ON - Kanata, Barrhaven, Nepean, West of Greenbelt - OTA - Page 12 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television > OTA Reception Results

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2011-01-24, 10:15 AM   #166
malstew
Rookie

Bucketo,
Global (ch6) can have problems with FM interference. On my setup, I have the CM7777 preamp which has a built-in FM filter which cleaned things up for me.
You also might want to try pointing your antenna at about halfway between the two towers and see if you get both okay -- I have my antenna outside pointing south away from the CF tower and still receive everything from CF off of the back of my antenna.
Malcolm
malstew is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-01-24, 11:41 AM   #167
roger1818
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by malstew View Post
If you put up a directional antenna CM4221HD pointed to the ESE you will probably be in pretty good shape for all the stations you are going to get.
The only issue with the 4221 is it won't receive VHF very well so Landowner would also need to add a VHF antenna. Looking at his TVFool results, since there is only about 40 degrees separation between towers, he should be able to use a small (suburban) VHF/UHF combo antenna. I know of a retailer that still has a couple VU-934SR's in stock, which, IMHO, would be an excellent choice for him.
roger1818 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-01-24, 12:37 PM   #168
roger1818
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC

bucketo,

Very strange that you can receive CHRO (/A\) on 5 but not 43. I am wondering if your bearings are off and you are actually pointing west of CF, either that or something local is blocking the signal from Herberts Corners. Moving the antenna outside may help with that.

The CM4221 is a UHF antenna and will not receive VHF (channels 2-13) especially VHF-LO (channels 2-6) very well, so adding a VHF antenna would help a lot for those channels. VHF antennas are very big, so for indoors, rabbit ears are about your only option, but outside there are better choices. As malstew said, an FM trap may also help, but I would add an antenna that will work with channel 6 first.
Old 2011-01-24, 01:43 PM   #169
Landowner
Rookie

Thanks for your suggestions Roger1818.
Is the VU934SRs available locally in Ottawa or from the link you provided in the note?
Would it fully replace the function of the HD360 saucer I currently have and pick up the HD signals as well as the saucer does?
Thanks again.
Doug
Landowner is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-01-24, 02:09 PM   #170
Rogue
Rookie

mrvanwinkles, thanks for the info

Quote:
PBS 18.1 goes from 1 edge at 25 ft to LOS at 30 ft.
(you have a tower now? about how high is it?)
(you said you'd like PBS back. You had PBS before? Previous place?)
(personal opinion - go high up in your situation)
No tower now but looking into one as I thought I may need one for better reception. Had PBS when we first moved in about 10 years ago and it eventually disappeeared. Ack of the height...thanks!

Quote:
...possibly multiple antennas pointed and combined or with separate down leads. Not sure. Multiple antennas/combining/distribution system... could get complex.
Will keep it simple for now and just work on HD TV.

Thanks for the Pre-amp info as well (and to Roger1818)
Rogue is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-01-24, 04:14 PM   #171
malstew
Rookie

Rogue,
where/how is your current antenna mounted? You might find if you simply replace it with a better antenna pointed in the right direction you get (PBS). From where you are you shouldn't have any difficulty getting CBS/FOX too.

Malcolm
Old 2011-01-25, 03:24 AM   #172
mrvanwinkles
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue
Had PBS when we first moved in about 10 years ago and it eventually disappeeared.
Ahh ... I see ... perhaps disappeared with the transition to digital broadcasting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue
No tower now but looking into one
Could always experiment first with an antenna temp mounted up on roof or chimney - just to see what comes in, before installing whole tower.

Just be very careful.

This sort of work is better in good weather - with no snow or ice or cold weather.
mrvanwinkles is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-01-25, 08:59 AM   #173
bucketo

Thanks guys for the info. I played around again last night and Global comes in the cleanest when pointing down to Herbert's corner, odd eh. I bet it will work out much better once I move up to the roof in the spring. Nothing comes in crystal clear from Herbert's but you can tell that it's clear enough that moving up to the roof will clean up these other channels.

