Motorola 3416 on sale $198 - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Communications > Shaw Cable HD tuner and HD PVR Discussion

Old 2010-05-19, 12:05 AM   #31
Shaw Champ

Location: AB. LG47"LE5500/Toshiba 32E200U /BDC6500/ Shaw Gateway

@ Flashmeister, Do you work for Shaw? If so you would know we have a good long standing relationship with Motorola. Part of that is 500GB upgrade on the DCX3400. The DCX line is good to go, as travisc says with a firmware update and that is something that is still being worked on. Staff training has been underway the past month on the capabilites. We actually looked at the DCX line over a year ago (pdf) originally and since updates with the A28 guide things have progressed signifcantly. There is still work to be done which is why the MoCA ability will not be there for launch. Internally from an account perspective our systems have already been updated. That same window for launch is anytime over the next few weeks, starting from tomorrow, is dependant on inventory levels and has a window of a month. Of course any unreleased product can be categorized as vapourware, nothing wrong with that, technically it is true. But the DCX 3400 will launch very soon. They have been in the office many months now.
With reference to Pace, the DC900X is an option we have been looking at taking. Pace guys have been in up in AB not so long ago taking in feedback and we have been working on some issues that some customers have been experiencing and getting some first hand experience. That DC900X model has released quite successfully in Florida under other companies. It would be natural upgrade option down the road. Nothing is set in stone as far as I am aware but it is something we are looking at. The Pace guys made us aware testing is ongoing and the two companies are also building up a good relationship.

@ Bowmah we continue to work with Pace, the last 2 firmware updates we a result of some significant feedback, documented in other threads here. We were told today as an update that there will be another fix coming soon. Some of the most common issues have been fixed. I can only suggest to either wait a little while longer or we should swap your equipment out. Personally I have a Whistler and a 3416. I have experieced hiccups on both equipment since ownership, I am not going to lie or give you the run around. The 3416 has been more reliable, but since the last update for Pace I have not had the same issues seen previously (yet - & fingers crossed there). Please bear in mind we also have many Pace customers with no issues either. Personally I have worked in a lot of different dept's at Shaw. We are confident that our infrastructure offers a superior more flexible approach. Both the DCX3400 and "potentially" the newer Pace box have the MoCA ability. You might of heard about Mediaroom that some our our competitors use. As neat as some of the features are there are still limitation based on delivery of the signal to the home and the end result. Yes there is some decent flexibility there but there is still the confines typically to a maximum of 3 live tv broadcasts and as far as I am aware previously recorded programs can be watched on up to 4 tv's. However, you can not rewind live content on any other TV apart from the one that is hooked up to the PVR. When enabled with a firmware update the DCX line support something very similar. Our infrastructure will not reduce your internet speed when a TV is turned on for example, out equipment allows for expandability, something our competitors in this area lack. A whole home PVR used in a "Full" home can use the hard drive up fast. Personally I believe that one has to change to many common habits in a trade off for some benefits in the system, but the approach is the right one to take. One thing we don't want you to be is frustrated, it doesn't do anyone any favours. All I can say is by the end of this week we should have more news on a further update with Pace.
From a financial versus benefits perspective, depending on your location and what offices are close to you the 3416 on sale with an expander offers great choice . Techincally you get get two for two tv's (only 1 at $198 though) and have a proper PVR functionality over 2 tv's.

Sorry about the wall of text!

------------------

Shaw Employee but views/opinions are solely my own and do not represent or are in no way endorsed by any other party.

Last edited by Shaw Champ; 2010-05-19 at 12:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2010-05-19, 12:43 AM   #32
travisc
Veteran

As a sidenote, I think the limit for the Pace gear is 6 HD streams - apparently that's the max bandwidth the spec allows? This was at CableLabs conference in February - could be they've upped it since then, though.
Old 2010-05-19, 12:48 AM   #33
Shaw Champ

@ Travisc we was told can simultaneously record six HD programs at the same time that three HD set-top boxes are playing back an HD program, which gets you up to 9 HD MPEG-2 streams, with SD TV the number of streams goes up, and if you have got the MPEG-4, they go up too. Will be interesting in seeing further development here.

------------------

Shaw Employee but views/opinions are solely my own and do not represent or are in no way endorsed by any other party.
Old 2010-05-19, 04:46 PM   #34
faston
Veteran

Thanks for all your great info Shaw Champ. Hope you continue to visit here. This DCX news makes me very happy as I really need to upgrade my 6412 and was tempted a couple of months ago to go with the Pace that was on sale. Now I am glad I waited. One of those DCX's will be mine as soon as I can make it happen!
Old 2010-05-19, 05:49 PM   #35
bowmah

@Shaw Champ, thanks for the insight. I have heard nothing but bad news with the Pace units, in fact, even from techs that I have spoken to on the phone. Like yourself, they are just being honest and a good support person. The latest firmware fix did something to my Pace unit so it is definitely going back.

