Infinity Ward RIP 2002-2010 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Entertainment > Video Game Consoles and PC Gaming

Old 2010-04-27, 09:11 PM   #1
dezzpayne

Default Infinity Ward RIP 2002-2010

If you follow the gaming industry you no doubt realize how Activision has taken the crown from E.A as the company everyone loves to hate. Activision merged with Blizzard (no idea why Blizzard did this as everyone knows Bobby Kotick's passion was short term monetary gains, not as a long term healthy and prosperous publisher). Activision owned 2 of the hottest IP's in the world in Guitar Hero and Call of Duty. Guitar Hero is all but dead as it was driven into the ground with too many sequels in too short a time (short term profits) which leaves Call Of Duty as the golden goose and an impressive goose is was.

Been an interesting month or so. It started with the parent Activision showing up with big burly men and showing the door to the President Jason West and CTO Vince Zampella at the IW offices. What followed has been a daily update to the body count of employees leaving IW after West and Zampella found a new home at rival E.A. As with any good breakup it centers around money and lawsuits.

A Few links with various details.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinity_Ward

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/70...d-Hostage.html

Hard to keep track of how many staffers IW have lost but it seems to be atleast 25% of the studio. No doubt the core of the development team.

I can foresee Bobby Kotick getting out of the gaming industry post haste although I'm sure Bobby won't be too sad over the parting. Since buying a controlling interest in Activision for $500K he has maid tens of millions of dollars off the franchises.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Kotick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2010-04-28, 06:55 PM   #2
dezzpayne

O wow "maid", wonder where my mind was there
Old 2010-04-29, 12:59 AM   #3
eimaj

Default RIP COD

I just played the two worst cheat filled games of my life. I quit out of both because of all the losers who can't play fair. This game is dead to me. IW is a shite company that can't even fix glitches. Long live Bad Company.
Old 2010-04-29, 06:40 AM   #4
MarcP
Veteran

Quote:
Activision merged with Blizzard (no idea why Blizzard did this as everyone knows Bobby Kotick's passion was short term monetary gains, not as a long term healthy and prosperous publisher)
Correction. Activision merged with Vivendi Games which owns Blizzard. The combined entity was renamed Activision Blizzard, but Blizzard still remains a self-controlled entity.
Old 2010-04-29, 01:00 PM   #5
NineBall

Another slight correction being that no staff have actually defected to rival EA but to Zampella and West's new company, Respawn Entertainment, who signed a publishing/distribution contract with EA but are a wholly owned independant studio. That may change if the past repeats itself as it did with Infinity Ward when Zampella and West originally left EA.
Old 2010-04-29, 01:08 PM   #6
dezzpayne

Both corrections are correct! Was bit of a rush job. Rumors now are circulating that they may shutter the studio entirely. Wonder if Bungie is interested in making a COD game?