Remote OTA antenna feed? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2010-06-18, 09:15 AM   #16
mr weather
Veteran

Amateur radio operators have done this for years by setting up a "remote base" at some high and electrically quiet spot and remotely controlling that transceiver from their home, etc.

Yes, it's not the same as a broadcast undertaking but the concept is similar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2010-06-18, 11:13 AM   #17
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Amateur radio licensing provides for a great deal of neat stuff that does not apply to the TV and Radio bands.

I'll say it again to be crystal clear with everyone - tread carefully because the routine result of unauthorized signal distribution cases is confiscation and a fine.

Regarding Slingbox, I'm taking the position for now that the status of using it to propagate an OTA antenna's signal in real time beyond the property lines is unclear. I have not heard of any proceedings to prevent it, nor to approve it.
Old 2010-06-20, 10:41 PM   #18
El Gran Chico
Veteran

Location: Toronto/Etobicoke - Bloor/Royal York/Queensway/Islington

I've been using a Slingbox and OTA for several years now, and not once have a been dragged away in leg-irons.

I think what saves Sling is the limitation of just one user at a time. If there were a some high number permitted, I imagine this would face legal challenges.

I see it as sort of like calling a friend on a cell phone from a baseball/hockey/football game and telling him what's going on. If you are just talking to one guy, nobody from the home team will be searching for you with binoculars from the press box. However, if it's discovered somebody is competing against the home team's radio and tv broadcasts by rebroadcasting a cell phone call over the internet, there's a good chance they will.
Old 2010-06-23, 10:44 AM   #19
classicsat
Veteran

For Amateur radio the concept is very different, not from a technical standpoint, but from a legal one, in that there are rights issues with commercial broadcast stations, and none with Amatuer Radio, since it is excplicitly non-commercial in nature.
Old 2010-06-30, 08:27 PM   #20
majortom
Veteran

What I've done is use GBPVR and a USB ATSC Tuner.
GBPVR has a built in web server interface, that ya can access remotely,
to remotely setup recordings and or stream live tv (or previously recorded material) back to yourself (basically a VLC plugin).

I've even accessed it from my iPhone, and streamed live tv to the phone.
Takes more playing adjusting transcoding, for the available bandwidth/latency of a cellular network versus a clean pipe to the internet, etc. but the concept works.

I would think your getting around any distribution issues also because it's web interface is password protected, so only you can access it.
Old 2013-12-18, 12:19 PM   #21
interdit_450

Question Sharing OTA tuner on WiFi considered MATV?

Funny question came up today while discussing with a colleague about the entry of all these new Tablo and HomeRun devices that make an OTA signal available on a WiFi network.

Take the scenario where someone living in a condo installs a HD HomeRun dual tuner fed by an OTA antenna on an open WiFi network (why the network would be open is beyond the scope of this discussion). In theory, any neighbour who can reach the Wifi network can connect to that tuner and watch OTA TV on their laptop, iPad or Smart TV.

Is this setup considered a MATV?

Not sure how viable or practical this would be seeing as the WiFi network would need to be open but it got us scratching our heads ... so why not ask the forum?
Old 2013-12-18, 12:55 PM   #22
blueroomelectro

Here's the rub, IP tuners like the HDHomeRun will only connect to one client device at a time. On the other hand a WMC can dish it out to multiple extenders (Xbox 360's).
Old 2013-12-18, 02:23 PM   #23
holl_ands
Veteran

Ditto Slingbox (now built into some TiVo DVR's) remote streamer that can be connected to CATV for watching ANY Cable Channel from ANYWHERE in the World....if you know the device's Webaddress. The (only one-at-a-time) remote user uses a pop-up window that looks just like a standard CATV R/C device to take over control of the local DVR via an IR Blaster that drapes over the front of the DVR or STB.

FYI: There are Forums to facilitate SWAPPING Slingbox Webaddress with someone outside your Sports BLACK-OUT area.....or whatever your motivation....

I set my Slingbox up so that my kidz could take over one of my DVR's while stationed overseas....and time-zone shift ensured very little overlap with local viewing/recording.

By definition, MATV servers MULTIPLE users....so clearly one-on-one IP Streamers are NOT an MATV.

Of course, once the (unencrypted?) HDHomeRun IP Stream has been received by a PC, a program could probably be written to broadcast it out as a Unicast Stream to multiple users on a Wi-Fi network.....or even use an inexpensive Semcore ATSC Encoder Card to drive a local low-power transmitter.....at which point it might be skirting both Interference and Licensing regulations....
Old 2013-12-18, 10:14 PM   #24
interdit_450

Hi guys, actually there are HD HomeRun devices with dual tuners and "pro" models with 8 tuners ... from what I understand multiple devices can grab any tuner as long as they have network access (although I imagine the 8-tuner one must be killer on your router)

Also look at Tablo - there is a 4 tuner model ... if that were connected via an open WiFi in a college dorm, 4 TVs in 4 different apartments could connect to it with their AppleTV boxes
Old 2013-12-19, 12:46 AM   #25
blueroomelectro

Tablo isn't for sale yet, why they couldn't put an internal HDD bay in it is a mystery, also how are they getting / handling EPG data (free)? If your dorm mates have Xbox 360's then WMC is a better bet.

I wonder how Tablo plans to get an AppleTV to work as playback device?
Old 2013-12-19, 09:20 AM   #26
interdit_450

I think we’re falling a bit off topic here. The point of my question is that sharing an OTA signal received from an antenna between multiple residences has always been considered illegal (i.e. cannot have someone split a coax from their antenna between their house and neighbour) If there are multiple residences in the same building (apartments, condos), distribution is accomplished using a MATV system which is legal.

The question we were discussing is what applies if instead of a coax running from the antenna to the neighbour’s TV, an OTA tuner is made available on an open WiFi network that a neighbour is able to connect to and watch live TV?

Maybe this example can clarify: Joe installs an indoor antenna and an HD HomeRun DUAL on his WiFi network in his apartment. He watches his OTA TV on a laptop and never uses the second tuner. He shares his WiFi password with Mary, his neighbour across the hall who connects to the second tuner to watch OTA on her iPad as her primary source of live TV. Has Joe essentially created a “wireless” MATV?
Old 2014-02-28, 03:25 PM   #27
clipperbcit
Rookie

Question Using a remote OTA antenna wirelessly?

I am located in a valley and can only get 7 OTA TV signals. At the top of the hill from where I live I was able to get 20+ OTA channels. The distance is a 3-4 min drive, so too far to string a cable. My question is there a way that I could have the antenna at the top of the hill and somehow capture the signal via the internet and access it on my computer at home?
Old 2014-02-28, 04:16 PM   #28
ExDilbert
Veteran

It maybe possible to install a HDHomerun tuner and access it remotely. Bandwidth is fairly high so I would use one of the new MPEG4 versions. I believe they also have a media server built in. That should provide the simplest solution and best picture but may be tricky to setup over the internet. Can't say I've used an HDHomerun on anything but a LAN but they work great in that scenario.

Another possibility would be to use a Slingbox. The Slingbox is well proven.
Old 2014-02-28, 05:11 PM   #29
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

clipperbcit here is a thread on that topic:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=200809
Old 2014-05-08, 06:11 PM   #30
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Default Thread Discussing Legalities

mrmemario here's some terrific info in the following thread on the legalities/illegalities regarding OTA, including about crossing property lines:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=85247

We'll keep this current thread about the technical side of things.

Tags
antenna, internet, ota