Rogers 8642 closed captioning quality? (vs other SA boxes) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Rogers Communications > Rogers Cable TV: HD PVR Discussion

Old 2010-06-23, 10:26 AM   #1
Mark Rejhon

Default Rogers 8642 closed captioning quality? (vs other SA boxes)

Hello!

I have moved, and am going to want to get an upgraded box. It took a long time before Rogers finally fixed HDTV captioning on their SA boxes (For those who are not aware -- Settings button, first mini pop up settings, scroll down, enable "Captions" via set top box, as HDTV captions are the settop box responsibility).

I am wondering if the Rogers 8642 has built-in closed captioning, and how high quality the caption text is? Is the caption style more adjustable than the SA8000/8300?

As a deaf guy, this is a necessity to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2010-06-29, 11:06 AM   #2
Mark Rejhon

Nobody who can comment on the captioning capabilities of the new Cisco Rogers PVR box?
Old 2010-06-29, 12:31 PM   #3

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

The 8642 must have CC capability to be sold/rented. As to whether that functionality is any "better" on the 8642 vs the 8300, someone else will have to answer. Not very many people use CC, so you may wish to find a display/demo unit somewhere and check it out for yourself.

I've had the 8300 for almost 6 years and the CC always worked on programming that had CC available (I CC a number of programmes, most recently Treme to catch all the dialogue.)

The flexibility under the user settings (two presses of the settings button) is something that I have not played with - I use the default settings.

I've moved your thread to the appropriate forum.
Old 2010-12-24, 12:44 PM   #4
rharding
Rookie

I just got a Rogers 8642. I'm using it with an HDTV, over an HDMI cable.

It does support captions, but I have found that on most channels, the captions are too far to the left, and the start of each line is chopped off.

Not very satisfactory at all. If there's a way to adjust the position of the captions, I can't find it.

My wife often uses the captions, because English isn't her first language, and sometimes they help her.
Old 2010-12-24, 03:58 PM   #5

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Quote:
the captions are too far to the left
I suspect you might have invoked the zoom/stretch mode on the PVR. Press the # button repeatedly on the remote to get back to "normal". If that's the case, you were missing 33% of your programming. It's possible that your TV is also set to zoom/stretch, although that usually isn't the case. If neither of those works, reboot the PVR.

Here's a post useful for those new to the forum - FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization, etc:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741