MTS TV vs. Bell TV - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > Television Industry / Channels and Providers

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2010-05-10, 12:45 AM   #1
C C

Question MTS TV vs. Bell TV

Hi all, the thread title is to attract some interest

I'm moving to Winnipeg soon and looking for some good TV options out there.

Currently I'm a Bell subscriber (satellite not IPTV) but saw a demo of the MTS Ultimate TV and I liked what I saw. I liked the guide, the whole home PVR functionality and general concept overall, if the price is right I would definitely switch but I've done some number crunching an it doesn't look good.

I don't want to go back in terms of channels I get right now, so I'm trying to compare apples to apples (in terms of channels I currently receive with Bell).

With Bell I have 1 basic SD receiver for the kitchen and 1 9242 HD PVR for the home theater (via HDMI) and also wired to the family room (via component for HD). For those who don't know about Bell, the 9242 can be set-up to either act as a 2 output receiver (2 different TV 1 HD and 1 SD) or as a one output with a dual tuner, since the HDMI and Component connections are live at the same time I use the receiver to feed 2 HDTV's in the house. I use 1 IR remote for the home theater (where the PVR is) and one UHF remote for upstairs and since very very rarely both TV's upstairs and downstairs will be on at the same time this setup works well. But anyways, back to the numbers.

With Bell I have digital basic plus 6 theme groups and premium channels for $81.00, add 4 HD theme groups plue HD timeshift for $10.00, add $4.71 for digital fee and CRTC fee, add $20.00 for the PVR rental, then subtract $18.00 for a loyalty discount I get and that equals $97.71 before taxes.

To get the same channels with MTS (not quite all HD channels though, read AMC, HDNET) I would have to pay $79.99 for Digital+9 groups (including movies package), add $20.00 for all HD theme groups, add $5.00 for the whole home PVR service, add $6.00 to rent 2 additional HD receivers (I need three total and 1 comes free) and that equals $110.99 before taxes.

A difference of $13.28 between the two providers for:

- Fewer HD channels on MTS
+ 3 HD receivers connected to the same PVR
- Maybe no 3D HDTV on MTS coming soon? I'm looking forward for 3D sports and Bell seems to have a channel coming soon.
+ Nice guide, responsiveness, speed with MTS
- Less space on the MTS PVR for HD recordings, I have an external hard drive on my Bell PVR to archive recordings.
+ Can have 3 HDTV's independent with MTS

I briefly talked to a MTS store clerk to see what they would offer me to switch, but all he did was to refer me to the promotion that any new customer gets. No offence but it is kinda lame but I guess that's all market driven, but they offer 3 free months of whole home PVR service and 2 HD boxes rental, and $30.00 for the basic+9 package for 3 months.

I know there are a lot of MTS customer that frequent this forum, anybody have any tips to get the best deal? Like I said before, they offer me a really good package and I will switch, I can take the disadvantages MTS has compared to Bell for the right price (would have to be somehow cheaper than what I pay Bell right now, hopefully).

Any help is appreciated, thanks for reading and sorry for the long post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2010-05-10, 08:17 AM   #2
SomeRandomGuy

if you like Bell for what you have stick with it. I had Bell and MTS in my opinion is better, but that is soley my opinion. Now htat I have whole home PVR I won't switch to anyone else.

I think for the most part it is customer preference as to provider, and I guess since I am not a native Manitobian I am not subject to the "cheap gene" so I don't mind paying a few more dollars for a better quality service.
Old 2010-05-10, 02:59 PM   #3
C C

Thanks for the reply.

Not a native Manitoban myself either, and I don't think I'm cheap either when I'm paying over $100.oo for TV. I agree, from what I've seen so far I like MTS TV Ultimate better but I'm really not qualified enough as I have not used the service myself, I just played around with it at a connect store.

Just trying to find a good deal to switch. I saw on another thread that somebody was offered the following:

"2 yr free pvr service
2 yr free pvr rental
hd starter free, cant remember time frame
and i believe 1 free extra box for 6 months."
Old 2010-05-10, 08:24 PM   #4
Dr.Dave

Hi C C.

The special price you are referring to above was for someone that had purchased an HD STB on the old MTS Classic system and was converting to MTS Ultimate.

For your situation, you can probably get the best deal by phoning MTS. They may give you a better promo price if you're switching from Bell (it's worth a try).

MTS also has bundle pricing. For example, you get a monthly discount of $10 for TV and internet. You get additional discounts for wireless and alarm systems.

MTS also has an offer for a free wireless plan if you have a land line, TV and internet.

Regarding your pricing comparison: it looks like the reason Bell is lower priced in your circumstance is the loyalty discount ($18) and the SD STB (I assume you own this) ($4). I'm not sure if you get the loyalty discount automatically or if you have to renegotiate this every year with the loyalty department.

I assume you've already bought your new house in Winnipeg and the configuration of your 9242 will work.
Old 2010-05-11, 10:31 AM   #5
C C

Thanks for the info Dr. Dave, now I understand how the other customer got such a good deal.

You are correct, in my case Bell is cheaper because of the loyalty discount (which was offered to me once I mentioned I was considering switching to MTS). However, if I had bought the 9242 PVR instead of renting I would save $20 a month but of course I had to ditch $300+ for it. I've had the PVR for about 24 months so I'm on the red for not buying the unit when I had a chance (they don't offer the 9242 anymore and I can't buy it the one I'm renting either).

Anyways, have to put some thought on this for the next couple of weeks before moving to the new house.

Thanks for the help.