Apparently, I Signed Up for Paper-Free Billing... - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Direct (formerly Star Choice)

Old 2010-05-06, 04:21 PM   #1
TheHans

Default Apparently, I Signed Up for Paper-Free Billing...

I received an e-mail from Shaw Direct saying that I'd signed up for paper-free billing. But I didn't. I *did* enter that contest for the free 530, but I did that two weeks ago and definitely didn't tick the box for getting paper-free billing. I phoned Shaw Direct and I'm waiting for a call back from the person who apparently added paper-free billing to my account to find out how that happened.

I'm curious, has this happened to anyone else recently? Where they received a notification that they'd signed up for paper-free billing when they didn't?

The Hans
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2010-05-06, 04:51 PM   #2
ralph_sinclair

I haven't received any notifications for paper free billing, but I sure haven't been getting a lot of paper bills lately. I guess they decided to sign me up and keep the $5.
Old 2010-05-06, 04:57 PM   #3
North Of Sixty
Rookie

Default Apparently, I Signed Up for Paper-Free Billing...

Yes, this occurred to me also, didn't receive my paper bills for three months...I contacted them when they discontinued my service letting me know I hadn't paid them.

They stated they sent me e-bills which was going to an incorrect email address?

I had asked when/who switched me to paperless, and said I did...which did not occur, therefore I let them know that since I did not make any changes I will have to contact Canada Post and inquire if there is mail tampering.

SD became quite nervous about this.
Old 2010-05-06, 05:13 PM   #4
das75

but are you saving money being paperless?
Old 2010-05-07, 08:10 AM   #5
JamesK
Veteran

^^^^
It does reduce the cost of providing service, which may eventually reach you. However, for me, the biggest advantage is not having to deal with all that paper every month. I can even configure my email filters to sort them for me.

Quote:
Where they received a notification that they'd signed up for paper-free billing when they didn't?
IIRC, I was sent a confirmation e-mail with a link that had to be clicked on to activate paperless billing. Without doing that, the paper bills don't stop.
Old 2010-05-07, 09:27 AM   #6
mr weather
Veteran

I activated my Ontario Value Pack in late February and haven't received a bill yet. Should I be concerned?
Old 2010-05-07, 09:32 AM   #7
QCK

mr weather: I'd call and straighten it out.
Old 2010-05-07, 10:20 AM   #8
rob1

I received the email as well.... I called them about but the rep had no idea why I received it without signing up.

Must be a mass mail from SD.

As far as the $5.00 credit or two PPV's - you only get this with paper billing PLUS auto payment.

Cheers
Old 2010-05-07, 11:01 AM   #9
d_source

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr weather View Post
I activated my Ontario Value Pack in late February and haven't received a bill yet. Should I be concerned?
mr weather - I am on the OVP as well and when the salesmen sold me this package it was contingent that you go paperless for billing. IE. you were enrolled fromt eh start. You had to have given them an email address when you signed up. You e-bills are being sent there and what you owe is being automatically deducted from the credit card you signed up with them.
Old 2010-05-07, 11:24 AM   #10
classicsat
Veteran

They don't actually email you a bill for paperless billing, just a notice to go to the self-serve website to see your bill.

I suspect the OP was confused. Whenever I see the offer, it is "sign up for paperless billing, and we will enter you into a contest to win a 530".
Old 2010-05-07, 08:47 PM   #11
mr weather
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_source View Post
mr weather - I am on the OVP as well and when the salesmen sold me this package it was contingent that you go paperless for billing. IE. you were enrolled fromt eh start. You had to have given them an email address when you signed up. You e-bills are being sent there and what you owe is being automatically deducted from the credit card you signed up with them.
None of that happened to me. Nothing about paperless billing. Nothing about credit card invoicing. Nothing about epost (if they use it). I don't even recall giving them an e-mail address, and if I did I've received nothing from them and there's nothing in my spam forlder. The only charge on my credit card from Shaw Direct was when I first signed up and had to pay for the 530.

I dealt with direct sales in Calgary so maybe that makes a difference?

I will call customer service and find out in any case.
Old 2010-05-08, 05:41 PM   #12
TheHans

So, a couple more people got paper-free billing without signing up? Sorry, but that's what I'm trying to find out (see original post) because I think it's weird that this happened when I didn't sign up for it.

Some other posts are dealing with other issues about paper-free billing and billing in general. These things aren't really on this topic, no offence, really.

My point with this thread is to figure out if this has happened to other people who get paper bills normally and suddenly were signed up for paper-free billing without doing it. And are aware that this happened to them. Shaw Direct e-mailed the rep who (apparently) made this change on my account, but he has yet to contact me. I just think you can never be too careful when things involving your identity happen without your knowledge.

The Hans
Old 2010-05-09, 04:53 PM   #13
gretzky

it happened to me too
i asked them to stop it because i've changed my email adress without giving them so i hope they stopped
Old 2010-05-10, 08:36 AM   #14
d_source

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr weather View Post
None of that happened to me. Nothing about paperless billing. Nothing about credit card invoicing. Nothing about epost (if they use it). I don't even recall giving them an e-mail address, and if I did I've received nothing from them and there's nothing in my spam forlder. The only charge on my credit card from Shaw Direct was when I first signed up and had to pay for the 530.

I dealt with direct sales in Calgary so maybe that makes a difference?

I will call customer service and find out in any case.
i actually had someone come to my house and we filled in the paper work together (after i bombarded him with Qs) and then he called head office to set up the acct afetr that. Maybe that's the difference, the fact that i had a salesman come and spend the time to sell me the deal since i knew nothing about it ahead of time.
Old 2010-05-10, 02:53 PM   #15
Gamer12
Rookie

You wont be signed up for paperless unless you click the accept link in the email