System Integrity Test - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Bell Canada Enterprises (BCE) > Bell Satellite TV

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2010-04-22, 11:49 PM   #1
trishcollins

Default System Integrity Test

My 5200 PVR has been freezing a lot lately. It's 5 years old and I use it alot, so I figure it's about ready to die. Tonight after it froze during playback of a recorded show, I did what I normally do after attempts to use the remote to stop, rewind, pause, or go to the guide fail --I restarted the hardware from the front panel. I walked away to do something else and came back 5 mins later with the screen showing "System Integrity Check" and telling me not to interrupt or reboot, and it should take about 10 mins. It's now been 40 mins. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2010-04-23, 12:02 AM   #2
ScaryBob
Veteran

Do not interrupt it and wait... It's quite likely the disk was corrupt. That can take up to a couple of hours to fix. If it's not fixed after 12 hours, unplug and try again.
Old 2010-05-10, 06:39 PM   #3
trishcollins

Well, I didn't take your advice. I went ahead and rebooted. No worse than it was before, however, over the last few weeks, I have had to reboot it at least 2-3 a night. It usually freezes when I try and use the other TV remote control (I have a second TV off the back, a feature of the 5200).

The hard disk is definitely corrupted. I will try and run the test overnight and see if it helps.

Is it possible to get it serviced? I would think the fact that it's obsolete would make that impossible.

If I could buy the 9242, I would, but not interested in the 9241 and although rumours are swirling around about a 9252, I can't wait forever, this thing is dying.
Old 2010-05-10, 09:13 PM   #4
Ex Agent EV
Veteran

Bell will offer you, if you call them, refurbished PVR at 149$. They will offer you same model you have or better

PS:I've been out of Bell Express Vu since 2007, price might have increased since
Old 2010-05-10, 09:51 PM   #5
trishcollins

Thanks. Never thought of that. Will give them a call.

Trish
Old 2010-05-11, 07:03 AM   #6
Pinza
Veteran

Or you could consider Dish Care......
Old 2010-05-12, 05:50 AM   #7
vmpv

What kind of drive is in a 5200? If it's an ide drive rather than a sata drive, I would pop the cover and reseat the ide cable at both ends in case it's a connectivity problem. Have to do this on my 5100 every once in a while
Old 2010-05-20, 10:09 AM   #8
ScaryBob
Veteran

It's not worth getting a refurbished 5200. What's left in the refurb pool are probably end of life units that won't last long. Chances are that the 9252 will be available this Summer. As an existing customer, you might be able to get a no contract rental on a 9241 or 6131 for a few months or get a discount on a purchase. (See the retentions thread.) Note that the 9252 may also only have one TV out.

As vmpv suggested, a little DIY maintenance may help. Take the top off and gently clean it out with some compressed air (available at Costco or computer stores.) Then reseat all the connectors.