I am excited to hear that the new DCX3400 is out soon, this week perhaps? Can you confirm the cost is $400? If so, I may just wait for it instead of purchasing the $198 3416. From my last call with Shaw, I was told they did not have any new units so where would I even source this unit for the price that you mentioned? The only place that has that I know of is Best Buy and they have it for $350 now. Any tips? In fact, can you also confirm that the DCX3400, with a simple firmware update, will be able to send recorded HD material throughout the house?
Old 2010-05-19, 07:07 PM   #36
Shaw Champ

@ Bowmah I can confirm the price is set at $398 + any provincial taxes for the DCX 3400. We are still gathering inventory from our National distribution centre which supplies all our systems. Retail stores will be gaining that inventory any time now, some sooner than others but it will happen over the next few weeks. We are hoping Shaw will be updated soon. As for the firmware update, there is still some teething issues which may take a little while to get sorted out I can not put a timeline on when that update will roll out at this time. The box is a solid box and comes with a good reputation. I can confirm it will have the modem built into it for future whole home capability but is disabled at launch. 3rd party retailers will not have the DCX3400's in the short term foreseeable future. The STB itself is pretty slick with easy touch face front panel, nice white LED lighting. It is a bit chunky retro looking and black colour.

Bit shorter in width and taller in height.

------------------

Last edited by Shaw Champ; 2010-05-20 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Forgot Sig
Old 2010-05-19, 09:54 PM   #37
bowmah

@Shaw Champ, that is good news. So just to confirm, only Shaw outlets will have the new units correct? I will have to go to a Shaw office to purchase one?

Also, when you say it has a new built-in modem, this is for future upgrades for viewing recorded TV around the house?

I don't mind paying for a good unit and if you say the DCX 3400 is solid, I believe you. I just need to get my hands on one!
Old 2010-05-20, 12:22 AM   #38
Shaw Champ

@ Bowmah Hey there, yes and yes and yes to the three questions

------------------

Old 2010-05-20, 12:41 AM   #39
sonyxbr

Default DCX 3400

Shaw Champ will the whole home capability work with existing STB Motorola 6200, 2500, 700 & 6416 or do we have to buy all new STB ?
Old 2010-05-20, 02:23 AM   #40
flashmeister

There are two different features of the DCX3400:

DOCSIS 2 modem - which is another method the box can use to communicate with head-end equpiment (yawn, but opens some doors...)

and

MoCA - which is what is needed for multi-room PVR.

There is a lot of info on the Internet on both if you want to look it up...

Since older boxes do not have MoCA, they won't be able to participate in a multi-room PVR setup. This may all be a moot point since there is no certainty that Shaw will roll out this feature. If you read the forums from places that have deployed Multi-room PVR solutions, you will see that there are some problems getting them to operate properly (boxes don't always see each other because of too many splitters, poor wiring, etc)

Again, these opinions are mine and not necessarily those of my employer...
Old 2010-05-20, 10:55 AM   #41
travisc
Veteran

sonyxbr, you'll need new boxes. The DCX3400, 3200 and 700 are all MoCA capable.
Old 2010-05-20, 11:43 AM   #42
bowmah

Where do you watch for the announcement that we can purchase the new DCX3400. Would someone mind posting it here when it's available at Shaw outlets?
Old 2010-05-20, 01:45 PM   #43
cmackay

Location: Salmon Arm, Samsung LN-T5265F, DCT-6416, B-Ray, Yamaha 6080, Energy Surround, Velodyne DPS-12B Sub.

Shawchamp: Can you confirm the pricing on the HD only DCX (3200?), you say launch price for the 3400 will be $398, that's the dual tuner PVR correct?
Old 2010-05-20, 07:36 PM   #44
Shaw Champ

@cmackay hey there, no current plans to roll out the 3200 model that I know of right now. The DCX3400 is the dual tuner HDPVR @ $398.00 yes.

Still think the Pace with the expander in Shaw Guru's other thread is a great deal too.
Old 2010-05-20, 07:37 PM   #45
cmackay

Location: Salmon Arm, Samsung LN-T5265F, DCT-6416, B-Ray, Yamaha 6080, Energy Surround, Velodyne DPS-12B Sub.

sweet, thanks for the info!

Tags
3416, motorola, pvr, sale