As for A channel I think I am picking up channel 43 and not 5 from my original post. Took a look in the eyeTV software last night and it appears to have labeled it channel 5 in the EPG.

Definitely looking forward to getting an antenna up on the roof in the short term, sometime in the spring. When that time comes and if I was to upgrade to a larger antenna would I have any chance of getting CBS due south of here?

Here is my updated tvFool report if I was on the roof:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...3cf4a5289aa3e8

CBS is listed just on the fringe for sure but might be out too far. Once we go digital here in August I should be able to get most of the shows the wife likes to watch on canadian channels (ctv, global, city etc)

thanks again guys.
Old 2011-01-25, 11:31 AM   #174
malstew
Rookie

Bucketo --

At the bottom of your TVfool report there is a link to an explanation of the numbers in the report -- according to this explanation: "you need to end up with an NM value above 0 in order to pick up a station." I think that at a noise margin of -16dB you don't have a very good chance of picking up ch7(CBS).

I would do things in stages.

1) you could try an FM trap/filter on the antenna -- this cleaned up ch6 for me.

2) I think that the CM4211HD is a very good antenna for your situation -- it is at least worth trying it out on the roof by itself. Ignoring ch4 since you already have 4-1(ch25), Ch6 is the only VHF-lo station that you have and you have a lot of signal strength where you are for that station.

3) If you are still having problems with VHF signal quality (you don't have LOS to HC) you can add on a VHF antenna.
Old 2011-01-25, 11:51 AM   #175
roger1818
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landowner View Post
Thanks for your suggestions Roger1818.
No problem.

Quote:
Is the VU934SRs available locally in Ottawa or from the link you provided in the note?
No, it is not available locally. It is actually out of production and thus difficult to find, but has characteristics that make it desirable here in Ottawa. I do know of a distributor in the US that has 2 in stock though. It will require having it shipped to Ogdensburgh and picking it up there, but I may be coordinating a bulk order from them so you could piggy back on that.

Quote:
Would it fully replace the function of the HD360 saucer I currently have and pick up the HD signals as well as the saucer does?
It will fully replace your saucer and should be much better than it for all local channels (especially from your location).
Old 2011-01-25, 12:00 PM   #176
roger1818
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketo View Post
CBS is listed just on the fringe for sure but might be out too far.
I agree with malstew that at -16dB NM it too weak to receive reliably and I wouldn't spend any money trying. My rule of thumb is if it is close to -10 dB NM, great heroics are required. Much below that and it really isn't feasible.
Old 2011-01-25, 12:24 PM   #177
bucketo

Guys, great info and I'm learning at a fast pace here thanks to this thread. I will take your advice and report back later on as I upgrade my situation. Will leave CBS alone...

I think my time is better focused then on getting Global 6 and then CityTV from HC. That would cover off what we watch quite nicely.
Old 2011-01-25, 12:46 PM   #178
becks

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818
No, it is not available locally. It is actually out of production and thus difficult to find, but has characteristics that make it desirable here in Ottawa. I do know of a distributor in the US that has 2 in stock though. It will require having it shipped to Ogdensburgh and picking it up there, but I may be coordinating a bulk order from them so you could piggy back on that
I would be interested in jumping in too if possible.
becks is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-01-25, 01:05 PM   #179
roger1818
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by becks View Post
I would be interested in jumping in too if possible.
This antenna may or may-not be best for you . Can you provide a link to your TVFool results so we can help you make a selection?

BTW, this distributor has other obsolete antennas from Wade/Delhi (some of which are very interesting). Anyone interested in a bulk order PM me and I will send a list of what is available. I have no commercial interest in this, only want to order an antenna and see if we can save on shipping while helping others in the region.
Old 2011-01-25, 01:37 PM   #180
Landowner
Rookie

Roger 1818...I'd like to try one of the VU934SRs if you can bundle it into your order.
Thanks for the guidance.
Regards
Doug
Landowner is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.