Bell Tracking Receivers - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Bell Canada Enterprises (BCE) > Bell Satellite TV

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2010-06-25, 05:57 PM   #1
speed demon
Rookie

Default Bell Tracking Receivers

How does bell track receivers? I know they use phone lines, but can they also track your receiver if you hook it up to your computer (via ethernet)? Will a proxy server work to hide it? I`m looking at hooking up my 9242 for remote pvr capabilities, but I`d rather bell not no where this receiver is located.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2010-06-25, 08:11 PM   #2
Ex Agent EV
Veteran

Bell tracks you receivers throught the telephone line...if your receiver is not hooked to a telephone line it therefore doesn't dial out. Espacially if you have more than 3 receivers, Bell will put you on a TO CALL list, and they might call you to "verify" your receiver. This simply mean they will ask you to read the location ID of each machine.

To my knowledge Bell TV has no other way of tracking the actual location of the receivers, reason why lots of snowbirds could easilly bring their receivers with them in the USA, even if it's forbidden by Bell TV
Old 2010-06-25, 09:38 PM   #3
Pinza
Veteran

I see no reason Bell cannot trace the IP being used fro Remote PVR.

If you are happy to just have your PVR start a recording from a Computer, or "app" on a smart phone, you do NOT need to connect to the Internet.
Old 2010-06-25, 09:51 PM   #4
despe666

I have no doubt they log the IP of the receivers. And if you're a Sympatico customer, they already have all your info.
Old 2010-06-25, 11:57 PM   #5
markf

Even if they track by IP, as long as you are always connecting to the same ISP, there should be no issue as long as it is near where it is supposed to be. They may be able to track a very general area, but not exactly where the receiver is.

My ISP sometimes shows me in different cities when the IP refreshes. I'm assuming they have servers in different cities nearby, so I just happen to connect to different ones at different times. Under this premise, it is impossible, without going to the ISP and getting them to release the information (not going to happen unless you are with Bell Internet), they won't know your exact location.
Old 2010-06-27, 07:25 PM   #6
joshwild

My 6141 is looked up with a ethernet cable and no phone line. The receiver is showing it dials out every couple days.
Old 2010-06-28, 11:51 AM   #7
speed demon
Rookie

Does it ever connect?
That is some good info on the isp. If i use an ip tracker, it comes up nowhere near my house, so i dont think they can actually track you through your ip. I think for now, im just going to leave it off the internet, but hooked up to the computer
Old 2010-06-28, 09:14 PM   #8
joshwild

I don't really think it matter's anyway if it connects. I have a friend that gave one of his receiver's to a buddy, the buddy order's ppv all the time and no one from Bell has ever questioned the receiver dialing out from a different location. The friend also connect's all of his receiver's to the phone line too. I don't think the phone line is used at all for tracking like people seem to think. I think it's just for smart card information, and ppv ordering.
Old 2010-06-30, 01:23 AM   #9
Ex Agent EV
Veteran

Josh, I could confirm that phone line are used to track receivers...

I used to work for the SAT team, the departement that "verifies" receiver and assures that Bell's cottage policy is followed.

When your receiver is not "dialling out" Bell Express Vu after a X number of failed attempts to get the info from your receiver will put you on a "to call" list.

Since there is lots of suscribers and Bell TV doesn't have a huge budget to have a large team on this that team mainly focus on those that have 3 receivers or more, since they are the ones that are the most likely to have receivers in 2 locations.

Your friend is probably on that "to call" list. Depending on how many agents are at the time working in that departement, depending on how many receivers he has listed in his account, if he vere, or the friend he gave the receiver to, mentionned that receiver where not in the same location, will soon a later get a call to get his receivers "verified". Also, if the friend he gaved the receiver to has his phone line connected, but your friend doesn't Bell doesn't get the info on both locations.
Old 2010-06-30, 09:10 AM   #10
joshwild

So does Bell just use the phone line to confirm the receiver is being connected or do they check the caller id coming in also? The buddy has had the receiver for over 2 years and been connected to the phone line.

If I had 6 receiver's at 6 different locations all hooked up to the phone line and dialing out, would I be ok as the receiver's are sending location id or does Bell check the caller id also? If that is so it would be simple enough to add *67 for the dial out and block the caller id.
Old 2010-06-30, 11:56 AM   #11
Dr.Dave

joshwild, I don't know for sure if Bell track the calling number, but they don't need caller id. The box dials a toll-free number and the company that pays the bill always gets the calling number - you can't block that.
Old 2010-07-01, 01:32 AM   #12
Ex Agent EV
Veteran

Not sure exactly how the information is collected exactly, but if 6 receivers are in 6 different location, which is against Bell service agreement, I woudn't risk hooking it to the telephone line. I would order my PPV events by internet, or by calling Emily instead.

If the SAT team calls, and they are unable to "verify" all receivers the "non verified" units will automatically be deactivated. They can only be reactivated by performing a positive verification. When the client calls to reconnect the deactivated unit he would have to "retest" all unit previously tested AND the unit that client is trying to reconnect. A delay of 24 hours is required before performing a second verification.

There is so many clients that have receivers not dialling out, meanning the "to call list" is really long, an Bell not having a huge budget to put on that, that it's very likely that some people, knowing receivers will work in different location are using them that way for years before Bell catches them with a "verification". I had a lady that told me when I called her to verify her receivers that she had receiver at the cottage AND at home for the last 8 years, and we never bugged her!
Old 2010-07-01, 12:28 PM   #13
joshwild

My uncle got burned when he called Bell TV to inquire about programming, the csr asked about the location of each box. He told them he had one at the cottage and one at home. The csr told him he would have to disable the one at the cottage and reactivate it once he was at the cottage, then turn the other one off. My uncle said if you shut the box off I will cancel my service. The csr said well then we never had this conversation. 2 years later both box's are still working.
Old 2010-07-01, 04:45 PM   #14
MaxHeadroom

Even though all my receivers are in the same house, if Bell ever called me to verify them, I would cancel immediately.
Old 2010-07-01, 04:54 PM   #15
U

It happened to me. They left many messages and at some point said that I would get deactivated if I don't call within 24h. So I called and did the stupid verification but I also requested that a note be put under my account that if they ever ask again I would terminate my service. Seriously this probably took 20 minutes with all the waiting etc., what a PITA.