and my two MacBooks run on the N 5 band and they are all on the same network.
Lee_Roy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-08-06, 02:58 PM   #22
bowmah

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB View Post
Lots of router reviews and performance charts on SmallNetBuilder.com.
Read the top 10 wireless routers on there and there is no clear winner. Most have quite a few negative user comments. wow.
Old 2010-08-06, 03:03 PM   #23
loracweb

And this surprises you?

Most products will encounter some bad reviews.
Old 2010-08-07, 01:55 AM   #24
bowmah

Quote:
Originally Posted by loracweb View Post
And this surprises you?

Most products will encounter some bad reviews.
Absolutely. But in most categories of any product in the market, there are usually a few winners where they lead the field. In the wireless N router arena, not one stands out at the moment like the WRT54GL did. Still don't know which one I would purchase to replace the aging WRT54GL.
Old 2010-08-07, 03:35 AM   #25
loracweb

That's not true. Their are some wireless N routers that stand out. It really just depends what you're looking for.
Old 2010-08-08, 05:56 PM   #26
bowmah

Quote:
Originally Posted by loracweb View Post
That's not true. Their are some wireless N routers that stand out. It really just depends what you're looking for.
Care to share a link or 2? Priority is speed and ability to handle high throughout with high reliability. Kind of like the WRT54GL but at an N level with gigabit switching.
Old 2010-08-25, 06:04 PM   #27
marko

I have the new router/modem. Just got it yesterday. Shaw is giving it to me at no charge. I also have a belkin wireless n router as well as the previous modem that I had purchased from Shaw a couple of years ago. My question is this: Can I set up the combo unit to be a dedicated n router to communicate with my computers and xbox, and at the same time set up the belkin to be g only to communicate with my android phone and iphone.
Old 2010-08-26, 12:02 PM   #28
PaulB

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
My question is this: Can I set up the combo unit to be a dedicated n router to communicate with my computers and xbox, and at the same time set up the belkin to be g only to communicate with my android phone and iphone.
Yes. On your Belkin router:
- Set a static IP address that is on the same subnet, but outside the range of addresses provided by the DHCP server on the Shaw router.
- Enable "Use as access point" if that option is available, or just disable the DHCP server.
- Set the Wireless Mode to "B/G".
- Give the G wireless network a different SSID than your N network.

Connect the Belkin router (don't use the WAN port) to the Shaw router just like any other network device and you should be in business. Your G devices can connect to the Belkin access point and will be assigned an IP address by the Shaw router.
Old 2011-05-28, 11:36 PM   #29
wassaby

i have an iphone and want key or password for the wireless.
where can that be found?please and thank you
wassaby is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-05-28, 11:57 PM   #30
tux

@wassaby

You need to provide more information in order for this question to be answered. Short answer is, you need to log into your wireless router from your computer, check the wireless settings, it will give you the passphrase, and you enter that passphrase into your iPhone.

Long answer, if you don't know HOW to log into your wireless router, you would either need to consult your router manual for that info, or provide your router brand and model number to obtain the info.
tux is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.