Fallout: New Vegas - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Entertainment > Video Game Consoles and PC Gaming

Old 2011-02-07, 03:48 AM   #31
dezzpayne

Finally got around to playing. To me it feels like a big expansion of Fallout 3. It plays EXACTLY like Fallout which isn't unexpected but all the little nuances from F3 are still there. Same artwork, models, etc. As the game has a silent protagonist you don't have much of an emotional attachment to them so to me it just feels like it's still the same guy/gal running around on a new map.

Still fun to go out and explore but the bugs and the extremely similar feel take some of the shine off the 2nd time around. Personally I am having allot of little split second freezes as I walk, not game stopping but enough to remind me this is just a video game aka enough to kill the immersion.

Also, much of the music from this generation is public domain so why do both games INSIST on only having like 10 songs? To me personally the radio stations in Fallout really set the tone and I love exploring listening to the in-game radio. I find the lack of selection depressing and the main reason why I was leaning towards the PC versions (you can download a huge song pack). Also, 3 dog was so much better than....whatshisname.

So yeah, good game but so far but if it wasn't for the fact I already know Obsidian made it I would say it was the same studio. Obsidian didn't really add or expand much on the winning formula.

7.5 out of a possible 10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-11-29, 12:47 PM   #32
Francois Caron
Veteran

Just started playing not that long ago (bought PC version for $20 of Steam -- was available for $10 a week later ) and it doesn't seem to crash anywhere near as often as it used to based on previous reports.

But as I'm moving ahead in the game, I feel as if the turnout I would have preferred simply isn't available. After reading through the various endgame options on the Fallout Wiki, It seems like every one of them leads to an all-out war. There's no option to invoke a more peaceful resolution to the Mojave conflict, or at least one that allows you to squeeze out the more unpleasant factions from the area, and have the "grey area" factions start working together with the "good" factions and improve life for everyone on a massive scale.

I should have known that an American made game wouldn't have included a more peaceful "Canadian" style endgame option, preferring conflict over cooperation.
Old 2011-11-29, 01:23 PM   #33
Dioneo
Veteran

Keep in mind the whole theme of the Fallout series is that "War. War never changes."
Old 2011-11-29, 04:56 PM   #34
Blackloz

I bought this game and have yet to play it. Maybe I should.
Old 2011-11-29, 08:16 PM   #35
Francois Caron
Veteran

Be advised, even when you know how to speed through the game, you'll still play for HOURS and HOURS going through as many quests as possible! We're talking potential triple digit play hours here!

One big advantage of waiting a few months before buying the game: thorough game reviews, latest updates, and dirt cheap price!

Hint: if you're fed up dying all the time, and you want to carry as much crap as inhumanely possible, press "~" ("#" on French Canadian keyboards) and type "tgm".
Old 2011-12-03, 11:21 AM   #36
Thedude

I loved Fallout and New Vegas. Both were similar but the storylines were captivating to me. Fallout got me into the music of Roy Brown and many
artists from that time period. New Vegas got me into the music of Dean Martin and Peggy Lee. In fact I just bought a Benny Goodman album with Peggy Lee singing.
At the end of New Vegas I thought it might have even been better than Fallout and that is saying a lot.
Old 2011-12-03, 01:19 PM   #37
dezzpayne

Very much looking forward to a Fallout on the new Skyrim engine. If it's on the PS3/360 I'll be forced to buy it for the PC. I do love my PS3 trophies but trophies can't be everything.