Replacing drive in the SA430 PVR? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Telus > Telus IPTV (also known as Optik TV)

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2011-04-24, 07:53 PM   #16
scottboarder
Rookie

more info on upgrading the CIS430 would be appriciated, is there a guide? is it as simple as swapping the connectors on the 5v/12v and mirroring the drive?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-04-25, 08:41 AM   #17
Dr.Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by poke View Post
I upgraded my current TIVO hard drive to 1TB so am not too keen on going to 320GB when I switch to Telus.
You'll find that Telus records more hours/GB than TiVo since it stores the native datastream which is MPEG-4. TiVo series 2 encodes analog signals which takes more space. TiVo series 3 stores MPEG-2 OTA signals which take more space than MPEG-4. According to the Telus web site:
Quote:
Record up to 115 hours of HD programming or 295 hours of standard definition programming.
In addition, I would be leery of anyone claiming that they can expand a Mediaroom PVR to 2 TB, since I've read several places that the underlying OS (Windows CE 5) only supports drives up to about 500 GB. If you want to proceed, I would suggest using a drive designed for a PVR, preferably the same manufacturer and series as the original.
Old 2011-04-25, 01:55 PM   #18
Meestor_X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dave View Post
since I've read several places that the underlying OS (Windows CE 5) only supports drives up to about 500 GB.
Where did you read that? Windows CE 5 has only a (theoretical) limit of 128 petabyes for the hd, using 48-bit LBA. If they happened to use FAT32, they'd be limited to 32gb partitions, so I doubt they did that. Where would a 500gb limit come from?
Old 2011-04-28, 12:16 AM   #19
Dr.Dave

Meestor_X, most of the info I've seen on the subject has been AT&T Mediaroom users experimenting with upgrading their hard drives. My understanding is that Mediaroom allocates a small FAT partition and the remainder of the drive as FAT32 for storing the recordings.

Mediaroom preallocates the FAT32 partition with 1 GB files and does it's own file management, presumably to avoid fragmentation and improve performance.

The 32GB limit was introduced in Windows 2000, because performance can degrade with large drives in a general computer environment. Windows 98 FDISK could create FAT32 partitions up to 512GB. Perhaps Windows CE 5 has the same limitation.
Old 2011-07-22, 08:31 AM   #20
kevinmuff
Rookie

Default CIS 430 HDD Upgrade

I just purchased a CIS 430 HD PVR, and noticed that the 320gb WD Blue HDD is very easily assessable.
Has anyone had any experience replacing the HDD with a bigger one?
Idealy, i would like to put at a 2TB HDD in, but im assuming ill be lucky if it even supports 1TB.
I have read some people talking about it before, but no one actually doing it.
Is it possible?

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2011-07-22 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Moved to existing thread
Old 2011-07-24, 05:07 PM   #21
bimmerdriver

If you purchased the unit, you can remove the drive, clone it to a larger drive and see what happens. If it doesn't boot up, you could put the original drive back in. Of course, it's easy for me to say this, but I don't own my PVR and I don't want to deal with the consequences if it doesn't work.
Old 2013-06-29, 02:24 AM   #22
Tony Vancouver
Rookie

Is there any updated info on this, after 2 years?
Old 2013-06-29, 10:39 PM   #23
Dr.Dave

The only update I have is that Telus now says that you can record up to 198 hours of HD on the current PVRs. That should satisfy most people.

I haven't seen anything new on hard drive upgrades for any of the Canadian telcos (which all run MediaRoom). I haven't checked AT&T lately though.
Old 2013-07-20, 10:50 AM   #24
creepwalker

hello all... i have just gone back to Telus and got all new equipment... anyways i had my last PVR sitting in the corner and not activated as only allowed one PVR which they dont swap for another terminal.. anyways if anyone wants it for testing ( i live in edmonton close to downtown) please contact me before i freecycle it or worse put in the bin.... if i get more than one reply i will do a draw... oh and fastest pickup always gets in faster. i live close to downtown
steve

Tags
hard drives, optik, pvr